CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Out this year on PS4 in the US, so at least we get to play an English language version soon-ish.

Enjoy the teaser:

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Blog post by Hashino on the P5 site.

"It's a message from Hashino and the dev team to fans. He talks about how Persona 5's main influences are School Juvenile fiction and Picaresque novels. Unlike previous Persona games where the players were clearly a team on the side of "good" going after a bad guy, this time they're trying for something a little different. The story is about high school students chasing after their own interpretation of "justice" after an unexpected incident. He hopes fans will enjoy the enhanced graphics and sound in the new entry as well as party members who might be a little more ill-mannered than before."
  • Christ, it looks so good! I love the shadow fightin' power rangers thing going on. That style is really nice and super vibrant too.

AHHHHH
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Blog post by Hashino on the P5 site. "It's a message from Hashino and the dev team to fans. He talks about how Persona 5's main influences are School Juvenile fiction and Picaresque novels. Unlike previous Persona games where the players were clearly a team on the side of "good" going after a bad guy, this time they're trying for something a little different. The story is about high school students chasing after their own interpretation of "justice" after an unexpected incident. He hopes fans will enjoy the enhanced graphics and sound in the new entry as well as party members who might be a little more ill-mannered than before."

Completely got the 'shonen-jump' influence the characters are trying to replicate, pretty smart.

Also, the idea that what the characters think they're accomplishing versus the wider picture of how it affects the world outside was hinted at in Persona Q really well, love that they're trying to go deeper on that stuff.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    What exactly is Persona Q? I've switched off to the spinoffs.
  • Saw the trailer, woot.

Dunno what to think yet, it looks...different. Light platforming and stealth? Anti-hero leads?

Graphically, looks very Catherine-ish, which is ni bad thing, imo. Interested to see more soon. Don't get me wrong, this is 100% a purchase from me - I'll probably pick it up with a PS3 or 4 as soon as it comes out.

Also, on a personal note - way back when the PS3 was just coming out I said I'd jump into that gen once one of two games was out - Persona 5 or whatever Team Ico was working on. Good to know one of them will finally see the light of day.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    What exactly is Persona Q? I've switched off to the spinoffs.

A mashup of 3, 4 and Etrian Odyssey dungeon-crawly thingy.
  • And it's actually Persona Q that makes me a little apprehensive about this. Well, not Q specifically. Q, and Arena, the movies, the animes and Dancing All Night. In the time between 3/4 and 5 the series has become a big thing. That's cool and all, because it means more games, yay, but it also means the series has become very fanservicey.

I hated the anime of 4 - it was so generic and flawed, everything got played for lols and certain sub-plots (basically, everything Kanji) got turned into shit-tier giggle fodder. LOL he's gay, we might get raped, LOL. It seemed a massive betrayal of what was.

I think there's 2 types of Persona fans out there. People like me who really dig the games in their own context, and the second group are people who might also spread out into anime and use words like waifu to describe their feelings for the characters. It feels like the series as a whole has drifted towards pleasing the latter group.

Now, that fan-service has mostly been consigned to the spin-offs and adaptations so maybe there is no need to worry too much, but some of that shit crept into P4G and so that worry sits in the corner of my mind. Will Persona main entries continue to walk their own path, or will there be more and more stuff included for the pleasure of wannabe Otakus?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    To be fair, I don't think the flat dungeon crawling from the previous titles was going to cut it any more. The inclusion of more dynamic gameplay is a pretty big plus in my mind. The way it looks like Catherine makes me think C was at heart them trying to get an engine going for a post PS2 Persona game then deciding they might as well use it to make some money as well.

PQ worth playing?

Also, simultaneous PS3/PS4 July 2015 release in both US and Japan. Nay a worry for us Euros as both console are region free.
  • Sounds suspiciously like you're trying to deny that Chie is best girl Cinty
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Is the Persona anime even written by the same peeps who do the games? I've just written them off as some shit they flog out to keep Atlus afloat who reportedly aren't in the best of states.

Catherine divided lots of Atlus fans but it kept me in confidence that the Atlus team still have a good head for themes, atmosphere and characterization.
  • Can't comment on PQ - don't own a 3DS.

