The General "E-Sports" Thread, or 'making a living from being dead good at games'.
‹ Previous123456716
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Seems like the kind of thing we should have.

In case we don't here's a news story to get us started, about US college students getting "e-sports" fellowships. A bit like getting help towards your tuition if you're super good at sportsball, but with less sweating and more l33t speak.
    “We really want e-sports to become as ingrained in the academic environment as anything else — speech competitions, football competitions,” said Tyler Rosen, president of the e-Sports Association, which helps organize college events with the financial support of Blizzard Entertainment.
    A test of what happens when schools embrace e-sports started recently at Robert Morris University Illinois. The first 35 students to receive athletic scholarships under the school’s new e-sports program began training this fall in a room decked out with jet-black walls, mood lighting and leather gamer chairs with red piping.

The students, all League of Legends players, are getting up to 50 percent of the price of tuition and room and board, which runs about $39,000 a year, according to Kurt Melcher, the university’s associate athletic director. Mr. Melcher said he had received more than half a dozen calls from athletic directors at other universities who are interested in incorporating e-sports into their programs.
    The idea came to Mr. Melcher, a gamer, this year after he started reading about the Collegiate StarLeague. A conversation with his wife dispelled any doubts he had about awarding athletic scholarships to gamers.
    Mr. Melcher said his wife asked, “Why should it only be given to some kid who can put a ball into a hole?”

Are you ready for inter-college CoD rivalries? E-sports "rookie of the year" awards? Mascots? Virtual cheerleaders? College E-Sports The Video Game of the Video Game?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I watch EVO every year, that's as much of a fuck as I give for about this shit.

And as a spectator no videogame competition is usually as fun to watch as actual sport. Which I don't really watch either.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good support from Brooks there.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I do think it's telling that the only real sport I really get into watching is US footy because it's colourful, soberingly dangerous and the players are all clad in armour though.
  • So basically if they could televise paintball combat well I'd watch that.
  • Who used to watch Robot Wars. Loved that dumb show a lot.
  • Rugby doesn't do it for you? Nit trying to start a rugby vs yankball slag-off - they're both hardcore, legit sports - just that rugby also has danger, plus an extra dash of homoeroticism and grown men crying to national anthems.
  • Robot wars was great. I prefered the early years, though, before people started focussing on most-likely-to-win designs and just tried to put powertools on a pile of scrap with wheels.
  • Rugby doesn't do it for you? Nit trying to start a rugby vs yankball slag-off - they're both hardcore, legit sports - just that rugby also has danger, plus an extra dash of homoeroticism and grown men crying to national anthems.

Not enough pauldrons and helms. The pageantry is crucial.
  • Yeah with RW it became obvious immediately that pneumatic hyperflip wedges were the soundest strat and that kind of sealed it.
  • Chaos_2_team.jpg

George Francis - The Rillest G.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Rugby doesn't do it for you? Nit trying to start a rugby vs yankball slag-off - they're both hardcore, legit sports - just that rugby also has danger, plus an extra dash of homoeroticism and grown men crying to national anthems.
    Not enough pauldrons and helms. The pageantry is crucial.
    That'd be the clincher for no AFL then, which is a bit of both plus aerial skills and 360 degree unchained lunacy.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Fucking Hypnodisc though, that thing was joyous.
  • I'm on the bus so can't really check, but I remember one called Razer (or was it Razor?) that was an absolute beast - it avoided the wedge in place of a crushing talon at the front. Only reason it didn't go on to dominate was it was a bit too mechanically fiddly for its own good and kept having failures. But...when it worked, most dangerous RW machine besides Sir Killalot.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Did anyone ever put recovery features on their bot? Self-standing mechanisms.
  • Oh that became standard pretty early, a secondary function of a flipping mechanism even. Some re-rights were positively gymnastic.

The alternative was to go for an unflippable shape - rollcages, conical construction etc.
  • Of course the most usual defeat a machine would suffer was just ceasing to work at all through being under-engineered internally, some component coming loose after a bump, or moving, or something breathing on it. Good times.
  • That sadly was pretty much every Hypnodisc defeat.
  • Re op article, given that the NCAA is corrupt and that the athletes should be getting paid, it seems weird for esports to want in, in a way.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Robot Wars > esports.
  • it was only a matter of time as winning pots are growing. How to pick games to be able to compete in though? 

Can I get a scholarship for playing marioakart on the snes? :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Razor was boss. The engineering on that talon was brilliant.
  • Swirl, this title annoys me.  You now know we don't have an e-sports thread, so can you change the title to just "E-sports" or something?

Also:

220px-Hypno_disc_270.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Or, even better, change it to Robot Wars.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Pauldrons and helms? Is it jousting you're looking for Mr B?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • That would also be cool.
  • read the wiki - its not really as good as I remembered
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Robot Wars was very entertaining.

I had a rant about e-sports over at the harddrop Tetris site. Bear in mind this was about Tetris...

http://harddrop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5938

davyK wrote:
    Watching elite players is too intimidating and hard to follow. It is great to know that a game is deep enough for people to become that good, and that would be an attractive quality of a game for many people, but it also needs to be attractive to novices, or even intermediate level players. 

For example my best 40 line time is just under 2 mins. For many people here that wouldn't even rate me as intermediate. How can I get involved in competitive Tetris and have an enjoyable time? Quite often when I went online with Tetris Party I would have my ass handed to me even with the rating system enabled. That isn't enjoyable for me and I imagine quite boring for my superior opponent! If there were ways of grading players with methods of moving up the divisions then maybe more people would be attracted.

Many people consider Tetris as a solo game and don't even know about battle mode. I have organised some events in work and people were amazed such a mode existed. I work in IT and you would think more people would know about this - so imagine how little is known about it in other walks of life.

Selecting the mode is important too. I first tried traditional Game A battle in my competitions and this was a bit boring to watch because most people play too slowly. I quickly switched to Game B - first to 25 lines with garbage attacks on (this mode is available in Tetris & Dr. Mario on SNES) and the game was transformed by the race element. It got people playing and after a whiile some started playing Game A informally.

Tetris could be a great game for spectators as everything can be seen and understood from a single screen view. Even elite level play can be enjoyed up to a point. My office competitions have been achieved by hooking a SNES up to a projector for big screen play and it really makes for entertaining experiences for players and spectators. Opportunities for local and online gaming need to exist.

Finally it needs the right mix of promotion , marketing and organisation. The support of the Tetris Company would be key in doing this and that would be supplemented by the energy of the tetris community.

davyK wrote:
    Thinking about the spectator's view a bit more - they could perhaps see a longer piece preview queue as well which would offer a similar experience like watching poker.

Items are a good idea - the selection of them would need to be carefully chosen so it wouldn't be too easy to figure out an optimal set.
    davyK wrote:
    Elite players not wanting items or other rule changes is a valid position. However if the community is to grow and become acessible for all then changes would need to be made. There would be room for an elite division playing what they consider to be pure (though any rules set is arbitrary - lets face it) but to keep the whole thing encumbered by that would sadly see it never become truly relevant.

The community should want more people playing puzzle games - lest we see what happend to Cave in the shmup community.

The previous post has some great ideas about slowed down replays between rounds - you would need pretty well informed commentators though - but I guess that isn't impossible to achieve.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Repost from the YouTube thread, but I loved this low-tech, crappy robot wars Japancraft style:

• Dildobox was sorely missing from the UK show.

It's time for a new Robot Wars, anyway.
‹ Previous123456716

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!