The Museum and Art Galleries Thread
‹ Previous12
  • You know, for culture and that.

My favourite is obviously The British Museum since it is amazing. But there are plenty of hidden gems.

No schoolchild from north of Barnsley has avoided Beamish I'd imagine.

And then there's the Pencil Museum in Keswick.

All recommendations taken.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    We have a thing called Scienceworks here.  Science, mainly.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • In Hobart you absolutely must see MONA.

Esoteric art. Psychological art. Classic art. Engineering art. A poop machine called Cloaca. Digital art. Film. A room of footage of dozen individuals singing Living in A Material World. Egyptian mummy display. Film festival screenings.

The owner basically gets anything he can get on show regardless of if he likes it or not. Out of archives displays. Sid Nolan's Serpent was up once. Some Brett Whiteley sketches. Wall of Cunts.

Seriously highly recommended.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The Scottish National Portrait Gallery was one of the highlights of my last trip to Edinburgh. No Wall Of Cunts though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There's a Wall of Cunts at the Emirates Stadium, iirc
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Leeds Royal Armoury is amazeballs for both modern and old fashioned military exhibits. When I went they had an hour of real jousting to show how it was done as well as a 15th century sword fighting techniques workshop.

Big up the V&A too since it usually gets forgotten next to the British Mus.
  • Natural History Museum looks amazing from the outside.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Was in Paris this week.  Hit up the Musée du Louvre for some tourist-culture.  It's far too big.  One can only take in so much art, and there's so much there that you end up dimissively glancing at a lot of stuff that might otherwise be more well received.

It's the second time I've been, the first was about eight years ago, I was on my own with a raging hangover.  I think I was better off being worse for wear - the lowered mental processing power coupled with delicate physical meandering and a whole day to kill worked well.

The audio guides they have there are Nintendo 3DS XLs loaded with an audio visual tour.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hiroshima Peace Museum is quite a place. Hit me hard.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Other faves: National Gallery, MOMA (NYC), Science Museum (cos launchpad, as a kid).

Nice architecture, less convinced by content: Guggenheim, Tate Modern

Would like to visit: that one in central park, smithsonian
  • Being in Bradford, one has to big up the National Media Museum. It is free and mega interesting, has a huge Imax cinema, animation/film festivals and an historical games lounge. They had an excellent Star Wars exhibition many years ago, loads of props, McQ concept art, etc.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I had a short film played there once while at college. It was shite. The film that is, the museum was excellent.
  • Nonsense, I remember Man Stares at Puddle being the talk of the town.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Tate Modern does everything absolutely right as a museum, whether you like the content or not it's a brilliant experience.
  • Tate Modern is fantastic.

Tha Baltic in Gateshead is occasionally wonderful too, but because they tend to have a max of 3-4 artists on display at any one time it can occassionaly be a dull experience if nothing really grabs you.

The Louvre really is far too fucking big, you can spend hours just wandering the grounds.

My mate got a fantastic Darth Vader helmet from Bradford many years ago when the Star Wars ex was on, cost a couple of hundred, but was essentially prop quality.
  • I got a £12 Episode 1 Obi Wan lightsaber. Sold it last year on ebay for £7, amazed I got that tbh.
  • Never underestimate how much awful tat Star Wars fans will buy.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I was in the Baltic last night. I recommend the belly pork.
  • Reposted from the no subject thread.

Went to London on Friday to see the Vikings exhibition at the BM. Was pretty good, although the centrepiece, the Viking longboat, was somewhat disappointing. I wasn't expecting it to be complete, but there must have been less than ten percent of the original timbers. They have moved some of the Lewis Chessmen into this exhibition and they never fail to impress. Definitely recommend the Sandy Toksvig presented multimedia guide as it does give greater insight to some of the artifacts

Went to the observatory at Greenwich today, which was dire. Possibly the most disorganised attraction I've ever been too. The planetarium show was good, but the rest was awful. Poorly displayed galleries, uninterested staff (excluding planetarium lady) and confusing signage. Six people asked me where the main entrance was.

Lunch at Scandinavian Kitchen was nice and I picked up some Cloudberry jam there too.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Was in Paris this week.  Hit up the Musée du Louvre for some tourist-culture.

