Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If this game gets praised for its bosses I'm back in.  Haven't played one properly since 2.

Play 3 you massively wrong person. That was praised for its bosses.
  • My fav boss of all time is in 3.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Last boss in 3 and even the boss and chase leading up to it, one of the best video gaming sections ever ever ever. 

Not even an opinion.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • A mate and I did a speed run of this the other week, we skipped all cutscenes and tagged in/out after each boss.
    We managed it in 4 and 1/2 hours mostly because Rex kicked our sleep deprived asses at 3am
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I simply adore the first one. It's my favourite game of all time and the one I've played through more times than anything else. MGS3 comes a close second and yea, the last hour or so of 3 are simply sublime
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • What is 'this'? Number 1?

A mate of mine did it in something like 4 hours on his very first playthrough. But he is some leet gamer type anyway.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Boys boys boys. You're talking to a man who got a Big Boss rank back in the day.
  • Well lah de dah mr sneaky sneak man
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Extreme mode? More like... Treme* mode

Spoiler:
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Last boss in 3 and even the boss and chase leading up to it, one of the best video gaming sections ever ever ever.  Not even an opinion.

That chase section was a jaw to the floor moment. Bloody loved MGS3, far better than 2.
  • Tempy wrote:
    If this game gets praised for its bosses I'm back in.  Haven't played one properly since 2.

3 is the one where you have to eat animals to survive and it's really difficult and there's even more sneaking and camo stuff in it.  I read about it and decided to never ever play it.  I don't really like stealth in games, you see.  I was gung-ho in TLoU from start to finish, I hate sneaking around for ages after a checkpoint then dying, I prefer to die every 30 seconds due to dumb blasting and eventually muddle through.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

3 is the one where you have to eat animals to survive and it's really difficult and there's even more sneaking and camo stuff in it.  I read about it and decided to never ever play it.  I don't really like stealth in games, you see.  I was gung-ho in TLoU from start to finish, I hate sneaking around for ages after a checkpoint then dying, I prefer to die every 30 seconds due to dumb blasting and eventually muddle through.

You can play it like that too, even use the wildlife against the enemy's.
  • There's even a specific thing that when you unload with the Machine Gun, it's entirely possible to go gung ho
  • RAAAAAAARRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Top quality Boss fight track. Dat wind.

I don't agree with matthewmatosis that the soundtrack eventually appearing during the fight ruins the moment.
  • Fuck all this. I'm playing MGS3.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I'm not playing this shit, but I will watch James Howell's inevitable pro-tier commentary and play through series on Yertube.
  • MGS should be a fightman now, it has a suitably flamboyant roster of characters. They could use the CQC branding and all.
  • who the hell hates MGS4? the cutscenes are mental but the game itself is sublime. if you're running and shooting everyone i put it to you that you are playing on normal/easy. i recall back in the day Kojima stating that he wanted it to be playable by the casuals and hard cores.

also the only mgs game to not CQC me by the balls is peace walker. i absolutely hated the boss fights against those stupid giant tanks. they felt like they were designed to all be taken on co-op. loved portable ops though.

regmcfly wrote:
    It'll read your hard drive "I see you like... Destiny" "Collect 5000 rations to continue."

XD
  • Having started Ground Zeroes, I think I preferred the "press up to win" of earlier games.
  • MGS4 is definitely a grotesquely awful piece of entertainment in toto but there are moments of very cool game design within. It's a pity really, but Kojima is shit writer who won't stop writing.
  • It's utter ridiculousness is it's greatest strength.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It takes too long is the problem. Ridiculous needs to be pretty graceful to work, MGS4 is anything but. Anyway, this is an old argument. No one is changing their tune at this point.
  • The 3 hour long ending or however long it was, will always make me forever hate mgs4. Well, not hate, but not like it anyway. Shooting and some of the sneaking was good though.
  • yeah i understand 100%.

i've played 4 so many times now, i skip all the cutscenes. the 3/4 hours of gameplay around that is bloody superb. 

saying that, the motorcycle chase on Big boss mode can eat a fat one.

press triangle to LIQUIIIIIIIIIIIIID!
  • Still, at least his heart's in the rightish place:

tumblr_nj9wj6lDHD1r2umvdo1_500.png
    tumblr_nj9wj6lDHD1r2umvdo2_500.png
    tumblr_nj9wj6lDHD1r2umvdo3_500.png
    tumblr_nj9wj6lDHD1r2umvdo4_500.png
    tumblr_nj9wj6lDHD1r2umvdo5_500.png
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That is excellent. And jokes aside that is something I'd expect Kamiya to say as a mantra when he starts work in the morning.
  • Didn't he sat something vaguely along those lines when wanting to quit MGS? That he kept trying to push stuff but peor kept lapping it up and he hated it? Think it was in relation to 4.
  • @Brooks did you read the Ladies of Kojima thing in the Retro thread? By the same writer wot did that Metroid 2 thing you posted.
  • Months and months ago, Mike. Hence, "rightish".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!