The B&B Musicians/Producers/DJs Thread
  • The reverb appeared to syncopate the synth line thingy which was rad
  • Nothing to see.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Final band practice finished for first gig in about 8 years.

Monday's gonna be nervy
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
  • Free Arturia Mini Moog on June 21st for one day only
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Boredom + beer = Horseshit. For headphones probably. I decided it needed Transvision Vamp in the middle.
  • Really quite liking the free Arturia MiniMoog softsynth, frickin epic basses! Certainly a cut above the other free synths I have.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Music recognition hasn't really taken off online, has it? If only Audacity could export waveform data to offer up to a free online recog service...
  • Was it inevitable that I'd start with Gibson guitars, decide I want them to sound higher def like Fenders, and wind up installing Gretsch pickups to get there? Probably.

Srsly though, I'm impressed with these TV Jones brand things (am playing around with a Magnatron). They seem to put pretty much every model they do in a variety of industrially recognised shapes, and they have the crispness the P90s were just shy of.
  • Boring questions relating to guitars and stuff -

Finding myself at a bit of a brick wall at the moment, especially after taking up Piano. I simply don't know where to go next with my learning. I'm assuming scales and stuff, but I like more practical things. Can anyone suggest something, methods or songs or books or online tutorials and stuff to help me get back on track?

Also, when mucking around with a friends pedal board has lead me to believe that I really need some more stuff. Currently I only have a Overdrive/Distro Pedal and a Delay pedal with a loop/overdub setting (which i'm not so great at timing the loops with). I don't really know what I want exactly, something that kicks out a lot of fuzz really, maybe some a decent echo unit? Any recommendations? I know Kow will tell me to do it all via PC and I probably should, but I'd like the real physical things too.

Also: Power supplies for the fuckers, they eat 9v batteries, where is cheap & good.

Ta in advance.
  • My new Blackface clone thing (which owns) has an FX loop in it, which I could probably hook up to virtual pedal rigs somehow but I've yet to do so. Am mostly content with the ol' treble booster and an ISP noise gate, if that.

Emulation is best initial option though if you're not sure what toys you actually need - fuck around, make a couple decisions and then hunt down the best bits of corresponding hardware.
  • Am enjoying running the amp through a hi-fi speaker, actually. We don't really hear leccy gittarz at such frequency range on record, and there's novel things to be had in that space.
  • Yeah, that is the sensible thing to do I guess. I had a decent Guitar > PC bo thing bookmarked somewhere which I guess I'll actually get this pay day as opposed to talking about getting it.
  • There's really nothing more useful than learning scales. Electric guitar players more than any other musician I think, because of punk credibility at one extreme and horrible Satriani/Vai/Malmsteen shittery at the other engenders the notion that the less you know the better and it's an excuse I fell back on for years.

But scales (and how to form chords from them) are the language of an instrument and instinctively knowing where the notes are means those tiny but significant psychological steps of wondering where to go next musically and where the hell the notes/chords are physically are skipped, and it all becomes so much more natural. Just because you know how to play like a twat doesn't mean you will; you'll be better placed to avoid it, in fact, and also less likely to get stuck in a rut which inevitably leads to becoming bored with playing altogether.

So my advice, which is basically the complete opposite of what you asked for, is to get a book of scales and learn one a day, along with the previous days' from memory as part of a warm-up routine. It's boring now but worth it in the long run.
  • Are there any particularly comprehensive books on the matter?

When I was learning with a teacher I got to the point where we were learning the pentatonic scale and something was finally starting to click, then I moved home and ended up to far away to carry on.

I've never fallen back on the 'you don't need to know anything' philosophy, in fact it infuriates me because so many people witter on about having "just picked up a guitar and started playing" which I generally imagine equates to "mummy and daddy spent hundreds on guitar lessons for me for 5 or years" but I've just reached a point where I play what I know and that is feeling rather limited now.

So yeah, scales it is then I guess.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    When I was a kid I had a book that took little parts of solos and riffs and explained them with notation and a cassette. I learned so much technique like hammers and pulls and trills and bends that they just became a basic part of anything I played
  • A quick google search reveals Fretboard Theory by Desi Serna as being a bit of a bible, I'm sure my teacher used that.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I'm toying with the idea of getting a Maschine Workstation (or Mikro).

Anyone have any experience with them? Is it worth paying the extra £100 for the Workstation over the Mikro?
  • Brilliant. Just what I needed.
  • I need the Right speaker and cab at the moment. Isn't making itself obvious.
  • These folk are big on treating the cab as part of the instrument.

Tempy wrote:
    Brilliant. Just what I needed.

Be sure to couple it with this if you don't have a real one.
  • I have one on my phone, should probably buy a real one.
  • Ah a musicians thread. Hazzar!

Currently recording a demo with a new band i'm in so will post the results once done and mastered.
  • I envy folk in bands. Maybe one day.

Anyway, for folk such as @curiousmachine do you have any recommendations for iPad music making apps? I imagine Garage Band is indespensible at £3 but a browse on Music Radar suggests that you can get a software version of Korg's Electribe, i've always wanted to play with one and unless I get a lottery win in the near future this is the closest I think I'll get. Worth it?
  • Have you used a hardware one?
  • Nope, I was looking for one on eBay once upon a time but college/uni has put paid to aspirations of owning that kind of kit.
  • One of my mates who made techno used to have a Korg's Electribe I think. Its that blue one with no keys right? Just buttons? They are pretty damn tasty but i don't like synths with no keys for some reason.
  • Then go for it - if you'd actually had a go on the real deal you might miss its real dealness.

Had one for a bit a few years ago myself. Enjoyed abusing the compressor and it's plenty rugged but honestly the real boon of it was its self-containedness and that doesn't actually disappear if you go for an emulated one, funnily enough.
  • One of my mates who made techno used to have a Korg's Electribe I think. Its that blue one with no keys right? Just buttons? They are pretty damn tasty but i don't like synths with no keys for some reason.

That's the one, yeah. I saw a great demo on youtube that made me fall in love with one.

@Brooks: good stuff, I thought that would be the thing. Building a shopping list for all these apps that I want, need to learn how to actually use the damn things too. I have Bleepbox on my iPhone but I'll be damned if I actually understand how to build a song, yet its demo functions suggest it can produce full fat floor filla

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!