Raspberry Pi
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Is anyone getting an I/O controller?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Got a 16gig card through today for the telly so hopefully that'll work in the Pi. Off to go investigate wireless hubs, wifi, cases et al.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Order shipped from farnnels, better find out if anybody's got mame running yet.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Ordered mine from RS a week ago, dispatched within 3 weeks, they took my money straight away, which annoys me.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Found out that it's a bit picky currently with SD cards so had to get another one (8gig £3 from Amazon) to see if it'll play ball. Its just a little fiddle project so I'll see if I can fart around with it this weekend a bit. 

Good hunting gentlemen.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So my first arrived - and I rather implausibly gave it to my mum.  No jokes please.
    My second has also now arrived - alongside a free t-shirt (whoop).  So I can actually start using it. 'cept I ain't got no cables or SD card :-( anyone know the best place to get them?  Same place as the RPis themselves, or just on the highstreet?
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Mine should be coming today... I might sell it...

I'd pay a visit to the Pi forum to find out which cards to avoid.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I had a look for a bit at the ebay auctions and some where going for only a fiver profit. Did you ebay yours?

I got an email, was expecting the Pi this month but they (Farnell) say beginning of July. I still have to buy an SD card for it. Hopefully at the end of the month there will be a mass resource of all the cards that don't work so it should make it a shed load easier to pick a few for projects.

Still waiting on RS to let me order.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    I'm slightly ashamed to say that I did sell it, think I got lucky, someone contacted me last Friday, wanting one for her sons birthday on Sunday. Got £65.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Result.

No regrets?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think my SD card writer is due to arrive today/tomorrow, and I now have all other cables and whatnot.  So I might actually be able to get mine up and running soon!  How exciting.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Only thing I regret is not having a PC, should have had one by the time it arrived, but as soon as I get to a few hundred quid, I splurge.

By the time I get a PC, hopefully they'll be freely available and I'll get another.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So it was on, booted up, ethernet cable in, HDMI in, power in
    And then the keyboard didn't work so I couldn't actually log into the mofo.

Grr.

Hope it's just the keyboard being incompatible (as I have a spare one), and now a USB / power issue.  At least the SD card seems to be working OK...  oh well, the wait goes on...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So two of my keyboards don't work, and my third does work, but gives a kernel panic after about 10 seconds.  Brilliant.

Choose thy keyboards wisely, people.
  • Got mine, gave it away to my brother in law as a birthday present because I'd completely forgot and it was the only thing I had at hand. Not really that worried about it until they get mame running on it properly.
  • Oh shit my Pi has been shipped, almost forgot I ordered one. Okaay what stuff am I needing then? I have a 4gb SD card that I've never really needed in my Wii, will I need an SD card reader to get the OS onto the card? And then just a little power adapter, I guess.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Any micro usb power adapter'll work (phones, Kindle etc), SD cards are a bit flakey and need to be quite specific (see above in thread for a link to the kosher ones), usb keyboard, usb mouse, powered usb hub?, hdmi cable. 

The various distress can tend to be found on the Pi homepage but I've had mine sitting on the desk for a month or so now as the first SD card didn't play ball. I think I've got a new one now ready to go but haven't got round to doing it all again. 
    I've got an SD card reader in the macbook so all good but if not you'll need one of those somehow. (Buggering up the install of the cards will screw it over in windows too btw and it's easiest to reset it by sticking it in a phone and formatting there or using disk utility in osx for me) Hazy memory now but iirc the Debian install for example only works with a 2gig partition or card and you have to piss around to get that sorted etc.. it's a good old fiddle and when I have the time again I'm sure I'll get it done.
  • I got my Pi today. It arrived Saturday but I wasn't in so I picked it up from the depot today, hopefully the power adapter and card reader arrive today also. I do actually have a really cheap power supply that my usb hub uses, it seems to be the right spec but can you actually do anything without an SD card with the OS?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You can look at it
  • Yup that's pretty all I can do for today, the extra things I need haven't arrived unless the post is exceptionally late today. Oh well, they should be here by the end of the week.
    I might just see if have enough old Lego to make a case for it.

I didn't realise how many ports it has, there seems to be a few others besides what's shown in the FAQ. Dunno what they're for.
  • Has anyone actually done anything with this except moan that it doesn't work and/or flog it on Ebay?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Freethinker has his wired into his telly doing loads.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Here's my pathetic effort with what lego I still have lying around. Works just fine though.

tCwSH.jpg
  • I have one of these now.

Managed to get Linux on it but completely failed to get XBMC to on it. Fuck Linux basically.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Gurt's pick doesn't work for meh :/

Don't quit Frosty!
  • Fixed it I think.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I much prefer yours.
  • Ta muchly. That really is a shit picture I took, I'll try and take a better one at some point, in better light conditions.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Interview with Eben Upton, creator of the Raspberry Pi.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!