No Man's Sky
  • You could have each planet procedurally designed but have events in them that are scripted. The thrill will hopefully be in off the cuff (by necessity) decision making rather than rote learning of corner taking like a car chase in GTA
  • This looks amazing.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    And they've been hiring heavily since their original teaser btw Gonz. It's a 6 man tech demo no longer..
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • The thing could be a failure but at least it looks like it could be good. It doesn't have that identikit ratatatatatatatat machine gun sound constantly.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Yes no story please.
    The story needs to be player driven. create alliances with friends decide on your enemies etc...
    I get the impression this started out as a 'can we do it' type of tech exercise that has turned into a game, as such I'm a little worried it might be incredibly pretty but shallow in the play and the motivation to play aspects of it.

I so want this to be good tho, this really brings back the excitement and feeling of endless possibilities that I used to get from gaming when I was a kid.

That's what I'm getting at regarding the story. You have your main objective, to get to the centre of the universe, but on the way there has to more to it than just planet hopping and gawping at the odd dinosaur. I'm hoping for a few factions at war with each other, space pirates, aliens etc. with randomly generated missions relating to each faction.

I'm not talking about proper chapters of cutscene driven gobshite, you go off and do a thing, pop an achievement and it's on to the next one. Fuck that.

It's gonna be tricky to pull off but I've got my fingers crossed.
  • It basically needs to be a deeper Elite.
    That's all, I will spunk in my pants and never leave the house.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • TBH, I don't think it needs to be a deeper Elite, because Elite: Dangerous will be that. 
    This needs to be Elite Light - fun fluff that keeps things nice and simple, not going overly complex - drag in the casuals so there's lots of players, then crunch them all up as they move towards the galactic core so they all start fighting, forming guilds and building capital ships and the like.

The preview vid thingy showed a buncha big ships warping in in formation - presume the intention is for there to be NPC groups of pirates/corp fleets etc. to fight, but the further in you go the more they become player-controlled, until every ship is manned by punters all gunning for each other.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'd buy that for a dollar.
  • It defo needs to be a deeper Elite. The whole motivation to Elite was to be Elite, that's pretty much it, everything else you did, the exploring, the trading was to achieve to that goal.
  • This game needs to be nothing more than what that trailer just showed. It needs no story - making pals, upgrading stuff, resource collection are nice and add a sense of Elite/Frontier for multiplayer, otherwise i think i could lose myself in that game with an OR forever. It would probs get boring without one (Like Dear Esther is) but be endless magic with one (Like Dear Esther is). So far as it keeps the promise of the trailers, count me in, headset ready

Theres no real point in making a mock up like shown in the trailer, it would literally be faster to have things created procedurally, and the limits of procedural generation are the limits of the place created by them. If this wants to go all banksian, massive chunks of the trailer are completely established long proven procedural techniques, jazzed up L-tree for trees, template creatures with aspects controlled by bone structure, and aspects controlled by any number of combined morphs, procedural animation seen in Spore is now available in literature for all kinds of things. Their graphics are gorgeous, assuming it used PBR then stylised, materials can be wild but consistent pretty much no matter what you have the material on, etc etc

Procedural can produce enormous variety on every level and i dont want some half arsed story clogging up money and manpower which could be spent on adding more procedural systems. The story should be almost eve-esque, player created, updates could include increased scope by populating undiscovered areas (Remembering hello games' servers only need to hold information about players and what has been discovered) with new stuff, maybe even adding story at a later date when its less wasteful by drawing attention to a zone in the universe as yet undiscovered and be entirely player driven

With an OR though, or an equivalent competitor, i think just looking at things would make this absolutely essential. I want Elite 3 to be 'Elite 2 but deeper' and that will probably be essential too. If those two games live up to their promise i think they're going to be classics
  • This isn't multiplayer though is it? Sure it was said that each game is single player but the joint effort of discovery shows on the galactic map.
  • When I say story I mean more of a purpose. 
    The exploration and discovery of planets is great but it will wear thin quickly if there is no reason or purpose to explore, other than, say, to get fuel for your next jump. You will end up flying to the fuel vein/resource as quickly as possible to get your fuel and then be off to the next planet. 

