Hippa to da Hoppa, you just don't stoppa
‹ Previous123456784
  • A list thread. 

"What up B, they can't shut up me
    Shut down I, not even P.E., I'mma ride
    God forgive me for my brash delivery"

I love me some Hip Hop, and it's an interesting genre, I reckon, for thinking about top 5s and such, and who has some legs, who's entertaining, who's actually got something to say etc etc.

I'm all for loose rules in a list thread, otherwise it's not interesting.

So: Your all time top 5 MCs (read Rappers if you like). Reasoning and an explanation makes the thread actually interesting. youtube clips of your fav examples makes the list fun. Order (1 to 5) is preferable, but not vital.

I'm happy with honourable mentions, and I'd be stoked if those that don't claim an interest in Hip Hop post too, because it's interesting to see what those looking from the outside in find good in a particular genre.

Here's mine, with youtube clips to come later.

Blackthought
    Black+Thought.jpg
    Possibly the Ultimate (Get it?) in longevity. Ticks every box I can think of. Clever metaphors and such, distinctive flow, instantly recognisable voice. Has, through YEARS of touring and MCing with a live band, the best translation from studio to live of any MC I've heard. Because the Roots have tried a little bit of everything across their albums, different themes and concept albums etc, BT has had the opportunity to really flex his creative muscle and more than nearly any MC I can think of, he rewards repeated listens of a large chunk of the back catalogue to build a picture of his life and experiences.

Jay Z
    Jay-Z-608x629.jpg
    Very deliberately picked a shot from his first album. Still trying to decide if Magna Carta (and possibly most of what's come out since Kingdon Come) completely undoes his legacy.
    I can still listen to his first album start to finish and enjoy it. And there's an album's worth of tracks from the 3-4 albums between that and The Blueprint that are awesome. He has 4-5 albums, IMO, that are just fucking great. Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, The Black Album, American Gangster and you could pick the top 12-14 tracks from the double Blueprint 2.0 album and make a cracker.

At his best, funny, clever, self aware, entertaining as fuck, and knows how to pick a beat.

Mos Def
    mos-def-dexter-season-6.jpg
    Gets a mention for The New Danger alone, but he's got an awesome voice, talks a lot of sense, and just generally is one of those artists that you're happy exists. Heck, I even like him in the movies he's been in. Also, Oh No, with P Munch and Nate Dogg.

Pharoahe Monch
    Pharoahe+Monch+pharoahe1.jpg
    3 albums in a row that are freakin amazing, with Desire being the peak. AMAZING flows. Completely distinctive, very clever, slightly unhinged. Welcome to the Terrordome cover is sublime. Have been re-listening to W.A.R. this week, and it's excellent as well, some ingenious tracks, Let my People Go is catchy as hell, and the lyrics and metaphors work beautifully with the psuedo-gospel beat. Shine has some verses that only years of rhyming could create.

Aesop Rock
    aesop-black.jpg
    No Regrets and Skelethon. All time favourite song, and many years later a damn near perfect album. Dense and almost impenetrable lyrics that actually reward repeated listens. There is more to be found.

Honourable mentions, one of whom may displace Jay shortly:
    Talib Kweli (6th man award)
    Chino XL
    Eminem
    Nas
    Method Man
    RA the Rugged Man
    Royce Da 5'9
    Joe Budden
    Brother Ali
    Redman

(I asked in the Ask the B&B thread if someone had done a list thread already, no response so far, so I may well change this to a random "top 5 list" thread and update it every so often.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nice flow, I'll give it that.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Mos Def and Nas deffo in mine.

Not sure between GZA and Method Man.

Maybe Mark 7even (what's he up to these days?) or Prince Paul.

Sensational would get in because he is some kind of amazing force.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Currently listening to all of eminems back catalogue, some of it being brilliant and some genuinely Shiite.

Grew up with ice cube, listening to his new album which is enjoyable. He seemed to age better than Dr dre has done, who seems to do nothing now but talk about how he's quitting rap and he still has guns and he lives in his lab. Nothing new and therefore disappointingly boring.

Krs one is another one I listened to in my teenage years, though sounds dated now.

