Help Yoss find a new career. With prizes! (nb, there are no prizes)
‹ Previous123
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Standby for wall of text.

It's time for me to get out of teaching, and to that end, I've spent the day at a careers advice workshop. It was helpful in that I've now got a better idea of what I want, but I could do with refining it further, so I thought I'd try throwing this out to the B&B hive mind to see if anyone has anything useful to offer.

I should point out, that I don't care too much about how realistic these suggestions are at this point in time. I'm looking for something I'm really going to enjoy, if that means that I have some hurdles to clear to get there, so be it.

So, the major things that I've established are that the types of jobs that I feel drawn to fall either into a the broad groups of thinking or doing. So, problem solving, analysis, anything involving an intellectual challenge would sum up the first group, the second is more practical stuff like fixing things and working with your hands. Of the two, I think the first group is more interesting to me.

I've also worked out that my primary motivator is trying to make the world a better place, so issues around social justice, inequality, representing those worse off than myself or trying to stand up to power structures are the sorts of things that would get me out of bed in the morning.

A few points worth noting: that I need to work within an existing structure as I'm not going to do shit if left to my own devices; I could do with something that will offer me different types of challenges as I get bored quite easily; and I thrive under pressure.

The only two ideas that I've generated so far that really appeal to me are working in some capacity with a charity or NGO (I'm not sure what, but possibly something to do with getting the message out or getting people interested*) and perhaps service design, which is a role that involves creating access to services which I didn't realise existed until today, but which sounds like it could be good, but I'm not sure if it will really tick the motivating box.

If you've got this far, thank you for reading. Any and all suggestions are very welcome. I figure you guys know me and what excites me better than most, so I thought it'd be worth seeing what you all came up with.

* Not chugging.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Pls send me your cv
  • Ask milo for a job. Maybe you can sell eggs.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Some kind of change management role might be suitable for you.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Pls send me your cv

I've been there and done that. But probably worth some fresh eyes.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Pls send me your cv
    Rev did a fine job with it, but it'll probably need updating in due course. For the moment, as I say, I'm just getting ideas together.
    The Daddy wrote:
    Ask milo for a job. Maybe you can sell eggs.
    Who is Milo and will these eggs usher in a new era of democracy?
    Some kind of change management role might be suitable for you.
    What is change management?
  • I could definitely see you in some sort of analysis, assessment, efficiency, intellectual, problem solving type of roll.  Thinking about it you'd make a great producer in a games studio if that interests you. Quick to progress in, good opportunities, not amazing pay in most places, long hours but rewarding as fuck.

Well done for making the decision to change course and do something different rather than continue status quo.  I've had 2 massive change in careers so far several years apart, and each time it's brought more happiness, learning and challenges, with a fair share of badness. But I'm glad I've done it and I'm about to do it again soon.  I say go for it what it is!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Try the co-op, or Simply Health.
  • What happened to coding?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How quickly can you rewire houses, Yossarian Drew?
  • What do you teach and why do you want to get out of teaching?
  • What are your qualifications? Skills?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Emigrate.
  • In no particular order; dry stone walling in the Yorkshire Dales, working for the Forestry Commission, Ninja assassin.
  • Half Life 3 QA tester.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • In no particular order; dry stone walling in the Yorkshire Dales, working for the Forestry Commission, Ninja assassin.
    I do the first two. I wouldn't recommend it. The third sounds OK though.
    PSN: Its_DanDan_Ey
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Another wall of text incoming.

Firstly, at Billy, games producer sounds interesting, but I'm concerned that the hours and pay will start to annoy me. I could possibly put up with both of those if it were in a job which was making a difference to the world, but I'm not sure I have enough passion for games in general.
    WorKid wrote:
    Try the co-op, or Simply Health.
    Retail? Done that, too money focused for me.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    What happened to coding?
    I haven't ruled it out, but I'm not going to get there without retraining fully as there's no way I'll just pursue it in my spare time, I'm just not that sort of person. I'm not against fully retraining, but if I'm retraining, I want to be sure (or as sure as possible) that I'm retraining in the right thing.
    How quickly can you rewire houses, Yossarian Drew?
    Electrician does appeal to the practical side of me, TBH, but I'm not sure if it will keep my attention long term.
    Matt_82 wrote:
    What do you teach and why do you want to get out of teaching?
    I teach English as a foreign language to adults. I want out as I feel that I've gained about as much as I can from teaching and need a new challenge. Obviously, there's always new stuff to learn in teaching, but the intellectual challenge has gone for me.
    WorKid wrote:
    What are your qualifications? Skills?
    If I try to do this starting from skills and experience, I'm going to end up in something that I don't enjoy again.
    Kow wrote:
    Emigrate.
    Done it. It didn't help long term.
    In no particular order; dry stone walling in the Yorkshire Dales, working for the Forestry Commission, Ninja assassin.
    Which tube line are the Yorkshire Dales on? But yes, I need the intellectual side, I'm not sure I'll get it from those roles. Except maybe ninja assassin. I'll put that on the 'to be considered' pile.
    Roujin wrote:
    Half Life 3 QA tester.
    Bug report: my shields still won't recharge. How many times do I have to send this back to you?
  • Not retail, back-office. Finance, project stuff, whatever.
  • Become a careers advisor and tell everyone to become a Ninja assassin.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Management systems for a charity would potentially suit.

For something easier to 'find' and train for, how about taking on EHS? Theres a huge demand at the moment (i know this direct from Michael Page) and its kinda half way to a helping people / environment type thing but business oriented obv.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Has anyone suggested being a ninja assassin?
  • Someone suggested samurai hitman, I think.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Go somewhere where teaching English is actually a job, that makes money, and has options.
  • Send me your cv.
  • Griff's head of the Ninja Council.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Join the Army yoss. ☺
  • Misread thread title as "Help Yoss find a new carer."
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Exclude bias kplsthnx.
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I just took one of those career quiz things. One suggestion was physicist. Another was Insurance policy processing clerk.
  • Law then human rights lawyer?
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!