A Bad (& Good) Cover Version of Love
  • I haven't gone anywhere with Love aside from Forever Changes, maybe I should.

Yeah the Elevators are just fantastic, I love all the cover stuff they do - we gotta get outta this place, need somebody to love, the word, i'm gonna love you too, you really got me etc etc - but it's all pretty shonkily recorded so you kinda need to be a fan to enjoy it I think, sound really wild and energetic though, must've been great shows (am not talking about the fake live album here). A lot of it is on the headstone sessions or whatever they're called, really great Roller Coaster and Fire Engine live versions on there, but I'm waffling now.

Did you check their unreleased album? It's on youtube, 'A Love that's Sound' or something, mainly a bunch of stuff that eventually made it onto Bull of the Woods, which I rate as an album personally, probably their least-best but when we're talking 3 albums and they're all great that's not really a criticism.

I saw Roky back in ought-9, I think, been waiting for him to return ever since. He was at some festival a while ago but I couldn't afford the ticket and travel just for one act. Kinda wish I had now 'cause he really doesn't seem to travel much outside the states and Scandinavia.
  • I have this, which has the fake live album on there (absolute bargain - was even cheaper when I bought it), and the recent-ish Roky solo album (with Okkervil River as his band).  Wasn't too taken with the latter, despite a couple of good tracks.  Haven't been over-keen on any Okkervil River albums since though, which is a shame.
  • Nice. I wanted this but fuck not at that price - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sign-Eyed-13th-Floor-Elevators/dp/B002DHC3JO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399568899&sr=8-1&keywords=sign+of+the+three+eyed+men

There are some really good live albums on youtube, well, good if you like the elevators that is. Namely:

..and I've got a different one on CD at home.

As for Roky, man I hated that Okkervill album although tbh I didn't listen to all of it. It just completely changed a lot of my favourite Roky songs, namely this album - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Say-Goodbye-German-Import/dp/B00000GBR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399568996&sr=8-1&keywords=never+say+goodbye+roky

...is made up of a lot of the stuff (maybe all of) that he recorded in Rusk mental hospital. Really really good songs, and just Roky with his guitar. The sound recording is terrible on some, just a tape recorder, but the songs are second to none, such as
    - in fact if you haven't heard them I recommend listening to them all, really great stuff but I have a hardon for Rok anyway so take that with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, cover versions eh? Some of them can be good.
  • nick_md wrote:
    @Andy Surely can't dismiss Bob that much!
    I used to own and listen to a few Dylan albums, as much because I felt I was supposed to.  Never loved any of it, except maybe Like a Rolling Stone.  Even then, he irritates me with that song.  The scansion in his writing is woeful, then he fucks it up further the way he sings.  Over the years he's become a parody of himself, and in doing so has spoiled the few things he did well.  I'm now more irritated by his vocals than I used to be.
  • Listen to Desire & Nashville Skyline. If that fails I can't help you, sorry!

That said, I don't listen to half as much Bob as I did at uni (classic, eh?), but he maintains a special place.
  • I get the vocals thing (there must be something in it because I hear the complaint regularly), but I think his voice is perfect - goosebump inducing within a few bars of the correct songs, in fact, and many times throughout many changes in his career. I do have a habit of liking male singers who can't sing though.  If anything, Nashville Skyline might be my least favourite of the multiple voices of Bob, despite being the one where he admirably holds a tune (excluding the Cash duet....).

Adkm's parody of himself thing is in full effect here:

...but those goosebumps though (one of the aforementioned two handfuls of bootlegs):

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Can someone recommend me the definitive version of Fields of Athenry?
    Ah, you'd need to be in the crowd at Celtic Park on a champions league night to hear that. 

renders LFC's attempts laughable

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Davyk suggested something similar, it seems to be one of those kind of songs.  Slightly too much audience participation tarnishes the best version I have on cd, but it's very much an audience participation song.  If I could see the Northern Lights from Celtic Park that would probably go on my bucket list.
  • I've sat in Celtic Park late at night when it's completely empty and all the lights are off and it was illuminated only by the moon and the milky way, but no not the Northern Lights. 
    Big stadiums are simply awesome places in those sort of conditions. Seen a fucktonne of them like that.
  • There's not much else on my bucket list.  Live in a log cabin for a week perhaps, write a country song I'm proud of, maybe finish the dark worlds on Super Meat Boy.  Hopefully I can fit all five in at some point. 

• Aye, that's probably the best version tbf, but I do have a soft spot for this…

you might want to avoid it though ;)

g.man
  • Avoid it?  I just ordered a copy from Zoverstocks. 

From the 1 star review with the title 'What the f**k is going on?!?'
    Yeah, great idea. Get some respected irish themes and put a chavy beat behind it!
    I can imagine it coming out a jumped up Japenese hatchback
    Thank-you Irish Clubland!
    Sing along with me!
    BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! (whiskey in a jar) BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
    It's so bad it's bad.  I can't wait.

Edit: Track 15 is a medley.
  • Have we had Whisker in a Jar Metallica version yet?
    Excellent cover.
  • Pretty much any version of that is a cover, with it being a folk song.
  • A cover that's generally considered superior but isn't: Me & Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin.  It's a belting performance, but Kristofferson's is better.  See also: Pancho & Lefty (Van Zandt > Emmylou Harris).
  • Pretty much any version of that is a cover, with it being a folk song.

Fair point, great track though.
  • Watchtower and Heaven's door belong to Bob. All Bob's songs belong to Bob. Bob rules all.

Neil says hi

g.man
  • Red House Painters version of Silly Love Songs Cover > Paul McCartney Original 

Don't know about Fields of Athenry. Thought maybe the likes of Gemma Hayes, Damien Dempsey, or even David Kitt may have done covers, but it isn't so.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    A cover that's generally considered superior but isn't: Me & Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin.  It's a belting performance, but Kristofferson's is better.  See also: Pancho & Lefty (Van Zandt > Emmylou Harris).
    Grateful Dead do a kick-ass version of Me & Bobby McGee.  Other versions seem flat.
  • Skondo wrote:
    The Sisters of Mercy recorded a great cover of Gimme Shelter.

Opinions and all that but that is fuckin rotten.

Enjoyable cover of one of my favourite songs:

Worst thing I've ever heard:

And my favourite version of this one:

• Dear Lord…

have mercy…

on our souls…

the mind boggles

g.man
  • Straight in at No.1 in the WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK category…

what happens in Vegas…

g.man
  • She's a ridiculous woman.
  • Move over Shatner…
  • Cosby is the best thing I've ever heard.  That first line.  Amazing.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • My favourite stand up routine .
  • Murphy just nails the both of them perfectly.
  • Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!