Just completed
  • Just finished Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley.  There's no disguising the fact that it's a very poor game in places.  The into-the-screen sections are, without exception, crap, and the entire re-hashed final chapter felt like one big chore.  Some of the bosses seem to have attacks that will hit you even when you've got the pattern down (the final boss of the manga themed comic is particularly bad for this - you just can't reach safety quickly enough at times if you happen to be in the wrong place when it starts a specific attack...I'm sure Youtube can prove me wrong, but the word that kept springing to mind was 'unfair').  Also, 1/3 of the levels are black and white, which makes enemy projectiles hard to see, and the incessant comedy/one-liners were as much miss as hit, and started to grate towards the end.

Yet somehow I'd still say I enjoyed it.  I'm easily pleased with XBLA games I guess.  Nowhere near as good as the two 'Splsion Man games though, and certainly not a patch on the classic 16-bit platform shooters.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Arkham City: Harley's Revenge DLC. Massively overpriced, but it gave me an excuse to play some more of one of my favourite games of all time, so I don't mind too much.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    This thread doesn't see much action. Is everyone too busy to play games? Or do they just stick with replayable stuff like Halo and Dark Souls.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I play them, it's the completing bit that's tricky.
  • My game time has been raped by Skyrim, not a lot of completing per hour on that game
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm soon to complete Alpha Protocol. I'll talk about it then. Or maybe I should make a soon to complete thread and post it in there first.
  • This thread doesn't see much action. Is everyone too busy to play games? Or do they just stick with replayable stuff like Halo and Dark Souls.

I only play games now that can't be 'completed'. Shmups, fighters, high score games and puzzlers on iOS etc.

I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I guess it's all about the 'Currently Playing' thread these days. I still love my linear story based stuff, but recently it seems like all I play is TF2.
  • Oh, I love them too. I just don't have the time. I started FFXIII-2 when I got it on release. I got to play around 4 chapters and haven't had the time to go back to it. Or the inclination actually, it's a bit shit. Only other completable game I've played recently is Fez and I need to clean that off.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I find oddly that the urge to play a certain game will just take me at random at some point. Sometimes a game that ive had for months and barely touched. Then i'll complete it in a few sittings.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Alpha Protocol. I enjoyed most of it despite the truly dreadful boss fights that I can't imagine are much fun for stealth based agents. The dialogue and some of the characters have the Obsidian touch which means they're better than most games at drawing you into proceedings. Though the plot is very typical corporate shenanigans that's possible to catch onto very early on and the main villain was hardly a surprise.

Apparently it was developed by a skeleton crew while the rest of the company worked on Fallout: New Vegas. Which is a bit sad as the game could have been so much better with a bigger budget and workforce behind it.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Would you recommend it? It only got like 60 something on metacritic so I was just ignoring it.

Just looked at my epic list of unplayed Steam games and installed Prince Of Persia (the one with no number or subtitle but which isn't the first one, TOWNNOSBWITFO for short). I reckon I'll speed through that pretty fast.
  • I enjoyed Alpha Protocol a lot. It has so many flaws (quite a few of them technical) but if you can look beyond them then it is quite enjoyable. The different approaches work well and you can switch them if needed. As Bollockoff said, the dialogue is very good but the story is also very cliched.

I would say its worth it considering you can pick it up immensly cheap nowadays.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Seconding everything Aaron said. If you like RPGs and especially RPGs by Obsidian it's worth it. I bought it off Stram on one of their sales for less than two quid.

Looking back again, I think their approach to the dialogue wheel is ten times better than in Mass Effect. Even their one word context to dialogue is pretty spot on. Usually.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Alpha Protocol is amazing. It's fucking batshit, but I love it.

MIKE AND SEAN FUCK YEAH
  • Edit; sorry about half this post in bold, can't scroll down to change it on my tablet...
    Edit 2 ; people are just taking the piss with end credits sequences now.  Mp3 must have been close to 20 minutes, ludicrous.  You ought to be able to scroll through them manually if they're just the old white text on black background.

