Stuff for "Creatives" and whatnot..
‹ Previous123456730
  • So, a fair number of us seem to work as 'Creatives' (I do hate that term, but whatchagonnado), so a thread about freebies, techniques, interesting projects and general design tomfoolery seems in order. Something to tickle the design bone and give the crayons some inspiration.

And so to begin:

http://workwankers.com/
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Aye, old favourite and a goon 'un. Many fine projects and freebies on there.
  • For anyone that wants to learn or develop AE skills

Bible
  • I just created some piss and put it all in a toilet.
  • Excellent. I can't think of a better place for it.

Except maybe all over Nick Grimshaw...
  • I've a weak bladder at best of times, I certainly can't hold it long enough to track him down.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    For anyone that wants to learn or develop AE skills Bible

AE?

No mate. My Balrog game iz tight, yo'.

*I'll get my coat...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    This is probably a real noob question but in one of the programs I use I can justify objects around the last object I select, so for instance if I want a circle within a box I select the circle and then select the box, hit justify and the circle will align with the box without the box moving. I am now moving over to illustrator and doing the same thing appears to align the selected objects but it moves them so if my box was where I wanted it it would move it's original location.

How do I stop this happening?
  • In the Align panel there's a drop down where you can change it to 'align to selection' instead of align to artboard. Try that mate.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    In the Align panel there's a drop down where you can change it to 'align to selection' instead of align to artboard. Try that mate.
    Almost there!

It appears to be 'Align to Key Object' that I need but now I don't know how to specify which is the 'key object'. I've just tried it with text and a stroke line and it always takes the text as being the 'key object' not the first or last selection becoming the 'key object'. FFS!
  • I may be being thick here, but I usually just select everything I want aligned, then click the key object, and then hit the appropriate align button.

EDIT: Wait, I'm using CS6. Which version are you using?
  • Stumbled across this site today... http://www.creativebloq.com/
    nice! grabbed a few decent fonts there cheers :D
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Videocopilot is certainly the grand daddy of all AE sites out there. I basically went through each tutorial while doing my degree and learnt more from that than the course. God bless Andrew Kramer.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    In the Align panel there's a drop down where you can change it to 'align to selection' instead of align to artboard. Try that mate.
    Almost there! It appears to be 'Align to Key Object' that I need but now I don't know how to specify which is the 'key object'. I've just tried it with text and a stroke line and it always takes the text as being the 'key object' not the first or last selection becoming the 'key object'. FFS!

Vaguely related but Inkscape is far and away the best Open Source program I've ever used.

Look at all them align options!

qn8Tqhl.png

ECtVZ3H.png

Just a shame it doesn't open .ps files.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    CS5 but Mod's image shows exactly what I want, shame it's the wrong program!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Excellent. I can't think of a better place for it. Except maybe all over Nick Grimshaw...

Fucking Grimmy what a prick.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    But adding some value to this post, creatives who work in the web need to look into icon fonts, understand retina displays and possibly understand how CSS can be used in place of images.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    That drop down is too verbose and complicated, I can't think when I'd ever need half let alone all and as for those icon, I'm not seeing anything special MXfreehand couldn't do ~decade back.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'd like to see Inkscape's diagram remit if it has one else I think it's a bloat.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Moto70 wrote:
    CS5 but Mod's image shows exactly what I want, shame it's the wrong program!

Certain you can do all that in CS5 mate. You just select everything you want to align, then click your key object, then align. Otherwise, step and repeat tool and other tools get it all done.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    How do I assign a 'Key Object'? Like I said earlier when I tried with vectors and text it was always the text that was treated a the 'Key Object'?

Why is it always a ball-ache when swapping from one program to another! I'm dreading starting some node action!!!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    FFS!

I've just tried it again and it worked, it took my first selection as my KO, I wonder why it didn't do this yesterday?
  • Dunno mate. Glad you got it sorted though. I'm something of an Illustrator whore, so feel free to tap me up for advice anytime.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Cheers bud.

Oh and Toptown liked your CV. :)
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    ...and now align has gone back to doing what it did yesterday, wtf is going on?
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Cheers bud. Oh and Toptown liked your CV. :)

Ooh, nice to know!

You working Apple or Windows? My Mac CS has never missed a beat, but the Windows version I use at work seems to be a tad schizophrenic (64-bit Windows 7).

Also, hard to argue with CreativeBloq's opinion of this rather sterling bit of album artwork: rather nice.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Windows 8.

Actually I am speaking to Start Up UK later today (I think we're getting the max £10k start-up loan) and I will be using this to fund the purchase of two new computers. I was going to stick with Windows because that's what I've always been on but I am open to suggestion. I just don't want to fuck off most of this initial opening balance paying over the odds for something that I can get equally capable stuff for.

We will be using it to fund the deposit on our van, to purchase a scaffold tower and to start on the interior of our unit, talking of which with money being tight I am looking at doing a lot of the work myself. I am thinking of building a meeting/creative room along the lines of the glass room on the left...

10591248656_999afab53f_o.jpg

...and here is the logo (my business partner named it, I said I couldn't give a toss what he called it as long as we were up running) that we will initially run with, really simple but time is so tight at the moment.

10591234705_ac58f0c695.jpg
  • Can I be a prick and suggest that the 'Limited' looks rather squashed?
  • I should also say fair play to you for getting out there and setting up your own business.

Would you keep a little of that start-up capital to do business cards/a website/advertise/get your name out there?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Can I be a prick and suggest that the 'Limited' looks rather squashed?
    That isn't prickish at all. To be fair it has only been knocked up that way so that it fits on the fascia and we needed to show letterheads etc

I want to have an actual logo but I am so snowed under with stuff I just haven't got the time to do anything and at the start our time needs to be spent drumming up as much work as we can locally.

TBH the whole thing is a bloody nightmare...
‹ Previous123456730

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!