I love the Louvre. Musee d'Orsay also comes with the Blue Swirl Seal of Approval™. Pro-tip for Paris; if you visit Versaille Palace and decide to go see Marie Antoinette's gaff, do take the little train. The palace gardens are deceptively big.

Anyone got any recommendations for Vienna?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow is great.
  • @Blue Swirl.

The Belvedere in Vienna has a reasonable Klimt selection or Schönbrunn Palace is a short tube ride away. Lunch at the Sacher is a worthwhile treat too. You can pretty much guarantee that some ignorant tourist will shovel in the freshly grated horseradish and then wonder why they can't breathe. Superb Sachertorte and the hot chocolate is pretty good too.
  • I like 

the design museum
    the tate modern

the V&A
    science museum
    imperial war museum

most of the galleries i visit are for graffiti/street art so tend to be temporary and usually around shoreditch. 

the london aquarium is pretty good
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Churchill's bunker complex in Whitehall is a must see. Basically when WWII ended they walked out and switched off the lights. It is damn near more or less as they left it.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Went to V&A before leaving London. Enjoyed it. I was oddly fascinated with all the old locks and keys on display. 

Also a fan of the Natural History Museum. Apparently dinosaurs are still cool even once you hit 30.
  • I went to the British Design Museum today.
    The Paul Smith exhibition is superb, a real look inside the mind of a genius not just a collection of his work.
    Designer of the year 2014 exhibit was good, noticed occulus rift is on the short list.
    Overall quite expensive at £12.50 though, worth it but carried heavily by Paul Smith.

Also Saatchi Gallery.
    Bit meh, not as out there as when I went when it was at embankment. Still has the room full of all which I love.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    @Blue Swirl. The Belvedere in Vienna has a reasonable Klimt selection or Schönbrunn Palace is a short tube ride away. Lunch at the Sacher is a worthwhile treat too. You can pretty much guarantee that some ignorant tourist will shovel in the freshly grated horseradish and then wonder why they can't breathe. Superb Sachertorte and the hot chocolate is pretty good too.

Noted! Cheers very much.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I went to the British Design Museum today.
    The Paul Smith exhibition is superb, a real look inside the mind of a genius not just a collection of his work.

Bugger, had a couple of hours to kill in London yesterday, that would've been ideal.

He's a shite electrician mind.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Our biennial is upon us http://www.biennial.com/
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Cinema yesterday to see Vikings Live. A tour of the BM exhibition presented by Michael Wood and Bettany Hughes. Definitely brought the exhibition to life, but they only showed a few exhibits as the BM obviously want this to encourage people to go to the exhibition. First time I've seen something like this at the cinema and I thought it worked quite well. Cinema was full.
  • My list mainly consists of agreeing with other people - I'm a fan of all those under the banner of the Science Museum Group - namely the Science Museum in London, National Media Museum in Bradford, and the two that haven't been mentioned already - the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester, and the National Railway Museum in York.  The latter is the best place in the world if you like trains and engineering, and the most tedious if you don't.  (Though even the most train averse would probably enjoy riding the replica of Stephenson's Rocket.)  The National Media Museum needs a bit more love as some of the galleries have got a bit rough round the edges, but it's still great - and is awesome for kids parties.  (You get to make a movie then take the DVD home with you.)  

On a similar theme the Life Centre in Newcastle, whilst maybe not on quite the same level, is a good trip out if you have kids - and whilst in Newcastle with a family go to Seven Stories, the Centre for Children's Books.  

I'd agree the Baltic can be amazing, but it's worth checking in advance to see who they're exhibiting before travelling.  Meanwhile if you're in the North and want to see art, Yorkshire Sculpture park is definitely worth a visit - even if you don't like the work, the grounds are beautiful.

There are also the obvious London ones - V&A, British Museum, Tate Modern and the beautiful secular cathedral that is the Natural History Museum.

Meanwhile, I've spent the last few weeks in Bangladesh and at one point visited the National Museum there.  It's kind of a bizarre museum in itself (and at one point I ended up feeling like an exhibit in my own right) but I was lucky enough to be invited behind the scenes and was shown how they go about restoring all the artefacts.  It was great - from restoring great works, to creating replicas of others, and fixing up stuff trashed by the public - probably the most interesting trip to a museum I've had in ages.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!