Fancy a pint?
‹ Previous1234
  • I like pubs. 

I've been to hundreds if not thousands of pubs and bars in the world. Drinking establishments can be great. My favourite pub is a smallish locals pub in Portsmouth called the Eldon Arms 

4703_EldonBlog.jpg

Its got bags of character including the inside entertainment which includes

Southsea+-+Bar+Billiards+250312+The+Eldon+Arms+(3).JPG

Serves great ales and a cracking set of lagers. Although since I was living there they've removed Stella. They also used to have a loyalty card where you bought 5 and got 1 free - epic. 

No young people ever went there, just old timers, but not piss heads. Place shuts from 3-6 every day. 

Where do you like? What makes a good venue for you? Got a favourite bar or pub?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Ah Great topic!

this is my favourite pub

p158270436-3.jpg

It serves the best Guiness on the Isle of Man.

Real fire on one side. Pool table and jukebox on the other. Beer garden has view over the harbour. Can't go wrong really. Doesn't serve food so there's no numpties getting in the way of the proper drinking.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ardara in Donegal is host to this place. The Guinness, even for the South of Ireland which is uniformly good, is stunning. They serve food but there are no chips to be had. Sea-food chowder with wheaten bread is my favourite washed down with their black milk.

Live music too. It used to be more homely - it was literally just a house with a bar built in the living-room - but it has been gradually changed to be more pub-like as the years have gone by. Bit of a pity but still a great spot.

1154682_9536bd97.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That is a good topic.  

I have 2 new locals in my new place.  Will take some photos, might pop to one today.
  • Does Guiness actually vary from one place to another? Why would it?
  • Every pint varies from pub to pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Maypole Bar, Holywood, Co. Down. aka Ned's  This is as close to a local as I have (it is a few miles away from me).

No music, no TV ,no food. Drink and conversation. On occasions the TV is switched on for certain rugby matches or horse races. That's it.

Spectacular Guinness, particularly for the North of Ireland. Features table service. You only have to place your order once - after which a raised finger or eyebrow will suffice. Superb place.

Ned's keeps its kegs in a small quad in the centre of building and the kegs probably only get hit by any sun rays for a few minutes each day , if that. They are about 20feet from the taps. On a busy night the junior staff simply pour pints and have no interaction with customers to keep up with demand.

I can remember the old till they had up until the 90s - it was the old mechanical type and the most you could ring in at one time was £5.

Maypole_Bar,_Holywood_-_geograph.org.uk_-_669172.jpg

68a202_1693992964902ddafb24976a85dc156b.jpg_srz_502_344_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Does Guiness actually vary from one place to another? Why would it?

Guinness outside Ireland, unless specially imported is treated to last longer - some sort of pasteurisation I'm led to believe. It isn't as processed in Ireland and tastes fresher. The head in Ireland is different too - it requires two stages to fill a pint and if conditions are right it will hold a match upright right to the bottom.

The length of pipe to the keg makes a difference - shorter runs are better, and the storage temperature. A pub I frequented once offered Guinness from the cold store, under the counter or a mix - it did make a difference. Cold Flow is vile. There is a pub in Killarney that throws out its stock after a lightening storm - claims of atmospheric pressure and its effect - but that could be hokum.

It varies a great deal from pub to pub. It took a serious dive in the North of Ireland about 20 years ago (at that time I moved to drinking it from a bottle) but it's pretty good now if the pub is well run. I have rarely enjoyed a pint outside Ireland. Had a few good ones in Cricklewood while in London and I think I remember a decent pint in Liverpool too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What I do miss about English pubs are the pub games. Darts, bar billiards , skittles etc. I thought it was a marvellous thing to have in a pub. Not many pubs in Ireland go in for that. There are a few but they are relatively rare.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Rotterdam Bar , Belfast. Sadly now gone.

Live music with a back bar if you just wanted to drink. It had an array of bottles on the top shelf with no labels comprising of over strength rums etc. Great beer, great atmosphere. Sadly bulldozed due to progress. This was right down on the quay-side. The pic shows it in its last days...

