Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • Thanks to Bollo, James Howell on refusing to critically engage with the MGS series after MGS3

I feel he's pretty much totally on the money. It reminds me of a modern day version of the issue with continuing to critically entertain books like Heart of Darkness, which Achebe wrote passionately about.

I agree with this sentence the most: 

"I am still able to enjoy these games on my terms, which have been illustrated in detail over the course of these videos, and I will continue to do so. I prioritize the ethical representation of women in media, and I also prioritize nuanced examination of media for context and meaning. These priorities matter to me with enough force to require a moral decision, which is all the justification needed to remove oneself critically."

I feel that's totally on-point when it comes to so much media that trades on misogynistic junk (see Bayonetta) It's totally fine to enjoy it (heck, how would you ever enjoy Pynchon, Foster Wallace or Amis to name three if you didn't). Not that they should be critically exempt, but that someone who has written extensive discourse on the first three games should chose to refuse further criticism, or retrospective returns. It leaves the door open for other people to attempt to unpack the issues, such as the people targeted by the series idiocy.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I tried to get into MGS by starting Twin Snakes at least 3 times. The last time I actually managed to get to another building, I couldn't even reach that first elevator the first few times I tried.

I must be missing something, even Bas managed to get through it all and he's not the most patient gamer I know.
  • Howell's position is correct far as I care - it was always a private, enthusiast's task to critically assess the series, he's under no obligation to carry on if he locates something rotten. He will probably expend his intellectual energies on another videogame hence instead.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Howell's position is correct far as I care - it was always a private, enthusiast's task to critically assess the series, he's under no obligation to carry on if he locates something rotten. He will probably expend his intellectual energies on another videogame hence instead.

Agreed with the above. do think that he's gone about it in the right way, and that ones own enjoyment of material Shouldn't conflate with ones desire to critically assess. Brooks' last line is the intrigue tho. where does he go from here? Is there any comparable series in terms of narrative / scope?
  • I know he's already dived into Last of Us fwiw.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Seems to me that's a lot more one note ( a particularly well played note, mind ) than MGS. Would like to see him dig into Silent Hill say.
  • Metal gear solid is not one note in the way a baby jumping on a piano isn't one note.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Metal gear solid is not one note in the way a baby jumping on a piano isn't one note.

Exactly. But is it art
  • If a urinal can be art and a copper square, then s sure why not
  • I have no idea what Tempy and Brooks and reg are discussing as literary criticism is not one of my fortes. I do find it amusing though to see this discussion jump from one on strategies about how to shoot collectible frogs and firing a rocket launcher at your feet, to critical engagement with a series known for inherent absurdity.

Which is not to denigrate the latter, only pointing out the hilarious juxtaposition.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That juxtaposed thing has beenKoj's mo since day one.
    "Do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?"
  • *shit in a barrel*
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    *nietszche*
  • it's similar in the way the game tries to talk about important worldly issues whilst dressing all the female characters in bikinis. while this has sort of always been there i feel it ramped up in MGS4.

I have to say i'm mostly ignoring 'quiet' from 5. i really wish they would update that costume. if i think too much about it i'll probably have to cancel my pre-order.

Nina wrote:
    I tried to get into MGS by starting Twin Snakes at least 3 times. The last time I actually managed to get to another building, I couldn't even reach that first elevator the first few times I tried. I must be missing something, even Bas managed to get through it all and he's not the most patient gamer I know.

the basic gameplay flow in MGS1/2 is really simple. maybe you're overthinking it? just run behind people and break their necks!

3 mins in;

• Come with g if you want to live...
  • goddammit at least remake Snatcher before you go Hideo.
  • Is that not Konami killing their only golden goose? Did Koj actually finally decide he wanted do other videogames again?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is good.

He's free.
  • He's probably been watching Howell's stuff and can no longer live with himself.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    He'l probably make shit films.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's good news jokes aside. Well, in terms of potential non mgs games. It's probably not a pleasant time for the guys involved.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Hayter will have him back.
  • Fuck tha Hayter.
  • g.man wrote:

Looks like he is off.

I was chatting with a couple of people at work the other day about the decline of Konami.

Outside of PES and MG I honestly can't remember the last game of theirs I played. Even Kojima productions seem to have been working more as contractors rather than permanent employees of Konami recently.

They were easily one of my favourite developers in the 80s/90s, sad times.

I wonder how well MG will fare at Konami without Kojima.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Another one bites the dust. 

The gaming industry is undergoing a crash.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Koj is kickstarting a new game about Nanomachines

Believe
  • It will be good to see him work on something new though. His mgs story arc is irrevocably tangled now and not even a reboot can save it.
  • Kojima blates going to work on an upskirt vr fapsterpiece.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!