Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I searched the index, you call yourselves gamers

I recall finding the original leaked Japanese magazine shots, buying a ps3 for this title really. Google now obviously has a long memory, as it just fired this sad but maybe not so sad story at me
    http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/08/14/last-guardian-coming-tokyo-game-show-will-ever-see/
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I call myself no such thing.

If this ever comes out I will be impressed but I suspect it won't be very good.
  • You wash your mouth out!
  • They're just looking to break Dukes record.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    If this ever comes out I will be impressed but I suspect it won't be very good.
    They're just looking to break Dukes record.

This does indeed has the whiff of Daikatana about it. Odds on it'll be pretty, though.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I'm pretty sure there's a thread already somewhere.

Anyway, it's coming and it's flagship so they're going to wait until it's good.

Have faith people!
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • This kind of dev limbo only seems to work out for the wee private studios though, if that. Could well be a case of both too many cooks and suits but none with a fucking directorial clue, this one.
  • On a serious note, I already mentioned recently (and indeed years back) that i'd get into the PS3 (and that whole gen, actually) when one of two games was released - The Last Guardian or Persona 5. Not that I had no interest in other games, just that those were the 2 exclusives I was most excited about and many other games could be played on multiple platforms.

Call me crazy, but I do actually see this game coming out, and I do think it will be spellbinding - there's fuck all to go on, obviously, other than an admittedly short track record, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I also think it will be the last Team Ico game - given the fact that at least one key member is now working on it on a freelance contract capacity and I expect the team will go after. But, should that be the case, and should it be good, it'll be a hell of a trilogy.

A lot has been written about both Ico and SotC so I shalln't ramble on too much. Suffice it to say I do find both games incredibly unique in their ability to use the player's physical input to enhance their commitment and immersion into the world. Having to hold down a button to drag Yorda along is, I believe, a moment of true design genius and that one simple input immediately elevates every other feature in the game. On a conceptual level - boy in hat, with stick, saving girl and swashing black phantoms away - it is sublime. 

SotC is even more special, if that's possible. Many games can the whole are-you-the-bad-guy? card but few manage to bring a true sense of guilt and confliction to the table. Many games separate the gameplay and the story, and many only offer a "hard choice" in a binary sense - think Alpha Protocol's save the girl or stop the bomb - but in SotC the action and the choice are one and the same, without hand-holding or telegraphing, just a simple, continual metamorphosis for your character. Very few games truly manage this - one recent example of game where your choice, your input and your feeling have true synergy would be Papers, Please.

And that's kind of why I think this game will be something special. It's not that the team has a record of just creating great games , it's that in Ico and SotC they have a history of creating experiences that manage to perfectly reflect the feeling and tone of the piece by marrying it to the input and action - that's a real fucking talent to give players that feeling, like an art-house active reload. 

I'll wait however long it takes, and I'll buy it on day one.
  • Well put but I would add that Ico & SotC were also mechanically solid games. I'll buy LG so I can close the book called "waiting for The Last Guardian".
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Calm down. It won't be Civ 6.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Well put but I would add that Ico & SotC were also mechanically solid games.

Oh, aye, you're right about that, especially with Ico which is, to my mind, the more mechanically perfect of the two. SotC was solid in terms of control and input, sure, but it had some framerate issues - if it wasn't so special I'm sure a lot more people would have taken umbrage with that.
  • There was a decent piece in the most recent EDGE about a new Japanese startup who are working on their first title. The two guys are both European (Portuguese and Dutch) and have both worked under Ueda at Team Ico for the past decade (or close to). 

I'd fucking love to hear what's been going on and what the final nail in the coffin was that got them to say "Fuck this noise".
  • It might just be something as simple as wanting to get something out there. It must be frustrating working on shit for years that never comes out.
  • Perhaps, but whatever it is, it might be a while before we know. For some reason, maybe to do with the way games are covered over there (don't know how many serious industry analysis mags and blogs they have, sure Brooks would know), maybe to do with the work/employment culture, I've noticed that you're far less likely to see a "what went wrong" style game development postmortem from a Japanese studio - everything seems to stay quite hush, hush. 

When it comes to western devs, though, the stories of Colonial Marines, Duke Nukem Forever, and 38 studios are all stories where details have come out quite quickly after the event. Obviously there are exceptions, but i'd be surprised if, after TLG ships, the whole story comes flooding out.
  • I'd like to think Uedaware was sufficiently idiosyncratic to be resistant to expectation-creep and wouldn't need to be re-tooled to mesh with 2014's audiences in a way that both keeps the banks and the punters happy, but I'd also like to be able to levitate.
  • I'm going to make threads for Oddworld Squeeks Oddysee, Prey 2, Half Life 3, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Metronome, Robotech Crystal Dreams, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Metroid Dread and Final Fantasy VII Remake.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Versus XIII is now officially XV now, no?
  • Indeed it is, but that wont come out either.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Live that dream.

I'm also hoping the original plan for the game isn't something that'll look out of date just because a decade has ticked over. Ico would be fine as a new release today apart from the awful, awful, camera.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I dint think we can read too much into Ueda and key staff being elsewhere, by all accounts they actually finished the game, albeit with some ridicu-bug. It's gone to redundant parts of Team Japan to be fixed. I'd love to day that their import might not be missed, but having worked in an asshole (hahaha, I meant agile, but that fits too) environment, I've seen how easily new shot can be introduced and things drift away from fsd without strong leads
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    There are people who still think this game will one day come out?  lol
    Get schwifty.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Fucking hell guyz, got all dressed up in hype suit for nuthin.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • They probably couldn't get it running at a decent framerate on PS3, so are retooling the whole damn thing for PS4.
    Late 2015, maybe 2016 I reckon.
    In years to come the post mortem will probably be a "Development Hell" casebook.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Fucking hell guyz, got all dressed up in hype suit for nuthin.

Tambo.gif
  • Brooks wrote:
    This kind of dev limbo only seems to work out for the wee private studios though, if that. Could well be a case of both too many cooks and suits but none with a fucking directorial clue, this one.

Well, Polyphony took over 5 years with Gran Turismo 5. I know a racing game is somewhat different, but GT5 was pretty good.
  • Call me crazy, but I do actually see this game coming out, and I do think it will be spellbinding

My thoughts too.  I don't care when it comes out as long as it's worth the wait.  The longer it stays in development hell the cheaper the console I'll have to buy to play it will become.

When we do see it again, I predict that the internet won't like the redesigned luckdragon/dog hybrid as much as the old one.
  • I STILL BELIEVE.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I hear you bi g.man
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You really shouldn't have added that space.
  • quite.
    Come with g if you want to live...
‹ Previous1234567127

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!