The_Rotterdam_Bar,_Belfast_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1308442.jpg

Mural,_Sailortown,_Belfast_(1)_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1308523.jpg

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Duke of York, Belfast.

Far too popular now but if it keeps it going I suppose it has to be be that way. Large whisky/whiskey selection. Splendid beer. Live music in the back bar and upstairs.

belfast+duke+of+york.jpg

dukeofyork_02.jpg
  • davyK wrote:
    Does Guiness actually vary from one place to another? Why would it?
    Guinness outside Ireland, unless specially imported is treated to last longer - some sort of pasteurisation I'm led to believe. It isn't as processed in Ireland and tastes fresher. The head in Ireland is different too - it requires two stages to fill a pint and if conditions are right it will hold a match upright right to the bottom. The length of pipe to the keg makes a difference - shorter runs are better, and the storage temperature. A pub I frequented once offered Guinness from the cold store, under the counter or a mix - it did make a difference. Cold Flow is vile. There is a pub in Killarney that throws out its stock after a lightening storm - claims of atmospheric pressure and its effect - but that could be hokum. It varies a great deal from pub to pub. It took a serious dive in the North of Ireland about 20 years ago (at that time I moved to drinking it from a bottle) but it's pretty good now if the pub is well run. I have rarely enjoyed a pint outside Ireland. Had a few good ones in Cricklewood while in London and I think I remember a decent pint in Liverpool too.

The biggest difference stems from the water used to make it. You know how hard and soft water tastes different? Well, subtle changes in the PH and treatment of the water effects how beers taste. 

Loving the pubs mentioned so far. I also like pubs which have no music, tv just chatter. I kinda miss the misty smoke from cigarettes too even though i've never been a smoker.  

There are some nice bars i've been to as well which i'll post over the weekend.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Cor, top thread. Full of win.
  • All the Guinness you get in the UK and Ireland comes from Dublin now, all brewery conditioned. How well it's kept and how quickly it's sold should be the only real difference.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No photos - Thompson's Restaurant in Belfast was one of the best bars I have ever been in. There was a restaurant in the back and the chef would make you whatever you wanted. The bar was excellent and well stocked and seemed to be a magnet for some real characters and the odd local artiste. On one wall was an enormous photo of Oliver Reid with his arm around the barman.
  • Never have the first pint of the day!
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ned's Bar in Holywood pull a few pints through at the start of the day to ensure you aren't drinking what lay in the pipes all night.

ALl pubs should do that of course but I doubt they do.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    What I do miss about English pubs are the pub games. Darts, bar billiards , skittles etc. I thought it was a marvellous thing to have in a pub. Not many pubs in Ireland go in for that. There are a few but they are relatively rare.

Giant Jenga is always a winner.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    All the Guinness you get in the UK and Ireland comes from Dublin now, all brewery conditioned. How well it's kept and how quickly it's sold should be the only real difference.

How come it has no proper head and tastes like shit in England then?
  • People down south don't like a head on their beer apparently, they don't put a sparkler on their cask stuff either. That might be the reason for the head. Exactly the same beer though. Very few places will be selling it constantly though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Guinness is all down to how well the pipes are maintained and how well it's pulled. There are a lot of myths around it. It's often shit here because nobody knows how to pull it, either all head or no head at all.
  • I can only do this for Tokey, unhelpfully.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'd be interested in seeing drinking in Tokyo.
  • But with that caveat:

The Aldgate, Goodbeer Faucets, Popeye, Ushitora, Craftheads, Devilcraft, The Griffon, Baird Taprooms. All sound establishments. Adequate atmosphere, high tier beverages.
  • I agree with your fuckalarger attitude.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd imagine the Japanese, when they set their mind to it, can be top of the class at whatever.
  • I can definitely imagine that. And the purity of the water they can get.
  • You get the global second best of everything in this town that isn't actually indigenous. Zero arseholes too, which is nice.
  • Oh yeah, Brimmer are also sound.
  • Jesus I really do drink too much these days.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!