Celebrating the semi-arbitrary demarkation of time
‹ Previous12
  • Don't get me wrong, I understand why a year is 365 days long. I can appreciate that it makes sense to celebrate certain events on their anniversary, or to set aside a specific day annually to celebrate certain ideas or intangible institutions.

Given, however, that the allocation of 1 January on 1 January is, to the best of my knowledge, entirely arbitrary, I do not understand the celebration of it in and of itself. (It would make more sense to me for 1 January to be on 22 or 23 December, or to coincide with any of the solstices or equinoxes, or even to fall exactly half way between any of them.) Sure, a year is a handy marker to assist the mental compartmentalisation of events, but it is rare for anything to naturally last no more or less than 365 days and coincide exactly with the beginning and end of our calendar. It's an anniversary of anniversaries, the inception gif of time.

Last year, for the first time in my memory, my town had an event to celebrate Hogmanay and the New Year. The Gig at the Brig, it's called. My folks went. This year, they've got me a ticket to go with them. I can think of a few less attractive prospects, sure, but in all honesty I'd rather stay in. Looking back, my favourite Hogmanays have been the quiet ones either spent alone, or with as few people as possible and not really acknowledging the main event, or working. I brought in 2014 sitting in a bath reading a book, because I had work in the morning.

Do you like New Year? Do you celebrate it the same way each year? What are your plans this year? Am I alone in my failure to comprehend the significance or feel elated by its arrival?
  • I don't celebrate or care about the New Year (according to the Gregorian calendar). Arbitrary indeed and it means nothing. However, it does mark a beginning of sorts to another period of time where you can reflect and make changes etc. Although I would suggest that one's own birthday (anniversary) is a better point of reflection.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I usually put any kind of wintertime celebratory impulse down to it being shitty cold out and people wanting a reminder that others still tolerate their company.
  • After Christmas I'm usually just ready to get going again, so New Year's seems an unnecessary obstacle for the most part.

We don't make much of it. A big dinner, perhaps.
  • I don't like to celebrate New Years. It means bugger all to me. It's usually me being dragged to a shitty club or bar where I have to pay to get in, queue for ages at the bar, pay over the top prices then stand around unable to talk to anyone because the shitty music is too loud.

Goddamn societies pressure to be "social"
    Grumble grumble
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!11
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I don't like new year's, possibly partly because I don't drink, which means I spend the night being surrounded by drunker and drunker people as I stay sober and boring. And partly because my job means I finish work at 6pm on the 31st and am back in at 9am on the 1st, so staying up all night means a hellish day the next day.
  • Same here. I don't drink very often and when i do I just end up feeling tired and a bit sick. So come 11ish I'm ready for bed and grumpy if I can't get there.

Or I stay sober in which case everyone around me is a drunken moron
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Not having New Year and Christmas on the same day is part of the fiction I suppose, keeps the holiday going as well.

It's definitely the young persons drinking bit of it all. Was great when I was young, wandering round parties with a carry out, city Square, late nights in the pub. Somewhere between unappealing and war crime now.
  • I_R wrote:
    Somewhere between unappealing and war crime now.

Hahahahaha.

preach on

g.man

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Outlaw wrote:

This is brilliant.
  • Fucking hell Andy, we need a group cuddle or something because that almost made me cry for you.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah, NYE is shit, always has been. Remember being bored shitless and tired as a child when we went to family house parties. Rotten stuff.

When I (almost) came of age and spent them on the town they didn't get any better. Now we're lucky if we make it to midnight before turning in, it's such a pointless night to me. I think the best one I've ever had was the one I worked as a glass collector in the Quilted Camel in '98, it was fucking bedlam.
  • Not fussed about New Year. Usually asleep by midnight.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Normally don't give a shit but I'm quite looking forward to this year's because then it won't be fucking 2014 any more.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Normally don't give a shit but I'm quite looking forward to this year's because then it won't be fucking 2014 any more.

I know a lot of people feeling the same ERE.
  • Not fussed about new years too much. If something is going on I will show my face, if not it is Jools Holland and whinging about what twat he has on this year.
  • I fucking love drinking, partying and being a general nuisance, so naturally, I love new year. Quiet one this year though, seeing it in with my wife and baby at home, since it's her first.
    PSN: Its_DanDan_Ey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have always found New Years Eve to be an awful night out. Overpriced entrance fees, too many people let into venues, and a nightmare getting a taxi home.

NYE 1990 was good (was 24 then) - remember that one - it was the only one in a pub I ever enjoyed. All others I have enjoyed have been at a house party.

We have hosted a NYE party now for about 7-8 years. It started off as an impromptu gathering and has since become a regular fixture. Wifey does some food and I do a few cocktails and it tends to go on quite late. We would have maybe 30 people over made up of family and friends over a wide range of ages. We have a larger than average sized house (it's no mansion though) so it doesn't feel crowded (we have had over 50 people at other events). We have a marquee that can use used too wind conditions permitting. We always toast the new year with some bubbly and it's usually an enjoyable night.

We have started to get a wee bit fed with up it though. Feel like we are going through the motions this year - so we might consider giving it a rest next year. 

A good friend hosted the millennium party and it was a similar thing - mixed age crowds usually make for good parties.

At the end of the day it's who you are with that matters - applicable for any celebration really.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I love new year. Don't go out though, that sounds fucking awful.
  • I love new year.
    This requires a fuller response.
  • Agreed.

I hate New Year, nights out are awful and staying in always makes me miserable.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Agreed. I hate New Year, nights out are awful and staying in always makes me miserable.

Ok that's just being picky.
  • I like staying in if I'm not single unless I'm seeing someone I hate.
  • Happy New Year then folks. I'm done with mine and off to bed.
  • I bloody hate this stupid poxy fucking excuse for an extended holiday.
  • I'm celebrating on Destiny. Best NYE ever.
  • That's how you do it
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Watching Safety Not Guaranteed with the wife and a laphroaig.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!