Outdoor Pursuits - Carry on up the Khyber.
‹ Previous12
  • I'm off to India for 3 weeks with a group of students in a few weeks time to build a school, get the shits, lose some weight, get rabies etc. 

Wondered whether anyone had been before and had any advice? So far I've been told to pack some comfy tissues and a peg for when I'm defecating into a hole in the ground; to go vegetarian whilst I'm out there; to drink a can of Coke a day to settle the stomach and so on. Any other tips?

Also, I'm taking a Canon EOS camera and a Go Pro camcorder - is there any small device that allows me to transfer my files from the full SD cards to it so that I can free up the cards for further use? Or is it easier and cheaper to buy more SD cards?

We've got to buy a sleeping mat - anyone know of any decent ones? I've been advised not to buy a pump-up one but to get a foam one instead. The foam/air hybrid mats seem pretty decent. Any advice on walking boots gratefully accepted. 

Looking forward for our 7 hour train ride from Chennai - so far I've been told to make sure that I put my baggage in the overhead racks otherwise parents put their kids in them and they're likely to urinate on your face. Happy days.
  • how strong are the walking boots you need? Do you need proper hiking boots or those toughish trainers?

sounds like a great experience. Would you be so kind as to put some pics up on your return?

Obvious things i'd suggest in countries of that ilk would be to avoid fruit and salad due to the water. That includes icecream. What are you like in the sun? Is it going to be fucking hot? You didn't mention any weather care/protection. If its going to piss it down be prepared for that too.

good luck!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I've been told to get Goretex boots and guess they need to be fairly robust as we're going on a 3 day trek through a tiger reserve. Probably going to buy a pair of Nike ACG trainers as well as always found them pretty decent. 

Will put a load of pictures up on the photography thread when I get back. Hoping that the Go Pro yields decent results. It comes with a waterproof shell so hoping to jump in a waterfall with it. And then have my last moments of being eaten by a crocodile captured for prosperity. 

I'm normally pretty good in the sun, so no real worries there, but I'll be getting Deet'ed up to stop the mozzies. Already jabbed up to the max, not sure how many more pricks I can take (!). 

I've got to take some waterproofs with me because it's apparently monsoon season.
  • i'd spend a fair amount on the waterproof as a very breathable waterproof is a thousand times better than a normal one which just stops the rain. Do you need any level of security for your camera/tech.

Can't advise on the goretex boots so much, i use the heavy duty ones which aren't so breathable.

Those portable shower things you can buy which you hang from a tree are pretty good and any women in your troup will love you for it! They're pretty light imo and worth taking if you're like me and can't function until you have a shower.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I don't think Goretex is tiger-proof fyi.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I don't think Goretex is tiger-proof fyi.
    I've thought of that already. I'm attaching Pepperami to the back of the students.
    mk64 wrote:
    Those portable shower things you can buy which you hang from a tree are pretty good and any women in your troup will love you for it!  

Cheers for the advice, will have a look into them. Security-wise, I'm either going to keep the cameras in my day-bag or when we're in sheltered accomodation, there will be a safe. I've got insurance that will cover me anyway.
  • I don't think insurance is tiger-proof either.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Re the air bed.

I've got one (well two) of these

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-reeded-single-sized-sleeping-airbed-p143575

They're only slightly heavier than a roll mat, and fold up to about 1/3 of the size. You stamp on the corner to blow them up and it takes about 60 seconds.

They're very narrow so you can't move around much, and you shouldn't inflate them fully fully as they can be too hard. But I've slept on camping rolls and that's 1000% more comfy.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I don't think insurance is tiger-proof either.

My blunderbuss is my tiger insurance. That, and course language. 

Mod, think I'll go against the conventional advice and go with an air-bed - everyone I know has said they're preferable, including your good self. I'm guessing I'm going to be shattered at the end of each day anyway so could probably sleep on a nail-bed. I believe they're quite the thing over there.
  • Just bring a fat kid with you.
  • Good thinking.  Works both as bed AND tiger bait.
  • Boots you say?
    Years of working on OB's in the pissing rain has lead me to the conclusion that Scarpa make the best Goretex lined walking boot. Very comfortable and supremely waterproof...
    Scarpa_ZG65_XCR_Mens_Boot1.jpg?width=800&height=800

Alternatively, the most comfortable workbook I've owned are these Timberland Earthkeeper 74134 boots...
    74134_detail_01.jpg
    The Timberlands are awesome, but require breaking in and constant re-proofing which may be too much effort if you're in the arse end of nowhere, so I'd recommend the Scarpa boots.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I second g's advise on Scarpa boots. I've had a few pairs over the years and give them a big thumbs up. I also highly rate my Merrell goretex shoes if you don't want a full boot. Depends on how you are with your ankles but I've used them on some fairly rugged/soggy terrain and they were great.

