The Division
  • I hit the wooden target frame, zeroing a scope with a .22 rimfire, it made a surprisingly large exit hole. 
    Yes, I believe .22 diameter is larger than 5.56, just considerably shorter.

When I first started to shoot years ago I remember the boxes having a safety warning on them saying 'Dangerous up to 2 miles'!
    They are tiny, it's hard to believe.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • The engine of the game is a beast. The damage in the glass etc is procedural, it's splitting up the mesh in real-time for the fracturing. Not sure if theyve gone down to a firing range to test bullet hole sizes but i genuinely think it would make for an amusing email to them if you keep it lighthearted if one of you fancy doing that. Might take a bit of tweaking to get perfect but as a procedural system they could probs make you guys happy, its not like the artists have to remodel or retexture anything.

The vids have been a feast of what is indeed next gen technology. The big factor is now a bunch of stuff is being done by the gpu, which is humming through these effects effortlessly, stuff absolutely impossible previously. That smoke, the destruction, water, lighting with as little as possible precomputed (theres some precomputed probes in the interiors for bounced light that im hopefully going to be the owner of an analogue system soon, well excited, but eventhese probes are just helpers for more gpu fun), all realtime, things getting less fake than ever, which is nice because now this stuff is getting less smoke and mirrors, the creation of stuff has much more freedom, less restraint.

Loads of the now new gen stuff ive seen so far has looked diabolical, but this is a beaut as ive seen so far, and get used to it! Hopefully the evolution will be similar as last gen, possibly much faster because the processing is a whole paradigm ahead, not just a bit faster, but you'll definitely see a lot of the impressive effects in these videos as signature eventually, you might even start taking the piss out of them eventually (Example being the 'unreal engine look' which was probs, id say, really made signature by gears of war, which wowed everyone, but every dev that licensed it after just didnt bother working on their own aesthetic enough so ended up looking a bit the same. People blamed the unreal engine for it but that was pretty unfair cause it's rubbish, as far as i can tell it's some over application and not enough care taken of normal maps, and also maybe a particular direction of colour correction, thats bugger all to do with the engine its just lazy and derivative art)

I wish the games coming up were as exciting as the technology behind them
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    I hit the wooden target frame, zeroing a scope with a .22 rimfire, it made a surprisingly large exit hole. 
    Yes, I believe .22 diameter is larger than 5.56, just considerably shorter.

When I first started to shoot years ago I remember the boxes having a safety warning on them saying 'Dangerous up to 2 miles'!
    They are tiny, it's hard to believe.

The large exit hole will be because the bullet (.22) will already have started to deform and tumble, due in part to its lower velocity. A high velocity round (5.56, 7.62) will have enough energy to carry it through, they wouldn't start to tumble until about 2 inches in, or further.
  • Lots of different factors effect the rounds penetration characteristics. Muzzle velocity, range, arc, design and the target itself. 5.56 is next to useless against material. It'll pop through thin board (leaving a tiny hole) but can be stopped by anything more than a couple of inches. Against flesh at close range (up to 300m ish) it'll more than likely go straight through leaving a relatively small exit wound caused more by force trauma than any round tumble. Any further out and you'll start to see less penetration and more internal damage as the round begins to arc down and you can see some crazy results within a body where the round will ping around internally as the round bounce off bones like a pinball. 7.62 is brutal. Slower speed but much more powerful round with brilliant penetration and range. In all likely hood a hit from a gpmg 7.62 equals death. Very traumatic wounds. Being down range from one, even in cover, is scary. A 5.56 impact sounds like someone knocking politely on your door. 7.62 sounds like it's being hit by a pneumatic road drill.
  • i very much enjoy the tranquility of Worcester, where noone has shot at my flat even once yet
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I spy an opportunity for a secret Santa present.
  • Red LetterDay: Drive By Shooting Experience?
  • Pantyfire has already sent me a bullet with my name on it
  • Ha. Forgot about that....those where the days eh?
    Going the post office with those was fun.
  • Haha yes, goodtimes, mine's still on my coffee table, bit corroded but a symbol of a golden age
  • Just noticed thread title. This is also coming to PC.

So rejoice, members of the PC master race, the initial footage that circulated a few months back was apparently the PS4 build, those who have suitably potent PCs must be in a good old fashioned face melting.

Also I notice this game looks similar in it's gameplay/online concept to Destiny. However this appears to be immune from the 'omg so boring, ghey, boooooooooo Bungie' criticism that Destiny is attracting right now.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Im not sure anyone said destiny was boring did they? I just think it looked really cheap in the latest promo videos. Might just be production standards of promotional material
  • People said that Destiny looked like Halo and they were bored with that.

This doesn't look similar beyond being an MMO shooter. Third person, especially modern military with quick kill times aren't going to be easy to pull off. I'd say Destiny has a better chance of success.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Who said Destiny looked like Halo?!

I thought this has not yet failed to impress. That first in game footage still caused a erection in my brain. I'd love to have seen my real time MRI. The pattern would've been labelled NEXT GEN! Cheap, watt.

Perhaps something has changed, not managed to watch any new or that recent footage.

Watch it be a fuking let down now, eh.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • i meant destiny looked cheap not this, this has been very well presented and the tech is super swanky

i'm vaguely hoping this is technologically the equiv of gta4 last gen and the equiv gta5 is a brainboner atom bomb
  • beano wrote:
    Who said Destiny looked like Halo?!
    Everyone with eyes and a voice.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sorry, I correct myself- The Division I was on about that. Derp a derp.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yes t'other looks like Halo. Not erect at all.
  • Dysentery doesn't just look like another Halo, it also pulls off the masterstroke of managing to look like the woeful Star Wars prequels.

attack of the clowns

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'd play a game about dysentery. Bungie should make some Hemorrhoid games too. You're some kind of small monkey.
  • I'm intrigued by Destiny but every video is just re skinned halo. 
    I've played tonnes of halo.
    It's going to have to do something else to impress

Conversely I have been a military shootermans loads of times to but I'm not bored of that. Less pink or something maybe...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Destiny looks like Halo+. That's plenty good enough for me.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
  • Food and water as a currency, rather than having to loot 'em to survive, seems like a bit of a copout, but as long as it's fun right?

By far the most interesting game on the horizon for PS4/Xbone, indubitably.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sounds like this might not be out till 2015!
  • FFS.
  • It's ok there's stuff to do until then. I'm really liking the look of this though, obv a different sorta game but it's making its open city competitors look a tad wanky
  • More Snowdrop willy waving.
  • Officially delayed until 2015.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-15-the-division-delayed-until-at-least-q2-2015

Not even in the fiscal year, so launching beyond March.
  • Good in that it's best not to rush these things, bad because I'm not convinced we're ever going to see anything close to that E3 demo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!