Chuck d and public enemy, amazing how the things he was rapping about 20 years ago are still very relevant today.

Loved the fun side of hip hop. Digital underground and the pharcyde made me laugh loads when everyone else was talking gangsta.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Mine would likely lean heavily towards the 80's. I'd struggle to separate groups from individuals, so may go this route because loose rules.

One thing I struggle with (and this is music in general, but is doubly important in rap) is the voice. If I don't like your voice I'm going to struggle listening to you. That rules out basically anyone British. Didn't get on with that Aesop Rock track from curated either.

I was pretty disappointed with KRS One, as was pointed there as an example of excellence, and found it all rather dull. Perhaps dated is the best description for it. By contrast, Public Enemy seems as fresh and relevant as at any time.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    How about these...

"Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Can't do this with much confidence, I mean the field is just vast.

What I will say is that vocal tone matters to me more than lyrical complexity in the end. Useful instance: Rakim.
  • Couldn't give a definitive top five, but Ghostface Killah is right up there for me.

GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 1) Warren G - "chords, strings, we brings, melody.. g-funk.. where rhythm is life.. and life is rhythm"
    2) This guy - 
    3) Romeo. 
    4) Five always killed it for me - pop rap at its greatest

5) And finally big/little wane. Look how cool he is! 
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Good work, Face. : )

Like Brooks, I think it's a tough question, but Jay-Z is a given (he deserves it)...
    Still... If I were to introducing anyone to rap / hip-hop today, I'd point them here:

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Soweto I guess would get a mention. Anyone into rap battles? This is fucking boss. I was made up to see him on the scene. This Baker Chap is boss but I've no idea if he writes tunes too.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Soweto wrote:
    Posh bastard.
    You pay half a grand for a draw, and be like, "Ooo, bargin!"

Lol! :}
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • beano, I have been into rap battles since jumpoff. Not into it as much as I used to be but often spend a rainy day catching up with an afternoon of highlights. 

Will watch that guy now and also post my real top 5 this afternoon when i've had some time to think about it.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Hah, I was going to say your top 5 illustrates Brooks point perfectly, mk (o:

Right I best do some werk, got an actual deadline today. Think I'll make a Kinch album my starting bgm.
  • Stuff. 

Parental Advisory: Extremely good

• I think, voice wise, some Chali 2na:
  • For sheer weirdness, Kool Keith:

• Teradental LMFAO 

Raptour was clever too
  • Guru was the greatest imho, RIP. 

Pete Rock, heavily influenced by this:-

Jay Electronica - cracking producer too.

Mos Def would probably be up there too.
  • Dose One (and loads of other artists on the Anticon label)

284blog_dose.jpg

RZA (I was brought up on the Grave Diggaz and Wu-Tang)

tumblr_lwf8iliXUg1qearaqo1_1280.png

Kool Keith (Check out Dr Octogan - immense)

koolkeith-main685.jpg
  • LL Cool J
    Dizzee Rascal
    CKP
    Prof Green
    Eminem

I know my list wont please everyone but there's a bit of everything in there for me.
  • 1st LP Dizz is, as should be obvious to all, best of the past decade material.

Apropos of not as great deal, I'm going (re)recommend DJ Zirk's Underworld for being really good thuglyfe soundtracking. Typing this as a distinctly unoppressed member of the species, naturally.
  • Fuck my ass, Boy In Da Corner is over a decade gone actually. The hell does the time go.
  • I remember the first time I saw dizzee rascal live in a squat party in acton. The place went fucking spastic. Main problem was that back in those days there were so many rudeboys just out to cause trouble. MC crews didn't help either. Used to listen to boy in da corner on the way to uni to remind me of london. Its still so good now. Only now starting to sound dated by tech :) "who's got a nokia? take that"
  • It certainly hasn't dated production-wise. Honestly, put an ear to the stuff that comes out on latterday urban club labels like Night Slugs and to me the antecedent is obvious and no less compelling.

It's not as if the social reality has moved on either, sadly.
  • I really love a few kano songs too but he's got some fucking weak songs which just make him so hit and miss. 

Big fan of the streets but they never really improved on original pirate material for me. 

Brooks did you ever live in london?
‹ Previous123456784

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!