Stocks and Shares (updated)
‹ Previous12345678
  • I'm thinking about starting a B&B share group. Just throwing it out there to see if there's any interest (boom,boom) at all. 

It'll be a collective affair and will initially require some trust on your part. It's mainly a bit of fun that should hopefully reap some rewards over time. We'll need to establish some rules and stuff but if I get enough aye's I'll start sorting it out. The aim is to use our collective wisdom to our collective advantage. We'll need at least £500 to get it going so I reckon ten aye's at £50 each. If there's major interest the pot will grow. I think it might be a good learning experience for all. 

PM if interested. If I get 9 (plus me) we can start to debate THE PLAN. I personally think we should put 50% in a low cost FTSE tracker and be a bit more daring with the other half, and given the nature of the forum that might be tech related.

Update:

Right, looks like this thing is going to happen so here's some useful links;

Investment Calculator - Play around with this!. Typical tracker pays around 10-11%, and if you invest £100 a month for 30 years or so you might be pleasantly surprised. Try the lump sum one too. This is at the very heart of what any long term investment is about - the snowball effect of compound interest. You'll quickly see that investing more now will reap big later on.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/stocks-shares-isas - Read plz. The growth of low cost platforms is what makes self investing suddenly very attractive (and rubbish interest rates). 

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/index.html - Useful general financial stuff.

http://www.investopedia.com/ - All sorts of stuff in here, tutorials, videos, definitions etc. Don't go too deep, the whole idea behind this endeavour is to learn as we go.

Don't be put off by financial jargon. We'll be looking to invest long term, and common sense alone will get you far.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, I have zero knowledge of stocks or trading outside of what I've seen in films or docos.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Can we fiddle it by putting a bullet into the right person, GTA style?
  • Kow wrote:
    Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, I have zero knowledge of stocks or trading outside of what I've seen in films or docos.

Well that's rather the point. It's going to be a learning exercise for all. Things will be put to collective vote and explanations will be needed. Research will be done by the group. It should make everyone involved think seriously about personal share ISA's and the like.
  • Kow wrote:
    That's about my level of knowledge, but I'd be interested. Learning experience and all that.

So I send you fifty quid, and I get paid five hundred when I get more people to sign up?
  • Kow wrote:
    Buy low, sell high.
  • You realise that £500 isn't enough right?  Although ETFs are low cost you'll still have to pay a commission to trade them.  A typical platform charges around £10 per trade which would mean that if you created a portfolio of 5 ETFs you would be 10% down before you even began.  And then you'd have to pay the charges again to get the money out when you wanted to crystalise any profits/losses.

If you want to earn get some experience investing then set up a dummy account on something like bullbearings.com...
  • Merge with gambling thread.
  • monkey wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Buy low, sell high.

In a nutshell. There's dividends to think about too, although for serious growth we're probably talking about an accumulation fund. This is where profits made go straight back into stock without taking a dividend

We'll need to go through a cheap platform to buy funds. We can also use the money to buy shares in individual companies (Facebook-VR?) and whatnot. We'll decide together.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Buy low, sell high.

Buy loads. Jump off high building.
  • Nexx wrote:
    You realise that £500 isn't enough right?  Although ETFs are low cost you'll still have to pay a commission to trade them.  A typical platform charges around £10 per trade which would mean that if you created a portfolio of 5 ETFs you would be 10% down before you even began.  And then you'd have to pay the charges again to get the money out when you wanted to crystalise any profits/losses. If you want to earn get some experience investing then set up a dummy account on something like bullbearings.com...

Nah, real money better and more fun. Total Cavendish charges are dirt cheap, and the FTSE tracker fund costs 0.07%.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Merge with gambling thread.

Well it certainly is a gamble, and if we lose everything we're only £50 worse off but a lot wiser. Actually, if we lose everything on the tracker fund that means society has imploded, which sounds bad.
  • Put it on bitcoins.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Put it on bitcoins.

It's been sliding for 3 years but it's an option. If everyone agrees the FTSE tracker will be the bedrock, and more risky deals will be the fun part.
  • I mean the rates of return have been so ludicrous it's still attractive even considering the last year or so of performance. Even a really brain-dead MACD following buy/sell pattern has been worthwhile.
  • Yeah, it does look enticing. Check this guy out, although those days are probably over for ever. A quick inspection looks promising, mind. Will put it to the board if this thing ever gets up and running.
  • Jesus, those bitcoins are volatile as fuck.
  • I know, it's completely hilarious. That's why I've been following the development since 2011.
  • I suppose the main danger is if it gets improved upon, migration could be pretty quick. Some fascinating reading there.
  • It got to max improvement when it incorporated doge.
  • Thing I think is funniest about it is that its core value is nothing to do with cheap transfers or anonymity so much as letting lowly spods into the mechanics of modern stockbrokering. It's videogames with real payoffs.
  • If you're going to do it, do it properly. No point fannying about with a tracker.

I'd suggest 5 stocks held, max, at any one time, re-balance no more than quarterly.
  • Oh wow. I was actually thinking of starting a thread to talk about stocks and shares. 

I've been investing in oil and gas for past couple of months.. Made a small amount of profit, but it's currently a bit of a bear market. So I'm moving into tech and minerals.

Some real money to be made out there.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We need a badger market amirite?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm a "mayber" btw
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    If someone wants to muck about with my money I'm more than happy to hand it over.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I vote Nexx makes us all rich.
  • Skerret wrote:
    If someone wants to muck about with my money I'm more than happy to hand it over.

It's not someone it's forumites. It's us. Workid says we shouldn't fanny about with a tracker but it's not really about maximising profits at maximum risk, it's about making people aware that even if they don't earn a significant wage they can still make a pretty decent pension. If the only thing this thread does is get people putting 5/10% a month into a stocks tracker then it'll change their retirement completely. 

The whole point about putting money into a tracker would be merely to show how you could forget about it for 20 years and still make serious wedge. And by serious I mean life-altering. Essentially, the point of this thread is to make sure nobody, not even Dante, dies poor.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm a "mayber" btw

£50. You'll learn lots.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Does my other countryness affect this?
‹ Previous12345678

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!