And the gameplay does look interesting - I'm happy about that. Just wanna make sure tone and delivery are as good as the previous entries, and not the multimedia spin-offs.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I have chosen my waifu. Hopefully it's female.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Apparently the cat's name is Morgana so I'm in the clear.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Sounds suspiciously like you're trying to deny that Chie is best girl Cinty

I think Chie is a fucking brilliant character. As is Yukiko, Kanji, Rise, Mitsuru, Yukari and the rest. I also think that having bonus outfits like thongs and bondage gear cheapens the characterization of them in order to titillate pathetic neckbeards and give them the pleasure of a semi.

It's not all bad - I actually really like Marie from P4G, as well as nearly all her extra content.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yukari can suck a dick shaped gun.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Is the Persona anime even written by the same peeps who do the games?

Maybe, maybe not, but they've pushed it heavily in their presentations, and it gets eaten up by their fans (especially on places like Destructoid, which I also frequent). It's fair to say they signed off on it, and it doesn't add to the canon or characters in a single positive way.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ah well. As long as it's from separate minds to the core games team I'm content to just ignore them.
  • I don't even know what game Chei is in just that she likes hamburger steaks and is unequivocally the Best Girl.

That probably accurately highlights the problem.
  • It's an action game? Huh.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Is Persona RPG? I know the sum total of nothing about the series.
  • Completely agree on the 2 sides of the persona franchise (like a shadow version of the persona series?!), the anime and the arena games were just so far removed from what the original games achieved. Haven't seen P3 anime yet but heard it's better. It's what made me really wary of Q. However Q is actually quite well written for the most part, with the fanservice bits coming from either junpei or teddie. I mean, there's not a great deal of story really, but what's there is good enough.

There was a moment where each side (3 and 4) are explaining what they fight shadows for. P3 saying it's for the greater good of the world to eliminate the dark hour and the evil shadows, whereas the P4 guys are only really trying to solve a murder mystery in their small town. Not groundbreaking by any means, but i found it a really interesting dynamic.

Also I can't stop playing it as it's basically an etrian odyssey game.

edit: however shit like this happens but I'm ok with how mine ended up

tumblr_ngx62zFsPr1r5lpteo1_500.jpg
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    @DarkBrooksSoldier JRPG where a your party members fight using various different monsters attuned to them (Personas) and a big part of the game is basically making friends with all kinds of different people to improve specific kinds of Personas you can create. Add in contemporary drama and waifus.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Completely agree on the 2 sides of the persona franchise (like a shadow version of the persona series?!), the anime and the arena games were just so far removed from what the original games achieved. Haven't seen P3 anime yet but heard it's better. It's what made me really wary of Q. However Q is actually quite well written for the most part, with the fanservice bits coming from either junpei or teddie. I mean, there's not a great deal of story really, but what's there is good enough. There was a moment where each side (3 and 4) are explaining what they fight shadows for. P3 saying it's for the greater good of the world to eliminate the dark hour and the evil shadows, whereas the P4 guys are only really trying to solve a murder mystery in their small town. Not groundbreaking by any means, but i found it a really interesting dynamic. Also I can't stop playing it as it's basically an etrian odyssey game. edit: however shit like this happens but I'm ok with how mine ended up tumblr_ngx62zFsPr1r5lpteo1_500.jpg

I liked P4's toned down sense of scale but it's almost ruined by Izanami and that whole "optional" final segment. Should have ended with
    Spoiler:
  • I know what Persona games are, I'm surprised this one is actiony. Or is it?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Looks like it's just platforming/stealth elements mixed in the dungeon overworld. I assume when you touch an enemy it'l go traditional battle screen.
  • Nice menus:

DqPyM9p.gif
    dFEPXnW.gif
    VKtwJ9I.gif

Weapon dealer name in that last one, too, not that it really matters. Plus name for medic?

Also, it seems characters carry a weapon and a gun...? Does that mean stealthy / action gunplay or used in the battle setup?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    @DarkBrooksSoldier JRPG where a your party members fight using various different monsters attuned to them (Personas) and a big part of the game is basically making friends with all kinds of different people to improve specific kinds of Personas you can create. Add in contemporary drama and waifus.

Cheers mukka. That's me out.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm digging how all characters have a firearm along with the standard weapons.
  • I think the firearms thing is for the surprise attacks? Or maybe it plays into the front row/back row system in battles? Or am I thinking too hard and it's like naoto/aigis in that the main dudes weapon is just a gun?
‹ Previous123456730

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!