Disclosure Scotland
  • Does anyone have any experience of the 'Disclosure Scotland' criminal record check? I've gone for a job at Farnborough Airport and the check is one of the requirements before they take me on. 

I'm a little worried I might not get the job as I have a drink drive ban from a few years back. I know there are different checks, basic through to full in depth, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it?
  • This won't be very helpful, but that name rings a bell - think a company used them for a check on me for a UK based job back in 2005 (if I remember correctly), but I can't actually give any info other than they're a legit operation. They didn't find anything on me, but I have a completely clean record anyway. Sorry.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I had to do it for being a teacher. It's a bit of a swizz, a cursory check of you and they take £30.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's a legit thing btw. All teachers etc need it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Although I would expect a police record to show up...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm not sure that a drink driving ban would be taken into consideration. Pretty sure it will show up on a check though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep, what goober said.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Depends if it's enhanced. If so it will go to your local police and they will make a call on what is relevant. There was a similar convo on moneysupermarket not long back.

Once you've had a check you can sign up and pay 13 quid per year for a digital check that you can take between jobs.

If you haven't told them about it, then contact HR, speak to them and explain it. It's illegal for them to inform anyone of the results, whether good or bad.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Aye, I forgot about enhanced disclosure. But I think that's only for professions were you are in direct contact with children.
  • Thought this had all been relaxed with the Protecting Vulnerable Groups thing? It has for the NHS and the bits of my job that involve contact with kids.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    PVG stuff sits alongside disclosure
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    There's enhanced and Enhanced DBS also...it's a lottery. Just be honest.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Isn't Farnborough in Hampshire?
  • beano wrote:
    If so it will go to your local police and they will make a call on what is relevant.
    I may be taking you too literally here, but the local Police won't be making any such call. There are various levels of disclosure, and the Police are restricted by what level is required, no more no less. One level will only include unspent convictions, but fuller disclosure would include spent ones, too. If chalice's ban is only a few years old, its not likely to be spent yet, mind.
  • DBSS (Disclosure and Barring Services Scotland) seem to be the body used by everyone these days. No problems there.

Whilst fixed penalty notices aren't included on their return, a drink driving conviction will be from what I understand (unless it's spent..5 years?).
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    If so it will go to your local police and they will make a call on what is relevant.
    I may be taking you too literally here, but the local Police won't be making any such call. There are various levels of disclosure, and the Police are restricted by what level is required, no more no less. One level will only include unspent convictions, but fuller disclosure would include spent ones, too. If chalice's ban is only a few years old, its not likely to be spent yet, mind.

Enhanced (£44)

This includes the same as the standard check plus any additional information held by local police that’s reasonably considered relevant to the workforce being applied for (adult, child or ‘other’ workforce). It takes about 4 weeks.

‘Other’ workforce means those who don’t work with children or adults specifically, but potentially both, eg taxi drivers. In this case, the police will only release information that’s relevant to the post being applied for.

What ‘local police information’ means

For the purposes of this page, local police information can include:
    Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN’s)
    Penalty Notices for Disorder (PND’s)
    Findings of innocence
    Aquittals
    Cautions and convictions of those that you live with
    Other Police intelligence (including allegations)
    It does not include information held on the Police National Computer, including:
    Cautions
    Reprimands
    Final warnings
    Convictions
    Cautions, reprimands and final warnings are not criminal convictions. However, in terms of disclosure, they are covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (which means, once spent, they do not need to be disclosed and you are protected by the ROA) and are also included in the Police Act 1997 as being disclosed on standard and enhanced checks as these are carried out for positions exempt from the ROA.

What's not mentioned there is evidence from witness statements. For example, if the person whose DBS it is says in interview that they are a struggling alchy, the police may put it in.

Such has been a focus of Liberty campaigns. There has been a ho-ha over such of late.

I was under the impression it's six, not five years...

Apologies no souces, but their easy to find with a verbatim web search.
  • Where's that quote from, Beano? Because a bunch of it doesn't apply to Scotland, and much of the rest of it is information held nationally, not locally.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Okay, so some doesn't apply scotland. I can dig that.
  • it picked up my misdemeanors
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Thanks for all the replies chaps. Didn't get the job. :(
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sorry chalice. Any idea how the BDS came back?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd be interested too. I just had to do the PVG check again because of the changes here.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Reg is a crim!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ya got me
  • Check was fine even with the DD on there. The guy I was supposed to be replacing decided not to go. 

Fucker. :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!