Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • Ok... I didn't know you could snap peoples necks. I've completed MGS3 twice, MGS once and MGS4.... I seriously didn't fucking know that. WHAT THE FUCK!
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Wow.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • So seriously how? Like how? All I've ever done is knock people out from behind.

• Scotswahey wrote:
    So seriously how? Like how? All I've ever done is knock people out from behind.

How did you not know, or how do you do it?
  • How do you do it? Like what button combo do you push to break somebodys neck.

• You have to repeatedly press choke and he breaks the neck instead. I recall for the ps2 and maybe ps3 games it was also linked to the pressure sensitive buttons - you press hard and break the neck.
  • Scotswahey wrote:
    How do you do it? Like what button combo do you push to break somebodys neck.

Wich of the mg games?
    Mgs one tap square really fast till you hear the crack.
  • Ah thats where I was going wrong. I think I always just pressed once and held.

• Yep. CQC in mgs3 is a bit more complicated though.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • In recent games there have been proper distinct choices like press one button to kill them and another to knock them out. It used to be possible, especially on harder difficulties, to kill someone while trying to stop them struggling.

I think I was shown the moveset on MGS1 so I can't say if it's shoddy signposting but I think it's a good thing, n the whole, that you can get through several instalments of the game without knowing you can do something that the game lets you do but discourages in its story and mechanics.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • The mgs1 manual explained it really clearly with the comic book drawings.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Smang wrote:
    it's similar in the way the game tries to talk about important worldly issues whilst dressing all the female characters in bikinis. while this has sort of always been there i feel it ramped up in MGS4. I have to say i'm mostly ignoring 'quiet' from 5. i really wish they would update that costume. if i think too much about it i'll probably have to cancel my pre-order.

Not trying to defend the costume as I do think it's very extreme too but it does sound like they're doing it for a reason with her back story being what it is. Although considering the previous games, and the quality of similar attempts in Ground Zeroes, I'm not sure if they'll be able to pull of such a serious topic. We'll see.
  • i've heard the reasoning for her wearing it - but after she gets 'rescued' and taken to mother base i'd assume they might have a spare t shirt or a pair of trousers. 

i expect its also explained that her invisibility thing doesn't make her clothes invisible or summat, hence.

Either way Snake + Dog looks to be the top tier team
  • You knows it...

tumblr_ludafgaJwj1qgs3yho1_500_zps1e1hwrmr.png
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I pray for a shadow Dancer skinset. could this be the new best dog in video game ever?

shadow-dancer-sega-genesis-gameplay-screenshot-1.jpg

Scotswahey wrote:
    Ah thats where I was going wrong. I think I always just pressed once and held.

if i recall correctly stick has to be neutral as well - direction + Square = judo throw. so basically get behind mandems and let go of stick and mash on square. you can also just sleeper hold people by tempering your mash speed, if you're on a no kill run. though that may only be after MGS2...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    One of my few problems with Snake Eater is that the title screen misleads you into thinking you can do cool looking CQC counters against armed opponents when you can't actually for fuck.
  • actually you can... you have to hold circle just as you are attacked. works on (the) boss(es) as well. leaves them face down or up for a ground hold up.

the knocking gun out of hands disarm was added in MGS4 as you probably know.
  • The best and endlessly amusing CQC tactic is where you run at them and slam them into the ground really quickly, never gets old, especially with accompanied shouts of SEE YA and SIT DOWN PAL
  • the infinite CQC hand gun 'glitch' in Ground Zeroes is also pretty amusing.

MGS3 wins in the weapons department. narcosis cigarette, a fork, cobras and the M60 first person RAAAAAAAARRGGGHHHH shout is amazing.
  • I was proud of figuring out what the fake death pill was for in MGS3.
  • i hate myself for being so pedantic but i think you mean the revival pill. 

*gets coat*

though i guess if you're talking about escaping a cell there are several ways to do it...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    actually you can... you have to hold circle just as you are attacked. works on (the) boss(es) as well. leaves them face down or up for a ground hold up. the knocking gun out of hands disarm was added in MGS4 as you probably know.

I'm chattin bout these.

• Smang wrote:
    i hate myself for being so pedantic but i think you mean the revival pill.  *gets coat* though i guess if you're talking about escaping a cell there are several ways to do it...

Goddamn it, thats what I meant, cheers.
  • Speaking of which, does everyone know about Guy Savage?
  • i know that he wasn't in the HD remaster, for shame.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I'm chattin bout these.

yeah me too - with the exception of Snake taking the guns or locking the wrist on the ground most of those animations are in there or similar. but they only happen as 'counters'.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    M8, no. You can't do anything remotely like the techniques on the main menu. Outside of the encounter with Boss you can't even "counter" guards basic knife swipes.
  • Not that you really need to.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    M8, no. You can't do anything remotely like the techniques on the main menu.

apologies, i must be getting the games mixed up in my head. i know most of the boss fights have QCQ elements to them though. 

also the title screen animations are basically the judo throws with a wrist lock/disarm at the end, so they are a bit like them, or rather - the functionality is the same.
  • Vela wrote:
    The mgs1 manual explained it really clearly with the comic book drawings.

Who the fuck reads instructions?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!