Had a productive* day today managed to clock

Dragon's Dogma

Have had a great time with this game ,though I'd be lying if I said I had a clue as to wtf went on in the last few hours.  Will have to read a wiki I think.  Still, lots of hectic fights against some fantastic giant monsters were forthcoming so I am not complaining.  Don't know about new game +, will give it a look but starting with all the good equipment kinda goes against what I enjoy about RPGs.  Whether ng+ or vanilla new game, will definitely play again at some point, was my favourite Xbox game since dark souls.

Max Payne 3

Not hugely into shooting games but also enjoyed this.  Was worried the cut scenes would get on my goat but they were fun enough.  Story does suffer in that video game way where things are kept somewhat sensible (or at least a Hollywood approximation of sensible) but in the bits you play, Max fights a one (and occasionally two)man war against a literal army and doesnt have too many problems with that.  Would love to see one of these big production jobs have smaller scale but higher stakes shoot outs, keep the stories and bits you play a bit my in sync. 

Some really nice looking locations and I liked the attention to detail with Max looking a little different depending on which level you were playing.  Shooting seemed great though I can't rightly say since I'm bad at shooting games and played it on easy.  Liked the soundtrack to the point that I'm considering buying it next week, we'll see.  Auto saving was largely great with only a few sore points.  Like how when you die you get a very spiffy and succinct sequence of comic book panels of Max's death, an option to retry and maybe a 2-5 second wait before you're playing again.  That's more like it; none of this dieing in slow motion and black and white while serious music plays what seems to be popular nowadays.

One thing I don't like much about these kinds of games is they don't really have good places to stop playing.  There are chapters but there is no option to stop, just a cutscenes then straight back into the violence.  I like the old re4 end of level screens that tell you how well (or poorly) youre playing, and give you the option to quit.  Presumably folks think this breaks the flow but onone plays 10 hour campaigner in one sitting surely
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Prince Of Persia ('08)
    Me no likey. Found the gameplay quite unsatisfying, you don't really control timing or positioning just which moves to do next, so the game's really more like an easy rhythm game that unexpectedly switched to hard mode when the camera's not in the right position. And there's no sense of weight to the stunts (ceiling runs? wtf?). Ending pissed me off to,
    Spoiler:
    Thought I must have gotten the "bad" ending but it looks like there's only one.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fear 3

Yeah, Alma bitch! So then, same gunplay, zero scares, although they obviously attempted some somewhere. Plot line is a whole lot of who gives a fuck, but the guns are amaze. Pistol is still epic, as is the shotgun, and the proper rifle thing. Enemies are meh, and it says something that I bunged it down to easiest for the last two bits, but who cares it did its job for a tenner.

Also: MECHS!
  • Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS.

Must be two years since I last played.

Technically, still amazing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gigatrack on Trials Evolution. I'm done with that for a while.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    YES REG! \0

Also God of War 3 opening is MEGA. Serious though, no free roaming camera?
  • Ha!
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • It's a shiny PS2 game.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    'tis very pretty, i'll enjoy it, seems to have more depth than Bayonetta anyhoo.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    lol no but i know lawro and peeps love that Bayononsense so like BURN eh
  • LOLBRUN xoxox
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Prince Of Persia ('08) Me no likey. Found the gameplay quite unsatisfying, you don't really control timing or positioning just which moves to do next, so the game's really more like an easy rhythm game that unexpectedly switched to hard mode when the camera's not in the right position. And there's no sense of weight to the stunts (ceiling runs? wtf?). Ending pissed me off to,
    Spoiler:
    Thought I must have gotten the "bad" ending but it looks like there's only one.

Ubisoft cut the proper ending out and released it as DLC months afterwards. Can't remember what it's called.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Just finished The Lost and Damned, now to finally get around to TBOGT...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!