Work - The pros and the cons...
  • The beef with Dubai I have is that all the people who work in retail are paid fuck all. To the point where they are housed in terrible conditions outside of the city where the nice areas are. They get free transport put on by the companies (because otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford it) which is basically arum down mini bus. It leaves early so thy arrive 30 mins early. And leaves 30 minutes late. If you aren't on the bus home then you are paying a considerable amount of your wage to get home (as try earn fuck all). It gives them not enough time either side to do anything so they end up working an extra hour.

The thing isnthat most of them are illegal immigrants so can't complain but it's an overlooked pratice.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I don't mind paying people to do stuff. I do mind when you treat them as second class citizens despite the fact you're living as a foreigner in their city
  • I gather the rule in the UAE is that, for health and safety reasons, if the temperature rises to 50° and above, construction work has to stop.  For weeks and weeks through the summer the official temperature in Dubai is 49° every single day.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I don't mind paying people to do stuff. I do mind when you treat them as second class citizens despite the fact you're living as a foreigner in their city

With regards to the UAE the people whose 'city' it is actually live a great life. There are some expats here who treat the sub-continental expats badly but these are few and far between.

It is all relative though. Whilst some get paid AED1,000 a month (£150) that is still a considerable amount to them and they will live like kings in their village once they return home. What I get paid I am sure the average Emarati would consider a normal wage whereas in the UK I would be in the top 2% of earners. 

As regards H&S workers outside during the summer now get a 3 hour break in the hottest part of the day. This is strictly enforced and every day you can see the workers down tools and sit around under the trees trying to keep cool. 

All in all it is a surprisingly good place to work and the Daily Mail scare stories can for the most part be dismissed.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Don't your hands get cut off every other week though?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Don't get me wrong fossil. It's still one of mtg favourite places to go and everytime I go there it's completely changed. Place is mental. It's tax free for you right? My friends a doctor and has been asked to go and work out there. I pretty much advised her not to though on the grounds she's a woman and woulnt like the whole hotel going out vibe.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • What does proactive mean?
  • I think you know what is means already gazelle.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I don't know what it means because nobody answers the question. When I asked my old boss what it meant he told me to fuck off.
  • It means taking the initiative, getting involved etc.
  • Is it the same as not being lazy then?
  • No, it means going out of your way to fix things. To fix things without being asked, to look for problems and attempt to resolve them before they happen.

What you're describing is quite passive ("not being lazy").
  • Executive: We at the network want a dog with attitude. He's edgy, he's in your face. You've heard the expression "let's get busy"? Well, this is a dog who gets biz-zay! Consistently and thoroughly.

Krusty the Clown: So he's proactive, huh?

Executive: Oh, God, yes. We're talking about a totally outrageous paradigm.

Meyers: Excuse me, but proactive and paradigm? Aren't these just buzzwords that dumb people use to sound important? Not that I'm accusing you of anything like that. I'm fired, aren't I?

Executive: Oh, yes.

("The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show." The Simpsons, 1997)
  • It means not waiting for something to happen, but getting ahead of it. E.G you have a product that you notice has developed a fault, as 5 of the 10 people you sold it too has come back to you. Instead of waiting for that other 5 to call you, you call them. It means they feel you are on top of the situation and come away with a positive attitude whereas they could've had a very negative reaction if you waiting for it to all go wrong.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I don't know what it means because nobody answers the question. When I asked my old boss what it meant he told me to fuck off.

fuck off.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
    Wait... you genuinely didn't know what proactive meant? You're lucky he didn't fire you on principle. I would have. Then I'd have set you on fire, punched you in the stomach, and thrown you off a bridge.
  • I would have. this verbal, written, final warning nonsense is what's wrecking the economy.
  • What's wrecking the economy, is middle-managers doing nothing but walking around shouting words like proactive at people. Pricks.
  • I'm pretty sure idiots don't ruin the economy. They're just idiots. The economy is ruined by very smart and very greedy people.

Proactive isn't a pointless buzzword. Why are you so angry with it?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    That's not very proactive Gazelle.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • I'm not angry, I just don't get it. Also, those people you're talking about aren't that smart. They are greedy though.
  • But they are fucking rich.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    And you know how they got rich?  By being utter cu-I mean PROACTIVE, very proactive.
  • Monkey, in that episode when they say 'spokes-rebels' it absolutely kills me for some reason.
  • That could be a different one actually, when they install the fucked up vending machines.
  • Also, those people you're talking about aren't that smart. They are greedy though.
    I'm sure some are very smart. Others are just lucky, but I dare say a number of people are very much "on it" when it comes to protecting their own interests and making more dollarpounds.

It takes a certain kind of intelligence to bullshit your way to the top, that's for sure.
  • I used to get promoted about once a month. It was awful.
  • Mopper to fryer to counter...

Proactive is a word that's been around long enough that it's no longer gibberish management speak but has a recognised meaning.  If you don't know what it means, that's your failing and you should be demoted back to rubbishtakerouter.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!