Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Right, one question I have.

One the Motherboard there is an 8 pin 12v ATX power socket.

The PSU has no such plug. It has two separate 4 pin plugs on the same strand that fit in the holes. Do I jam them both in or just one.
  • It's normally a four pin but I guess those newer motherboards need more power through that particular connection. The split cable would be to allow for connecting to 4 pins MBs, so yes, together they would be the 8pin for that socket.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Sweet, cheers.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    So I powered on (in the middle of a thunderstorm) without the graphics card and everything seemed to work, then it tried to load Windows and had a massive donk. Windows is now running repairs, and has been for five minutes.

Once that gets sorted (fingers crossed) I'll try putting the card in.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Well this is turning into a marathon.

Windows refused to repair itself, but luckily the Knackard Bell recovery partition was a full install rather than an image. Unfortunately I stupidly said "keep user files" so that was 3 hours wasted while it copied them from one bit of the HDD to another. I also now have (had) a full compliment of Knackard Bell bloatware.

Wouldn't connect to the internet as it couldn't find a LAN driver. So I got the motherboard DVD out.....and realised I was going to have to install a DVD drive after all.

Windows Found 144 Updates. lol

Haven't even got the graphics card in yet!
  • Soo tempted to go the über PC route myself but every time I say to myself I will do it I read an article/forum like this and get cold feet. Plus it never works out as cheap as people make out. If I was going to go down the pg gaming road I want to go full out and not just gave a machine that "should" handle "most" stuff ok.
    How über is Mods and what was the final cost (sans monitor)?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Final cost was £707 sans a monitor, HDD and OS.

I'm going to have to get the SSD when it comes back into stock though, the HDD clunks are needles in an otherwise surprisingly quiet set-up.

I haven't run any banchmarks, and don't really intend to, but the Windows Experience Index (for what it's worth) came up as 7.8 for processor and RAM and 7.9 for desktop and gaming graphics. (out of 7.9)

HDD was a clutzy 5.6.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    So I think I've finished fiddling -or more accurately updating- for now. It saved me £140 ish quid but I probably should have bought a fresh HDD/SDD and OS. Annoyingly I've just found out you can get a clean image and use the OEM product key. Maybe I'll do that when I plunge for an SSD.

Apart from making the odd mistake like forgetting to put the back IO cover on, connecting fan wires to wrong points (but realising shortly after what I'd done wrong) and getting completely bamboozled by connecting the power to the graphics card it more or less went without a hitch.

Everything seems to be running fine. I swapped the TVs between the lounge and my room so it's now running on a 1080p set for games and mirrored to a higher res 22" monitor for work.

I realised I don't actually have any PC games, other than The Orange Box. So I downloaded HL2 again, stuck eveything up to max and it looked lovely.. in a 2004 kinda way.

Decided this was no good, and I didn't fancy playing HL2 again so downloaded the demo of Arkham City. Matched the resolution to 1080 turned DX11 bits on and shoved everything up to the maximum thinking if it didn't run nice I'd just work backwards turning stuff down/off till it did run nice like I'd always done with PC games before.

Holy fuck, it was like someone did a sex wee in my eyeballs. Looked goegeous without (noticably at least) dropping frames or tearing. Tried to take a print screen but it only grabbed the title screen for some reason.

As a bonus even with the stock Intel fan the record says it never went over 40c. Seems odd it would hit that and go not a percentage point further but hey. Forgot to check what the card was reporting, will do next time.

Needless to say I'm one very happy bunny right now.

So a huge, huge thank you to everyone that offered advice whilst working out what to do. Thanks for being patient.

Anyone doing similar shout and I'll do my best to write up a more detailed how to (as if I'm some kind of expert now).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I read most of this thread, but I understood less than half of what was going on. PC gaming isn't for me.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I read most of this thread, but I understood less than half of what was going on. PC gaming isn't for me.

Ha. Try trying to work it out because you've got to a) buy expensive bits of electronics and then b) piece it all together.

It's actually not that difficult, really. The basic components haven't changed since forever you just have to get a fair grasp on what the specific technologies within them do.
  • Glad to hear it's up and running and nothing went wrong. Oh and of course Batman plays on max! It's a port of a console game and your PC is a beast. I think you should get Arma II because it will properly test your system, I think you will like it and you can join us in Day Z. You can get it for £15 on Sprocket (currently £5 off and £10 cheaper than on Steam).
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mod - I'm going to be doing this over the next few weeks. If you could post costings, that'd be useful.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Here's everything I've bought. I didn't get all of it from Scan but they seem ball park what you'd pay elsewhere. If you're registered with AVForums or Hexus you can get free postage.

