A Bad (& Good) Cover Version of Love
‹ Previous123

• I'm looking for the answer to a question really, but I thought I'd make a thread out of it at the same time.  We touched on this in the curated thread last year: which cover versions of songs do people consider to be superior to the originals?  What covers do you consider to be the worst?

Right, now the thread bit's out of the way I'll move on to my real question.  Can someone recommend me the definitive version of Fields of Athenry?  I have versions by Paddy Reilly, Brier, The Dubliners and Dropkick Murphy's, but I feel there's an even more goosebumpy performance out there somewhere.  I have certain hang-ups with each of the first three performances, and a Dropkick Murphy's version isn't going to scratch my itch.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Valerie, zutons vs Winehouse, I would say Winehouse would come out on top. Off the top of my head.
  • Disagree.

But Jimi rules Watchtower.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Noisia bettered Konflict's Messiah, which growing up I never thought possible.
  • Also Sinead makes Nothing Compares 2 U her own, obviously.
  • Cash, Hurt, done.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Jimi rules Watchtower.

Agree, of course.  Having waded through over two hundred Dylan covers in the past decade or so, there are a few more:

The Mighty Quinn - Manfred Mann.  *Shrugs*, it's just a better version imo.
    Make You Feel My Love - Adele.  A contentious decision, but I can't really argue with pipes like that.  Personally, I'd rather listen to the original, but I can appreciate her voice is a better fit for this particular song.
    Absolutely Sweet Marie - Jason & the Scorchers.  Sacrilege, but I can't help loving this.  The absolute pinnacle of Southern rock. 
    Goin' to Acapulco - Jim James & Calexico
    Mr. Tambourine man - William Shatner (lolnotreally)

Kudos to a young Eddie Vedder at Dylan's 30th Anniversary concert too; his Masters of War cover was pretty fucking good.
  • Handbags & Gladrags - Rod Stewart > Chris Farlowe
    Just - Mark Ronson ft. Phantom Planet > Radiohead (yup)
    Super Trouper - Camera Obscura > Abba
  • Easy Faith No More>Easy Lionel Richie.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Handbags & Gladrags - Rod Stewart > Chris Farlowe

The First Cut is the Deepest - Rod > Cat. 

COME AT ME.
  • On the flipside, one of the worst:

• Knock in' On Heaven's Door - GnR > Bob
  • Live and let die GnR> SuPaul
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Knock in' On Heaven's Door - GnR > Bob

Are you sure you haven't been sniffing something other than rank subjugation?
  • Valerie, zutons vs Winehouse, I would say Winehouse would come out on top. Off the top of my head.

The Ronson/Winehouse version is one of my most despised covers.

Obvious suggestion time - I Love Rock & Roll, Tainted Love, I Fought the Law, I Will Always Love You, Torn.

I liked Futureheads version of Hounds of Love. I also prefer The Atari's version of Boys of Summer
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Easy Faith No More>Easy Lionel Richie.

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Watchtower and Heaven's door belong to Bob. All Bob's songs belong to Bob. Bob rules all.
  • Except the ones you mention.
  • Hendrix gets a nod, but only a nod. GnR are shit.
  • Behold Bob's shitness;

• I can't see the vid on my phone, but I'm gonna dispute its shitness anyway. Slash once played on a track on one of Dylan's studio albums (Wiggle Wiggle). Legend has it when he suggested the GnR version of Knockin' was better than Bob's because of the electric guitars, Pete Seeger burst in with a fire axe and attempted to cut his head off.
  • Bob Dylan is a fucking joke.  A slack handful of decent songs, a few of which have improved under different performers.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I can't see the vid on my phone, but I'm gonna dispute its shitness anyway. Slash once played on a track on one of Dylan's studio albums (Wiggle Wiggle). Legend has it when he suggested the GnR version of Knockin' was better than Bob's because of the electric guitars, Pete Seeger burst in with a fire axe and attempted to cut his head off.

He is selling shit cars so it automatically becomes shit. The fact that the first line out of his mouth is "is there anything more American than America?" just reinforces the shitness.
  • adored wrote:
    Cash, Hurt, done.
    Yes.

adkm1979 wrote:
    Just - Mark Ronson ft. Phantom Planet > Radiohead (yup)
    No.

Live and let die GnR> SuPaul
    Good lord no.

GnR are shit.
    100% yes.

No one had better say Sympathy For The Devil by GnR, as that was a travesty.

• adkm1979 wrote:
    Bob Dylan is a fucking joke.  A slack handful of decent songs

This is not an opinion I share.

I agree with all of Skondo's post above though, except the '100% yes' bit. Appetite for Destruction cannot be dismissed imo...it just can't. They've been dining out on it for decades, but it's a great album. Illusions 1&2 could be condensed into one, quite short, good album. Near enough everything else is shit, but who gives a shit about everything else?
  • Polyphonic spree's lithium
    Corinne bailey rae's steady as she goes
  • @Andy Surely can't dismiss Bob that much! More than a handful of great songs per album imo; Desire, BotT, Highway, Bringing it all Back, BoB... couple of albums worth of gems on those alone.

Anyway, back on topic, I'll shamelessly plug my favourite band here:

Love this cover, always so much energy in Elevator's live stuff. I struggle to listen to a lot of hippy/psychedelic/bay area stuff from the 60s these days, it all just lacks balls, instead going for twee, airy, flowery shit. Take Surrealistic Pillow for e.g. - great album for sure, but, ack, just doesn't have any bite. The Elevators on the other hand, those guys go for an all-out assault, imo anyway. Still listen to them regularly, Easter Everywhere in particular.

And to link back to Bob, here's another of theirs. Took me a while to like this tbh but it's really grown on me.

@Moot - Enjoyed those Love covers, Forever Changes has to be one of the ultimate summer albums, great to listen to with the sun shining, some drinks and some smokes.

Ooo, ooo, and just 'cause why not:

• Rocket Man - Kate Bush. The Sisters of Mercy recorded a great cover of Gimme Shelter, but I'm not convinced it's better than the original.
  • Ray Wylie Hubbard once sang, in the song 'Screw You, We're From Texas':
    But when it comes to music my friend
    I believe these words are as true as St. John the Revelator's;
    Our Mr. Vaughan was the best that there ever was
    And no band was cooler than the 13th Floor Elevators.
    Always liked those last two lines.  He also references Easter Everywhere in another song, but I can't remember what off the top of my head.

Forever Changes is a lovely album.  I only ever bought that and De Capo though, figured they were all I'd need. 

Back to Bob quickly - there are two handfuls of previously unreleased tracks from the official bootleg series alone that I'd be unhappy having to live without.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!