Super Mario Super Thread
‹ Previous123456783
  • A place for us to discuss past present and future games in the main Super Mario series.
    latest?cb=20140412154550

Main Series Entries and review averages
    aIHVFLS.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • RIP Captain Lou Albano
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • My money is on Nintendo.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Eurogamer made galaxy their game of the generation

• its a good read. Bit hard though for a team who looks after the mario vs donkey genre to compete with galaxy. 

Thought it might go into more depth about key people who work across multiple teams too.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yeah would have been nice to know about individuals.

Its out of EAD1 and Tokyo, but for all we know to key staff from EAD1 might now be at Tokyo.

Didn't know how EAD4 came about, makes sense how the New series came to be.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Eurogamer made galaxy their game of the generation

Well, it is absolutely amazing.
  • I fucking love Mario games. 

The main series is great, but I don't really count the 'New' games within that as i've only played the ds version.

Mario Galaxy 2 for game of the generation for me, utter joyous.
  • I think that article sums up the New series quite well, although I'm a big fan of NSMBU

Galaxy 2 is definitely in the top tier of the generation for me but as a Mario game, well video game in general, nothing will ever have the impact of 64 for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The genius of m64 is how much of the game is constrained by the number of levels the n64 could hold.
  • What was so amazing was just how far out of the park they knocked it WRT 3D platforming on their first release with basically nothing to crib from.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    What was so amazing was just how far out of the park they knocked it WRT 3D platforming on their first release with basically nothing to crib from.

....and another team "down the corridor" was polishing Yoshi's Island at the same time. Mind boggling.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    You know, that Wii U Mario that came out at launch is fucking mint.
    Wonder if I should just bite the bullet, and straight up buy a Wii U...

How much are they now?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Dunno. Ninty should just call their next box Mario Machine and be done with it.
  • I think that article sums up the New series quite well, although I'm a big fan of NSMBU Galaxy 2 is definitely in the top tier of the generation for me but as a Mario game, well video game in general, nothing will ever have the impact of 64 for me.

My fav game in the Mario series is Sunshine. There, I've said it. 

SM64 is a close second for me, even though I played it way, way after it was released. It would still deserve the spot even if all there was to it were any of the two levels that came on the cartridge. And that glorious Jolly Roger Bay music on repeat.

Wish I had played it upon release.
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • Galaxy 1 and 2 are the best Mario games.
  • You know, that Wii U Mario that came out at launch is fucking mint.
    Wonder if I should just bite the bullet, and straight up buy a Wii U...

How much are they now?

I'm glad to hear someone else say that, it really opens up after the first world or 2. There's warps and secrets all over the map. Really is a great game.

If you patient and keep an eye out you'll find a deluxe pack for £200 quite easy.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Mario Galaxy and Yoshi's Island are my favourites.

I was a SEGA fan during the earlier Mario game releases though, so missed the initial buzz of some of the first games.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Banjo Kazooie was my favourite.
    Get schwifty.
  • The final boss in nsmb wii is pretty good too
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • pandajimmy wrote:
    I think that article sums up the New series quite well, although I'm a big fan of NSMBU Galaxy 2 is definitely in the top tier of the generation for me but as a Mario game, well video game in general, nothing will ever have the impact of 64 for me.
    My fav game in the Mario series is Sunshine. There, I've said it.  SM64 is a close second for me, even though I played it way, way after it was released. It would still deserve the spot even if all there was to it were any of the two levels that came on the cartridge. And that glorious Jolly Roger Bay music on repeat. Wish I had played it upon release.

I think I've given Sunshine a raw deal in my head.  I found the Fludd controls quite cumbersome at times, and can't remember if I ever finished it (I seem to remember 80 stars was the minimum requirement, so if that's true perhaps I did). Being my least favorite 3D Mario game is like being my least favourite type of steak though; even the worst is better than the best quorn slice. It took me ages to think of that analogy and now I wish I hadn't bothered - the point I'm trying to make is that even my favourite non-Mario 3D platformers, like Rayman 2 or Jak & Daxter, aren't as good as Sunshine.
  • yeah nsmbwii final was epic. Good way to finish a game. I put Mario world relatively lowly int all time marios, partly because I feel Mazda controls a little less tight than normal. Id put YI, SMB, SMB3, 64 and galaxies ahead I reckon.
  • Interestingly sunshine is one of the coolest Mario's to watch being speed run.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I found sunshine quite difficult and gave up back in the day. But I loved the hidden no fludd levels and dreamt of a game just made of those.

We got two. <3
  • As brilliant as they are, the Galaxy games are way too linear for my liking. They're solid in every other department - the way Mario handles, the music, the ingenious level design - but sometimes I just wanted to forget about collecting stars and rabbits and just do some exploration instead. The thing I really miss about EAD1's stuff is the roomier level design. And they knew how to do hub worlds - full of hidden nooks and crannies and just fun to faff around in.
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • pandajimmy wrote:
    As brilliant as they are, the Galaxy games are way too linear for my liking. They're solid in every other department - the way Mario handles, the music, the ingenious level design - but sometimes I just wanted to forget about collecting stars and rabbits and just do some exploration instead. The thing I really miss about EAD1's stuff is the roomier level design. And they knew how to do hub worlds - full of hidden nooks and crannies and just fun to faff around in.

I would have agreed with you a generation or so back, but the Galaxy games are definitely better suited to my tastes these days. Hub worlds, sprawling levels and exploration in general are a bit too much of a chore for me - I much prefer a linear experience.
  • In general Sunshine is terribly underrated. The jetpack part of things, allowing you to save yourself from messed up jumps, was genius. Some wonderful moments subverting Mario's role in things, too (pachinko, ski jump...)
  • Problem was the camera :(
‹ Previous123456783

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!