The SSD hasn't arrived yet but I'm including it in the list as if you're going to this much effort then 80 quid for an SSD seems a stupid upgrade to overlook.

The case is great for 40 quid, easy access and the 2 supplied fans are quiet enough and do the job fine for stock settings. As is the Intel fan/heat sink. Nice plain black. The description says it has fan exhaust covers but in reality it's only the front slots that have a dust cover.

Didn't spend very long researching the card, just grabbed the cheapest GTX 670 I could find. So far I've played everything on max settings and they haven't quivered except Metro 2033 which had some screen tearing I didn't like so dropped from very high to high.

I did spend a while looking at SSDs and the Crucial M4 always come up near the top and is a good price.

I didn't buy an OS as I had a donor PC. I've bought two extra fans, one for the graphics card side and one for the front. Don't really feel I needed them, under heavy load card runs at 70c and chip runs at 40c which is fine but I was playing safe. Ish.

Untitled-1-8.jpg
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Reg, I dunno if this helps, probably not much, but here's the innards.

WP_000250.jpg
    WP_000251.jpg
    WP_000252.jpg
    WP_000253.jpg
    WP_000254.jpg
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Note how I had to fit the DVD drive in the bottom slot as the power cable is stupid short.
  • I think you should now indulge in some pimping, for continuation's sake.

imageview.php?image=20463
  • Final spec for mine:

2GB MSI R7850 PowerEdi 2GD5/OC
    Intel Core i5 3570K s1155
    GByte GA-Z77-D3H Z77 MoBo
    8GB 2x4G CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 XMP
    1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX
    620W ANTEC NEOECO MODULAR PSU
    MS Win 7 Home Prem 64bit OEM
    Pioneer BDR-207DBK DUAL LAYER
    Fractal Design Arc Series ATX Case
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Looking good!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Actually, looking at my picture up there you can see the adapter for the second graphic card power supply.
  • Depending on the PSU, he might not need an adapter as some come with 2 of the required cables. Since his PSU is modular i'm guessing this is one of them and the adapter will not be necessary.

edit: never mind, done a search and appears it's '1 x 6+2pin PCI-E Power' so will be necessary after all.

Nice PC mrsmr2 btw!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I think he's bought the exact one I did.
  • @mrsmr2

I noticed this on the SCAN website for your PSU:

**Please NOTE: does not include power cord and modular cables**

Have you also ordered the modular cables? If not looks like you might need to.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    What are modular cables?

I mentioned in the other thread the only tricky bit was the PSU had one 6 pin size cable. But the graphic card had space for 2x6 pin (or one 12 pin I guess).

But the card came with an adapter to turn a different lead from the PSU into what I needed.

Do modular cables let you run a proper 12 pin cable from the ports on the back of the PSU?
  • Modular just means the cables are detachable from the PSU so you don't have a bunch of wires in there that you don't need, makes it nice and tidy and improves air flow.

They don't do 12 pin cables, but some PSUs do have 2x6 pin (or 1 six pin + 1 8 pin which can double as a second six pin - ATI cards generally need an 8 pin + 6 pin PCI-e).
  • @mrsmr2

I noticed this on the SCAN website for your PSU:

**Please NOTE: does not include power cord and modular cables**

Have you also ordered the modular cables? If not looks like you might need to.

That is what I was referring to in the other thread. The site says no modular cables but then lists the cables provided.

I ordered the same psu as Mod so I should be ok.

I'll give Scan a call to double check.
  • I build my own PC earlier on this year and pretty much followed the rule of thumb as displayed in this thread:

i5 3500 OC'd to about 5000
    GTX 560i
    8GB of RAM
    etc

The one thing I didnt do is get any additional hard drives and simply inserted my old 500GB and 1TB drives into the new case. As a result, I've got pretty poor SATA drives running at 5400RPM and they seem to be the one thing that gives me a poor Windows Performance Score (a game in itself!)

Plus, I'm running out of room on all my drives.

So, the question:

1. How easy is it to install a SSD and Windows without the need for any tomfoolery? I dont want to have to fuck around with duplication of Operating Systems. I just want to install the drive, have Windows install or copied and have no other issues.

Is this at all possible?
  • For all those who have bought new PCs, my friend just built one with an 8 core processer, that is about 4-6 too many cores.
  • Tempy wrote:
    For all those who have bought new PCs, my friend just built one with an 8 core processer, that is about 4-6 too many cores.
    ]

It's about four too many today - but will at least allow him a few more years out of the processor.
  • Tech bragging really, the Bulldozers have had poor reviews from what I've seen.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tech bragging really.

Totes.

Where is this friend from?

THE FUTURE!?!?!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!