The British Politics Thread
  • Greens are the only party who cover some key issues for people. There's only one party I can vote for that wants higher education to be free and it's them. To some, being able to vote for that policy or to make a dissent against neo-liberalism is more important than the side effect of putting their name to some craziness.
  • Labour and conservative parties are in a race to the centre right, so for a left leaning voter often the greens are the only other option. At least in Aus where our Labor party seems to mirror yours, and our conservative party would line up to lick thatchers arsehole for inspiration on public policy. 

Greens are the only party here who go against stupid legislation like banning the internet and mandatory big brother monitoring of all citizens before they have a chance to think about committing a crime.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • monkey wrote:
    Greens are the only party who cover some key issues for people. There's only one party I can vote for that wants higher education to be free and it's them. To some, being able to vote for that policy or to make a dissent against neo-liberalism is more important than the side effect of putting their name to some craziness.

I didn't see anything in their manifesto or their website section on policy that said how they would intend to actually make higher education free, though.  I'd feel happier voting for a party like that if they had some substance and detail there.
  • There is nothing in policy about homeopathy Elm.
  • Under a Green government there would be no student loans as there would be no tuition fees and living costs would be met by Citizen’s Income. In the short term we will reintroduce student grants to meet living costs.

That quote is from Dante's favourite website. (way down the page under the Higher education bit). There's some detail there, but not the most important thing, which is how it would be funded, as far as I can make out. Like I said, I'm not voting Green but I would be if the election wasn't so tight. 

I don't particularly care about plans being costed. I'm more about statements of intent and principle.  Yes, of course you don't want politicians promising the earth, so getting things costed and realistic is decent practice. But it's still just guess work. The Tories had very clear plans for what they were going to do, the cuts they would and wouldn't have to make, then got into power and said "oh it's all different now we've had a look at the books". Fuck that noise, it's just a moveable feast where they can still come across as responsible and competent, but still just make it up as they go along when they get in. When so many other parties are failing to state some pretty basic stuff, then one party coming along and doing it, even if it's unrealistic or just an ambition or whatever, is still worth something. 

With higher education, it's not that we can't afford it, it's that middle aged people don't want to spend the money on it, or have been duped into thinking the money isn't there to be spent.
  • We used to afford it, so free education is hardly a new idea. The people who scrapped it all had the benifit of it.
  • Statement of intent is very powerful even if specifics can't be guaranteed after moving into No. 10. Aside from whoever's in power it's all guesswork anyway. I want to know the ideologies and beliefs of my party because it will inform everything they do, even if direct results for specific policies can't be guaranteed.

In 2010 I flirted with the idea of voting Tory despite almost all policies not specifically benefiting me because what matters for the nation is more important to me. In the end I'm glad I didn't because they turned out to be worse than my worst nightmares could have ever imagined. I voted Lib Dems because I believed in the idea of a liberal society, and although they failed to deliver on every key policy I voted them in for I do believe they've been a positive force in the current government in other ways - increasing the tax threshold for example. They couldn't deliver their big ideas but the ideologies shaped everything else they did. If the Tories had been able to run rampant and unchecked god knows what state we'd be in.
  • A state without Scotland.
  • We used to afford it, so free education is hardly a new idea. The people who scrapped it all had the benifit of it.

Tax was about 70 percent at the top then. The people who got free stuff then floated into the 40 percent era are laughing.

I couldn't find anything on taxing on that website other than "progressive"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Statement of intent is very powerful even if specifics can't be guaranteed after moving into No. 10. Aside from whoever's in power it's all guesswork anyway.

Although the Tories are currently saying that they're going to cut another 12bn off the welfare bill but are refusing to say where it will come from.
    In 2010 I flirted with the idea of voting Tory despite almost all policies not specifically benefiting me because what matters for the nation is more important to me.

Tories good for the nation? That's crazy talk.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Statement of intent is very powerful even if specifics can't be guaranteed after moving into No. 10. Aside from whoever's in power it's all guesswork anyway.
    Although the Tories are currently saying that they're going to cut another 12bn off the welfare bill but are refusing to say where it will come from.

They probably know exactly where it's gonna come from but know it'll be an election loser to admit it.

Yossarian wrote:
    In 2010 I flirted with the idea of voting Tory despite almost all policies not specifically benefiting me because what matters for the nation is more important to me.
    Tories good for the nation? That's crazy talk.

It was a brief flirtation. I was possibly drunk.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm sure they do know.
  • Not sure if any of these have been posted yet but some useful websites:-

- Vote for Policies not personalities link - fairly decent comparison of the parties' policy ideas
    - Nate Silver's UK GE predictions link - uses data from here
    - Gamble frivolously on this wonderful election here. You can even gamble on your own constituency result. The Cons are 1/100 to win my constituency. Thank the baby Jesus for the gift of FPTP. 
    - Your preferred party have no chance of winning in your constituency? Vote swap. Totally flawed premise run through Facebook.
  • Please stay in the Union, but don't even think about influencing policy.

PutEE2l.jpg
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Really lost by the Conservatives' whole 'vote Labour, get a coalition' thing. It reeks of hypocrisy after literally just having come out of a coalition government, especially when Labour would actually have some kind of political affinity with any coalition partners, unlike the weird, opportunistic ConDem team-up.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Sturgeon must be fucking loving this shit.

Zh2qE41.jpg

ezily49.jpg
  • Retractions already being Tweeted.  It's incredible to see front page stories being debunked before even going to print.
  • So I watched the debate tonight. Top lols from Farage, sadly it won't hurt him. He could probably say he wants to stick a bayonet into all these bloody foreigners and get a rousing cheer from the kippers. Probably not a good idea though, since they all have HIV.

Honestly not sure how anyone could judge Farage or Cameron as winning. Sturgeon and Milliband gave the best performances. Likely means jack shit in May though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But farage was "real" and wasn't afraid to be "un-pc". He tells it like it is and fucking blah blah blah...

Fucking pricks.
  • Farage was mental. Wildly different split between the parties - look they're all the same. It's like he didn't even listen to what was being said.

They've never had a real job. - Leanne Wood was a probation officer. Nicola Sturgeon was a solicitor. Natalie Bennett was a journalist. I think they all qualify as 'real jobs'. Certainly more than a fucking stockbroker.
  • Farage was mental.

You coulda finished your sentence there tbh.
  • Some (conspiracy) theorist on the guardian made an interesting observation. They suggested UKIP was anti immigrant only because they are pro anti eu. The eu is entirely built on the promise of an ever growing pool of cheap labour but the reality was that it imposes reasonable regulations and human rights. It's these barriers to max profit that is the principle agenda for those wanting to be eu leavers.

funny, yet undeniably has a tasty feeling of truth.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Why does the immigration issue make so many people froth at the mouth. If only the sensible ones could take a step back and get a good view of how they're being led around by the nose.

Are the older generations that threatened by change? They've had to deal with lots of it. Probably more than most generations throughout history.
  • There's something delightfully ironic about British complaining about immigration.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Farage was mental.

He did!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    @goober are those total numbers?? That's crazy low if so. An even smaller drop in the ocean than I'd previously dismissed it as.

Of course it's the ones stealing our jobs that are the real problem.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Outlaw wrote:
    Farage was mental.

He did!

Hah! I meant point. Shush you!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!