Let's make a gaming PC
  • Mod, this might be a bit obvious but I forgot to mention it earlier, do you have a dvd drive lying about? If not you'll probably wanna add one of those to the list. Perhaps even a bluray drive for maximum future proofage.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I kinda figured I wouldn't need one. And push come to shove I think I can share a drive from another networked PC can't I?

One rather obvious thing I have missed is fan/cooling.
  • I'd put a dvd drive in at least anyway, though you might not use it much they're very cheap and handy to have especially for a gaming machine, and it will make the install much easier.

I think the case you have selected might have fans included anyway. Overheating shouldn't be too much trouble with that case anyway.

edit: it has three.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm putting a BD drive into my next PC just so if Mrs Reg or I wish to watch something while the other is gaming, there's an option.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have a bd drive too but I discovered after that my monitor doesn't have a hdmi port.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I think the case you have selected might have fans included anyway. Overheating shouldn't be too much trouble with that case anyway. edit: it has three.

I meant the one you clamp to the top of the CPU. Is the bolt on fan type OK or should I be looking at one of these liquid jobbies?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-h100-hydro-series-extreme-performance-cpu-cooler-s775-1155-1156-1366-2011-am2-am3
  • Oh right, the one the cpu comes with should be fine. I'd only bother with buying a seperate cpu cooler if you run into heating problem (you shouldn't) or if you intend to overclock (I expect you wouldn't need to).
  • Mod, as well as that Neogaf thread linked earlier, Rock, Paper, Shotgun have also been doing a few articles that might help?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/hard-choices/
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    If anyone can point me to a site that recommends the best components for a sub £300 'beast' it would be much appreciated.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Me again. I'll have a look at that Mostly.

Right, I've realised I've got a PC upstairs I bought a couple of years ago that might be able to serve as a starting point instead of buying everything brand new.

I don't know if a GTX670 will fit in it though. The mobo looks like this

WP_000223.jpg

And the red port is circa 90mm long.

Also the PSU only puts out 200 odd watts, so I assume that needs replacing.

The CPU is a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 so whilst no stellar it might be OK?

6GB of DDR2 RAM

Any thoughts?
  • Do not waste money by putting a £300 graphics card into that computer.  That motherboard and CPU will throttle the performance of the graphics card.

Buy a good motherboard & CPU combo and an average graphics card.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Right.

So for the sake of a case and an OS I may as well build a whole new one huh.

What would you say was an average graphics card?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have gtx580 and it runs absolutely everything with all frills on.
  • Something like a GTX 560 Ti is decent and can be had for less that £150.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I have gtx580 and it runs absolutely everything with all frills on.

That's a £300 card!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You mentioned gtx670 above, which I presume is more expensive?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    You mentioned gtx670 above, which I presume is more expensive?

Nah, not really, they start at £300 for a 2GB version on Scan. Not looked elsewhere.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Couple of quick questions.

Are we definitely sure the fan/cooler that comes bolted to the CPU is adequate for the task. I'm guessing Intel don't supply it with something that isn't, so I'm wondering where the need for a different fan/cooler comes in? Scare stories and marketing bullshit?

Will all the parts come with all the cables needed to connect to each other?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've always had to pay for the fan separately. I presumed it was because the cpu doesn't actually come with a fan.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    There's two options

http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=3570K

An OEM that doesn't have a fan, or a Retail for ten quid more that does have a fan.
  • I don't know if this is true or not. I was told that you should only use an SSD for booting off and use a traditional HDD for storing all your films etc on. SSD's arent designed to be used in that way so will wear out quicker.

Is this bullshit?
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • The stock fan and heatsink will be fine.  After market CPU fans are used to reduce noise and/or increase cooling if you're planning to overclock.  K series CPUs are overclockable so if you are planning to do so you will need a better fan (and you'll also need a overclocking compatible motherboard).

Scotswahey wrote:
    I don't know if this is true or not. I was told that you should only use an SSD for booting off and use a traditional HDD for storing all your films etc on. SSD's arent designed to be used in that way so will wear out quicker. Is this bullshit?
    This is bullshit.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Cheers Nexx,

Here's the motherboard I have in the basket

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-p8z77-v-lx-intel-z77-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-dvi-d-hdmi-d-sub-(vga)-

From what I can gather it has some overclocking capability but not as much as the dearer models.
  • I find this thread almost as entertaining as the Builders Shed thread, despite not having a clue about anything contained within either of them.

I don't even know what overclocking is.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Is it possible to make a decent rig for around £500-600 if 1080p isn't an issue?
  • Nexx wrote:
    The stock fan and heatsink will be fine.  After market CPU fans are used to reduce noise and/or increase cooling if you're planning to overclock.  K series CPUs are overclockable so if you are planning to do so you will need a better fan (and you'll also need a overclocking compatible motherboard).
    I don't know if this is true or not. I was told that you should only use an SSD for booting off and use a traditional HDD for storing all your films etc on. SSD's arent designed to be used in that way so will wear out quicker. Is this bullshit?
    This is bullshit.
    This isn't [strictly] bullshit, ssds have a finite life and you don't need the fast access times for stuff like movies, combined with the cost/size ratio (especially before the last few months) of ssds means you should only use it for really important stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bigger fans for the cpu only cost a couple of quid, I reckon they're worth having if you're going to be doing anything vaguely processor intensive ie gaming.
  • Curtis wrote:
    Is it possible to make a decent rig for around £500-600 if 1080p isn't an issue?

Resolution will depend on what you're planning to play/run but you can easily build a decent PC in that price range (some games will run at 1080p, others wont).  Specs would probably be quite similar to what Mod is building:

CPU - Intel i5 3570k
    MB: P8Z77-V
    Gfx: GTX 560 Ti

Those would be your core and would come to around £450ish (Im guessing there...).  And then you would spend whatever you have left over on RAM, case, power supply & HDD (sounds like a lot of components but none are too pricey).  8gigs of RAM is what, £40?  Won't need more than £50 on a HDD.  I'd recommend getting a decent power supply, you'll probably need around 600-650w so around £50-60.  Case is just personal preference, Ebuyer do some real budget ones for like £20.

I'm assuming here that you already have a keyboard, monitor etc.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Bigger fans for the cpu only cost a couple of quid, I reckon they're worth having if you're going to be doing anything vaguely processor intensive ie gaming.

Or simply leaving your computer on doing whatever it is you have your computer doing when you're not near it. Contributing to a botnet, things like that.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Have you got mouse, keyboard and cables sorted @mod? I built a pc the other month and completely forgot about a keyboard.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!