Spock's Basque Adventure
‹ Previous12
  • Mrs Spock and I are heading to San Sebastian for a weekish (around the 3rd to the 11th of August, it's all very fluid really) and then we're going to idle up through France to Paris, flying back on the 15th. There's a festival thing going on, which looks super cool, but if any of you have any experience of this area of Spain, any must sees, good restaurants or whatever, then I would really appreciate any recommends.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Thread title promised so much.

:(

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Saucy bugger
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You probably won't really need to leave the old quarter in the docks area. It's where all the famous pintxos are, the guest houses and bars are there, and it's beside the beach, which also has some nice walks around it on the hill. If you do venture out into the rest of the place, you'll find a very normal, charming little town full of friendly people who look like punks with enormous earrings. Food and drink is much cheaper but equally as good outside the obviously touristy part.

Bilbao is only about 40 minutes away and is worth the visit for the Guggenheim, if that sort of thing floats your boat.

Don't mention the war.

San Sebastian is called Donostiarra in Basque.

Ask for zuritos when you want a beer and everybody will love you.
  • Fuck me, kow! Sweet! As long as zuritos doesn't mean "bum me", thanks a lot! The Guggenheim certainly does float my boat also, i'm internationally renowned for mentioning the wrong topic in the wrong place as (my catastrophic trip to berlin will attest). Good man!!
  • Spock wrote:
    Fuck me, kow! Sweet! As long as zuritos doesn't mean "bum me", thanks a lot!

Good translate might answer your question
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Spock wrote:
    Fuck me, kow! Sweet! As long as zuritos doesn't mean "bum me", thanks a lot! The Guggenheim certainly does float my boat also, i'm internationally renowned for mentioning the wrong topic in the wrong place as (my catastrophic trip to berlin will attest). Good man!!

Oh please elaborate :)

*gets popcorn*
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Good English might help your advice.
  • @sasukekun, it was one of them, joke things. Not a good one but, y'know. 

@harmless, poor choice of words /attempt at humour at the site of hitler's bunker during a walking tour. 

@kow cheers again. Also,any specific pintxos that's a must gobble?
  • I spent a couple of days in San Sebastian a couple of years ago, and found it a charming place.  There was a festival in town when I was there too, with street performers, parades and whatnot.  On one evening, I got very drunk with a gay bassoonist and after a tapas and sangria-fuelled crawl around the back streets, ended up in what was apparently the most reputable gay bar in town.  I have no recollection of what it was called.
    Glad I could help.
  • I shall seek out this gay bassoonist, and see if he can be persuaded to play th....you know where this is going.
  • .  gay bassoonist.

Gamertag: gremill
  • I should clarify - the gay bassoonist isn't Spanish, nor does he live in San Sebastian.  We were on an orchestra tour with the Liverpool Phil.
    We also went to Santander (fairly dull), A Coruna (had amazing seafood) and Santiago de Compostela (astounding place, remarkable gothic cathedral), but they're all a bit out of your way I think.
  • Hmmm. This " Liverpool Phil" sounds hot. Out of interest, whatchu play igor?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The pintxos are traditionally all laid out in front of you, covering the entire bar, so you just take what you want and hold onto the toothpick it comes with. Tbh, I found it all a bit overpriced, but then I'm from Madrid where these things are free with your drink.
  • Cello - don't know what possessed me to fraternise with the wind players - probably to escape the incessant football talk from the cello section.
  • Tried violin as a whelp but was totally shit. Fingers fucked and I never got back in. Kow, Thanks for the heads. Price wise, if I snaffled just a couple of dishes what do you think that'd set me back?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Pintxos are tiny. They cost between 1 and 2 euros each, depending on what it is. They can accumulate quite quickly so be wary.
  • :)
  • Yo shitspanishfood!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Says a Brit yeah. Irony lol.
  • I would assume that San Sebastian (being coastal) has some amazing seafood to offer too.  The paella I had in A Coruna was just astounding.  Puts the UK to shame.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The north of Spain is a kingdom of seafood. Can't stand it myself but whatever.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Actually the fisherman in the port will sell and cook their catch for you there and then if you want.
  • Damn man I loves the fish. Will get some piccies.
  • Spock wrote:
    I shall seek out this gay bassoonist, and see if he can be persuaded to play th....you know where this is going.
    Rhapsody in Blue?
  • That's more of a piano thing, though it begins with a most awesome clarinet glissando.
  • Kow wrote:
    Good English might help your advice.

Oddly enough, it was an Android phone auto-correcting Google to good. Bloody thing.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Kow wrote:
    Pintxos are tiny. They cost between 1 and 2 euros each, depending on what it is. They can accumulate quite quickly so be wary.

Pinxtos are awesome. Dates in bacon, spicy red sausage, or anything with black pudding ftw.
  • Britain is the gastronomic capital of the world.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Shoor.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!