For a sleeping mat, have you considered a Thermarest? I've had one for donkeys and couldn't recommend it enough. Barely bigger than a foam mat and more comfortable by several orders of magnitude.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    I don't think insurance is tiger-proof either.
    We could just ask Tiger.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • metagonzo wrote:
    I second g's advise on Scarpa boots. For a sleeping mat, have you considered a Thermarest? I've had one for donkeys and couldn't recommend it enough. Barely bigger than a foam mat and more comfortable by several orders of magnitude.
    Cheers Meta. 

Not heard of Scarpa boots before so I will have a look-see on those. Big fan of Timberland Earthkeepers so may well get those as well - does the coating make them waterproof G? 

I had short-listed a Therma-Rest mattress so think I'll go with that. 

By way of thanks for your suggestions G-Man, here goes:-
    http://www.pica-pic.com/#/gman/
  • Don't take the Timberlands, they'll be really heavy and your feet will be a sweaty mess soon after putting them on, followed by blisters.

You'll need industrial strength mozzie repellent, the jungle formula ones with DEET in are the shizz. Also take yourself a little stash of Immodium and Sennapod, plasters and stuff. If you're being extra safe, one of those traveller kits that has a supply of syringes and needles as well (but that's ultra careful).

I go to Chennai with work about twice a year. The real India is absolutely amazing, the people are wonderfully friendly, the place I find hilariously chaotic and at the same time incredibly refreshing (i.e. there seems to be a common sense approach to so many things). Seriously be careful crossing the roads/being near the roads. Eating veggie sounds like decent advice. I've never been ill, but, I've never been into the countryside tbh.

Bearing in mind I've only been around the cities, happy to answer any other questions...
  • Don't take the Timberlands, they'll be really heavy and your feet will be a sweaty mess soon after putting them on, followed by blisters. You'll need industrial strength mozzie repellent, the jungle formula ones with DEET in are the shizz. Also take yourself a little stash of Immodium and Sennapod, plasters and stuff. If you're being extra safe, one of those traveller kits that has a supply of syringes and needles as well (but that's ultra careful).

Nice one. Someone told me India has a 'closed currency', meaning we can't buy any currency in the UK. Is that correct? 

Going to buy a load of DEET spray - any idea how much I'd need for 3 weeks? Any advice on decent head-torches, pen-knife and water bootle? Was just going to get a swiss army knife, a siggi bottle and a bog-standard head-torch.
  • Yeah. Don't worry though. They have cash machines (especially in the towns and cities) and your debit card will work over there, just take the normal precautions you would over here (shield the pin when you type it in, etc., let your bank know you're abroad). If you really want to, change £20 at the airport when you arrive, for tips, etc. Terrible exchange rate there though. Re towns and cities by the way, they do have supermarkets, etc (although the TV doesn't like to show you that bit!)

Hmm. No idea how much spray you'll need (especially as I'd be spraying it on constantly). Don't miss any exposed skin, if I do I get properly eaten...

Swiss army knife will be fine as will the siggi. If you take a torch that needs batteries, remember they won't be that easy to come by in less populated areas. At night you'll attract some rather interesting insects with that torch too.

Edit: Really a lot of the stuff is common sense. Bottled water. Don't pet the dogs. It's a third world country, but with a lot of first world additions...very strange mix.
  • my boots are skarpa so I also recommend the brand but as i said in the first post, go for something slightly lighter than those which look like the tiberlands as they dont breath so much.
  • Another thumbs up for the quality of thermarest and scarpa quality. I've had scrapa boots and and approach shoes and they're comfy and hard wearing. Thermarest are a good compromise between comfort and size. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend both.
  • Oh, waterproofs. How much you willing to spend? You may want to look at golf brands that do goretex stuff, especially as you'll really want to be dry and relatively comfortable.
  • Arse.......how do I link a video from Photobucket?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Don't drink any water that's not from a sealed bottle. If restaurants bring water with the plastic seal removed then refuse it. Don't even let water in the shower get into your mouth. Seriously, the water in India is lethal and if you ingest any of it you will probably spend at least a week shitting and puking yourself in a sweaty heap. Do not be tempted by inviting looking homemade fizzy drinks that are available everywhere. Buy Norfloxacin from any chemist and keep it handy for very likely eventualities.
  • Get an mp3 player you can transfer photos to i.e. not apple. Though SD cards are mentally cheap too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, never travel 3rd class on a train. Second class is ok, 3rd will kill you.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, monsoon is leech season. Long socks tucked into trousers if you're anywhere vaguely jungly.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, green snakes are the bad ones. Do not point at them and laugh.

If you have boots, do a compulsory spider check before putting them on. Not doing so can lead to unpleasant consequences.
  • Ice is often from the dodgy water so decline it with drinks if offered.
  • Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  It can lead to unpleasant consequences.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!