theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I sort of know what I'm doing, but I'm out of touch with the current thinking/products.

I've looked for some guides but can't seem to find anything dead basic or current.

The rough shopping list as I understand it is...

i5 3XX - Assuming i5 is adequate for gaming as the GPU takes the load
    Nvidia 6X something
    Motherboard
    RAM
    PSU
    SSD drive
    Case
    Monitor
    Windows 7

Anything I've missed?

What I need to know are suggested examples of the above, and what connections you're supposed to get on the Motherboard and drives to make it all work.

A simple list of "you need this GPU slot, this CPU socket, this SSD connector, this RAM slot, this PSU connector" would be ace. I guess the MB is the starting point huh.

Anyone want to help rustle up a shopping list with maximum (within reason) future proofing? I'm not 100% decided to buy, just scoping out what one might cost. Figured it might be helpful for anyone else bi-curious.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    oops. dp.
  • I'm sure it'll stream DP fine
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd say an nvidia 5 series will do whatever you want and save you some cash to boot.
    Depending on the motherboard, you might want to think about a soundcard, especially if you're planning on surround speakers.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Most gpu etc slots these days are pci express.
  • I have no idea what is in my PC. I bought it from a friend of my grandmother for £250. It has a dual core processor, 4gb of Ram and a terabyte HDD. I put the graphics card in that Mod told me to buy, it cost me £100. It plays everything I have thrown at it so far.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Liquid nitrogen cooling system is a must.
  • I always find this useful and up-to-date:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Giant red LED light on the front. Voicechip hooked up to rasberyy pi full of 2001 quotes.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Cheers Human, those two links were exactly what I was looking for.
  • I doubt the benefit of SSD outweighs the cost for a gaming PC.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Giant red LED light on the front. Voicechip hooked up to rasberyy pi full of 2001 quotes.

And when you get to the log-in screen off the screen saver it does this.

• Yup, start with the motherboard. You'll be looking for a socket 1155. I've heard the ivy bridge cpus have made very little gains over sandy bridge and aren't as good for overclocking as they heat up quicker so might be worth geting and i5 2500k if it's much cheaper than the ivybridge.

For the graphics you'll be looking for something that's pci-e x16 (nearly all cards connect that way these days). I'd agree with Kow and maybe suggest the 580 if you can afford it.

Ram is easy, just get some that matches your motherboard in the correct speed and quantity desired.

For the PSU go for something decent obviously, as they say no point cheaping out on it since you'll be powering very expensive components. I'd recommend a Corsair 600w+ PSU.

For the ssd i'd go with the cruicial m4, there are lots of cheaper/faster drives but I got this one because it has a great record for reliability. Get it in at least 128gb size and use it for your system drive and maybe a couple of your most demanding games. You'll also want another large standard hdd. These should all be connected via sata (i.e. don't buy IDE drives).

Case should be easy enough to find and largely depends on taste but i'd read reviews of which you're going for so you don't end up with one that can't fit a large graphics card etc.

Monitor, you'll want something with 1920x1080p resolution.

I could try and give you a sample system with a list of different parts but it'll probably be best if you put one together yourself and then post it here so other can see if you've missed something obvious.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Cheers Pie.

This was my first pass

Aviarysecure-scan-co-ukPicture1.png

But I've realised I was intending to play it on a 1366x768 32" TV. Does that defeat the whole purpose?

The RAM has me totally confused between versions. and the same model mobo seems to go from 80 quid up to 300.
  • Might be overkill for that screen but you can always get a newer 1080p TV down the line and you'll likely not need to upgrade the PC for quite a few years.

As for the Ram, the motherboard you have lists DDR3 - 1600 so that would be the one to go for, the ram you've selected might work but it may be clocked back so best to go for something like this.
  • I really want a nice Total War/ARMA machine, my current laptop can run most things (not ARMA 2 last time I tried) but it doesn't run things like the recent TW games as well as I would like. How cheap is a decent machine these days?
  • @Mod74

Actually, that motherboard also lists - 32GB (4x8GB) so it might even be better to just get one 8gb stick of ram for now which you can then match to get 16, 24 & 32gb later.

edit: 8gb sticks of ram barely seem to exist yet but looks like there is one for pre-order.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Thanks again Pie.

By any chance could you try and decipher the difference between these?

http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=P8Z77

I got the model number from the Falcon list, but they don't say a specific. The NeoGaf list says -LK, but I can't see that one (so grabbed the LX)
  • I think it's mainly bells and whistles on the more expensive ones, like they'll have an extra pci-e 3x16 slot, display ports, or the ability to do crazy overclocks with ram etc. Most of the stuff i'd say you don't really need to worry about.

Stick with a hot seller that has the slots you need and you can't go wrong - the motherboard you've choosen is pretty decent. It has 32gb ram support, pci-e 3 x16 and usb 3 so is pretty future proof.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Make sure your case has some usb ports on the front. Mine are all on the back and it's a pain in the hole.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Cheer Pie, and Kow.

Though re the USB I'm planning on hiding it sideways behind the TV so whether they are front or back shouldn't make much difference. Guess I should measure how much space I'd need thinking about it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So you'll be joining us on Steam, Team Fortress, etc.?
  • Yeah, we can all join an empty server and run around pointlessly for a bit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Team Fortress is always packed whenever I try it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    So you'll be joining us on Steam, Team Fortress, etc.?

Maybe.

I'm thinking more of these "high end PC" games that are being demoed and the types of games that console just doesn't have, like simulation.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nice to hop on PC as the consoles go into their death throes anyway.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just got onto this thread. Mod, I'm going to be actually physically building my next PC, so I'll post photos etc of the process.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Not built a PC since 95/96ish, Pentium 60, 4meg RAM, 540hd, remember the RAM costing £140.

Been wondering about front USB, I'm presuming the cabling is built into the case?

Also been wondering if this is a stupid question.

Decided it may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Yes. Well, it was on mine.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I built my last PC in 1999.
‹ Previous1234567131

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!