It needs factions (which the trailer hints at), pirates, yes like EVE. Give us tools and let us make our own factions and alliances in game, let them naturally evolve. It needs farming planets, mineral producing planets for your faction to attack defend or trade with. It needs rare beasts only found on one planet that need to be protected or a light will forever be lost from the galaxy. 
    [looks wistfully into space]. 

This would take donkeys years to produce and I suppose will be beyond a small team. I am so looking forward to finding out tho. I would love to see more information. 

What I am really afraid of is it will be like GTAV when you drive to a new town, you are entertained for 2 mins because it's got different box buildings in it but ultimately you fuck off again because there's nothing you can really do.
  • Out of every game shown this E3 so far this is the one that could actually get me to buy a PS4. I know it's a timed exclusive and with everyone using PC based architecture there's no real necessity for console exclusivity. 
    But I think I would cave in and get one just to play a game I have been dreaming about since Elite, as soon as possible.
  • Pantyfire, if you get it on ps4, get yourself the sony OR-like contribution if available, im pretty sure this is exactly the kind of game that can show off the true potential of the thing, but also explain what i'm saying about how amazing just looking at stuff will be. In this game i'd be just looking at stuff constantly. You get so used to how things are meant to look irl and so used to how games look on a tv that you never expect the impact this newly developed VR stuff has on your view of a game, or even what you like in games

I hate CoD games even more after seeing what they look like VR-style, they're rubbish. I used to get bored in games where i had to walk everywhere, now i'm intrigued by them. Currently games try so hard to make some bigger impression on you as its realised people are being desensitised to crash bang explosion and increasingly aware of how shallow an experience they are. When you're 'in' these action games they're confusing and annoying and not remotely interesting to play, just irritating. Get a game where you do fuck all but walk around looking at pretty things in the main and you get the enjoyment of being able to feel part of a place that could never otherwise exist
  • This with OR might see me losing the use of my legs.
  • It'd be nice if you could go planet-hopping, capturing various beasts and selling them offworld for much moolah. The rarer and more dangerous the more they would be worth.

(But not endless bloody fetch quests. In fact no quests or quest markers or any of that shit, it should be up to the player to decide what to do and where to look.)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I would buy such beasts from you and release them all on a single death planet that I hope many people will stumble on.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    EMERGENT CUNT GAMEPLAY.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    I thin the title should be "no person's sky" misogyny itt

Maybe it's militant feminist and saying the sky belongs to women
  • Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    fuck sake Gnoz this is about teh lawr and teh lawr sez no men's sky is legal, precedent, OBJECTION
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I've just noticed this pretty much has the Tet from Oblivion in the trailer.
  • IT'S GOING TO BE SHIT!  [/stonechalice]
    Rascal chops.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    This PS4 only?

This and Uncharted would be enough reason to bag a 4 for me. Really like the look of it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ps4 and PC I think. I would have thought the powa of the cloud would have been a good fit for this though.
  • Was being pedantic (no offence intended Stone I think you're a lovely bloke)

But I don't know about this. Looks funky but what is the point, is it just searching for stuff to log in a journal or summit?
    Rascal chops.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Ps4 and PC I think. I would have thought the powa of the cloud would have been a good fit for this though.

Shame but not minding more reasons to purchase a PS4 one day tbh now we have TV in the bedroom. Or a WiiU. Pah, choices for another day and thread.

• Isn't it coming to XB1 eventually?
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Isn't it coming to XB1 eventually?

Apparently not?

• I've just noticed this pretty much has the Tet from Oblivion in the trailer.

Here's hoping Andrea Riseborough plays the voice of your ship AI.

"Are we an effective team?"
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!