Persona 5
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    @DarkBrooksSoldier JRPG where a your party members fight using various different monsters attuned to them (Personas) and a big part of the game is basically making friends with all kinds of different people to improve specific kinds of Personas you can create. Add in contemporary drama and waifus.

Cheers mukka. That's me out.

I actually think you'd like it. Persona 4/Golden is one of the greatest games ever.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Anime style puts me off, always hated that look.
  • It is a bit shit, even when energetically stylised as per this instance.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Yukari refused to sleep with me.

I'm a bit hype after that trailer, think I even saw some stealth mechanics in there.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Also, simultaneous PS3/PS4 July 2015 release in both US and Japan. Nay a worry for us Euros as both console are region free.

Source?
  • Fuck. I should have bought a PS4.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Curtis wrote:
    Out this year on PS4 in the US, so at least we get to play an English language version soon-ish. Enjoy the teaser...

1420842986513.gif
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Nice menus: DqPyM9p.gif dFEPXnW.gif VKtwJ9I.gif Weapon dealer name in that last one, too, not that it really matters. Plus name for medic? Also, it seems characters carry a weapon and a gun...? Does that mean stealthy / action gunplay or used in the battle setup?

They were also very, very good in P4.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Curtis wrote:
    Source?

Other people's conjecture I took for blog translation at the time. Sorry!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Having played 4 then 3 FES retroactively, and a LOT of SMT I'm ready for this. Not sure what else I can add.
  • Over 2 million views within one week!
  • Judging by the trailer, the dungeons at least look more interesting than P4's boring corridors.
  • P4's dungeons got less boring with P4G, I'd argue, due to the ability to pick up and play at your own pace without having to worry about saves...but it's a fair criticism.

If I'm truly honest, though, I enjoyed them a lot, but I'll admit that maybe I'm not too objective when it comes to that game. The only dungeon I wasn't a fan of was...
    Spoiler:

I just found it tiresome, and didn't like the muzak.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I doubt I could replay P3 because of how linear Tartarus is after P4's dungeon of the month. It's easy to see gaping flaws in the Persona design but I just fucking love those first playthroughs.
  • I really liked tartarus. Was really repetitive but just liked teh dungeon crawling and the fact death chased you if you took too long. Got stressful when you're trying to uncover every single corner of every floor.

Must be what it's like to play an MMO. Just grinding through floors leveling up new personas and doing odd fetch missions was quite therapeutic. Especially on the train and at work on PSP. I wish P5 would come to vita.
  • I didn't mind Tarturus, but I hate P3's social links compared to 4's - the social links in three just asked you to turn up and say "yes, you're so right" even if I wanted to say "get a grip on yourself you smug, dumb cunt". 4, at least, felt like you had a choice about how respond.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Mr Morooka so should have been the Devil S.Link in P4.
    Spoiler:
  • Damn I should'nt have read that. Playing through P4G at the moment.
  • Bad Bogard, bad! If it makes you feel any better, it's not a massive thing, you haven't ruined the story for yourself. Just avoid P4 spoilers from now on, k? Mwah!
  • My criticism of the linear dungeons aside, I'm really enjoying it so far. Great characters, wonderful music.
  • Cinty, I feel like I should apologise for
    Spoiler:
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Cinty, I feel like I should apologise for
    Spoiler:

Did you...
    Spoiler:
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    OP needs this in it btw.

1423309059300_zps19a1df0f.jpg
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Cinty, I feel like I should apologise for
    Spoiler:

Did you...
    Spoiler:

Pretty sure I didn't, can't say for certain though, it was my first play through years ago.

• Saw Dyno post this in the MMO thread, though I'd lend a hand.
    Couldn't find the 'official' thread, so...

omg, omg, omg...

Obviously all speculation at this point but main character seems to have more, erm, character than prior...main characters.

With that I mean, he certaintly seems less benign than the previous blank slate wildcards, and there even seems an element of danger about him.

Also, another trailer and still the same few cast members (save maybe blue hair guy). I 100% expect social links to be a thing, but yet to see any of it thus far. Hmmm.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Started playing Persona 3...

Like P4, the main protagonist is very much a avatar and less of a character. 
    That said, your dialogue choices are constrained. And in both games, the artists clearly put a lot of thought into the look of the character (for a start, you play a male in both games), so your thoughts about your character, and his effect on the gameworld are still very strongly guided. 

P5 does look a lot different in this regard... Making him a cat burglar (or whatever), is clearly going to colour your perception of the guy, and looking at the trailer, this aspect of the character does not look like a player option.

Perhaps this theft 'aspect' is the hook into the 'other realm'...

The use of the TV set motif in P4 was remarkable. It was the lynchpin to the entire experience.
    As post modern illustrations of mental illness go, it's an absolute masterpiece, and I think they're going to find it hard to top that in P5.

Again, looking at P3, the Tartarus is a mess by comparison, but to be fair, I really am at the very beginning of that game.

But I digress...

My objection (though it's not much of an objection, cause' I'm salivating for this game), is that the vocation of a burglar/thief has a very specific mental connotation.

Throughout the course of the Persona games, you're asked to make a series of small choices which over time, develop key personality traits of your blank slate character. In time these character traits eventually serve as keys to certain areas of the game map and help you to develop certain social links.

This premise is a huge component of the game.

Does this 'filling out' of the character not break that illusion slightly?
  • Perhaps this theft 'aspect' is the hook into the 'other realm'...

Does this 'filling out' of the character not break that illusion slightly?

Edited to talk about those two points in detail.

I'm very much guessing but I am pretty sure now, given the MC being held in prison in the velvet room, and the whole motif of "breaking chains" and "fighting for freedom" that the MC will find himself imprisoned as punishment for stealing something related to the other world and that he will be forced to make the binding contract as a deal for his release...or, bail, rather. That's just my thinking, going from what I've seen.

As for the second point, I had the exact same worry. In P3 and 4 the MC was my design and he answered the way I wanted him to. That may well be an option in 5 again - I'd be surprised if it wasn't - but it might make create a contradiction between the options I would want to choose and the personality being presented - do I choose for "me" or for "him". In the other games they were pretty much one and the same.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!