• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So-called "proper" chocolate then.

I have introduced changes to my eating in order to lose weight which has to a greater extent been successful. I have a way to go - see the weight loss thread for that.

One change I introduced was to harness my rampaging sweet tooth by the consumption of small amounts of chocolate with high cocoa content (and consequently lower sugar and fat). 

The main advantage of this product is that you can't put it away in volume the way I can put mainstream chocolate bars away. At my worst I was putting away 6 bars or more a day and could put away 3 in one go no problem at all. Once you adapt to the taste (this stuff is strong) you find it gives you a chocolate fix very quickly. I can make a 100g bar last a week at the very least, and when you go back and try something like a Mars or Dairy Milk it tastes pretty vile or insipid. I believe it is very much a permanent change one can make with nothing but benefits. There are those who believe a regular small amount of good quality, high cocoa content chocolate can be beneficial.

I'm going to post here about bars I have come across. This stuff is usually pretty cheap too, so that's another benefit.

I have now got myself to staying at 80% and above re cocoa content - anything less now tastes a bit too sweet.

I started on Lindt - which comes in 80%,85%,90% and even 99%.

I have tried the 99% which is akin to sticking a piece of tobacco in your mouth - 80-90% is fine though. Lindt bars have large squares - and one is enough - so portion sizes are handy.

Green and Blacks have 80% and over too - it is rather good as well but the square size is thicker and smaller which can lead to temptation.

Both of these are available in large Tesco and quite often they will have a deal on that equates to a quid per 100g bar.

Lidl also stock a brand called J.D.Gross which has an "81% Arriba Superieur" bar which is splendid too. 125g for £1.19

At this point some may start coming back with phrases such as "single plantation" and discussing different cocoa beans (arriba is one) - bring it on.

Two ways to take this for me so far :

1. A portion with a handful of unroasted unsalted nuts is far better than any Snickers or Topic..

2. A square of higher content (the 99% is the only way to do this) slowly melting in the mouth. Marvellous.

I am guessing that combining this with an industrial strength coffee will also bear results. I have even read that taking it with with a good whiskey is a great experience.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paging Dr Skerret
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I still have my unprocessed Chuao chocolate in he cupboard from my trip to Venezuela. I rarely take a nibble because it's the pro-est of tiers
  • Something about Green and Blacks is gross. Dunno.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I would welcome any comment re more expensive brands - wondering are they any "better" taste or quality-wise.

Have a Hotel Chocolate branch in Belfast and we also have a little below street level shop called Co Couture which has done well at international competitions. They do drinking chocolate too - something I haven't tried.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah. Cocoa Blacks in Peebles (!) where we got married ended up as 3rd place in the world chocolatiers awards. No bad
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Something about Green and Blacks is gross. Dunno.

There is something in the background of the taste of Green & Blacks that is hard to define that can be a bit sickly. I'm not sure I like the thicker squares either. I tend to go for it if there is no Lindt on the shelf.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'll use own store brand 70% - 90% in porridge. Along with orange oil. Only a very small piece, say half a square, if that.

For a fix I go for Montezumas, Willies, Booja, Chocolate Society, or Rocco... I've tried to list these from cheapest to most expensive.

I have a similar affection for dark chocolate with coffee, so the 70%ish stuff does me well.

However, there is a Montezuma that is made with orange and geranium which is devine and nothing like coffee!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    orange and chocolate is great combo - worried it will lead me astray though.....
  • Hollis is correct, but if you lack his miraculous score, I would and do fucks with Amedei to the exclusion of all others for dark.

For box-o-chox choc, Bernachon, Maison, JP Hevin.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    At first glance Amedei tops out at 70% - I suspect above that the expert blending becomes more difficult for palates?

Good info so far. Something else for me to spend money on then. The idea of a 1KG bar is simply marvellous.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Costco have or rather had, when I went years back, 3KG bars...
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I would like to hear DS' thoughts on the matter.
  • There's a good place in Amaterdam if you're ever there
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've just bought a Twirl and a Crunchie lads.
  • davyK wrote:
    At first glance Amedei tops out at 70% - I suspect above that the expert blending becomes more difficult for palates?

A waxy/chalky 80%+'er is still waxy/chalky. I also used to go for the Lindt stuff and then I stopped.

Hotel's 100% job is kinda nice, unlike their fucking rank bonbons.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Freddo's are the shiz
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I tried 'proper' chocolate but its a bit bland really, don't have the tastebuds for it.
  • For cheapochoc it's Reese's or Galaxy's alien creamesque goop.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Do you like Crunchies, Brooks? This is a dealbreaker.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Baws deep gents.

l4R2jcw.png

Just had a nibble and the fucker is almost salty in places. Beautiful. I can translate the recipe for anyone who wants - makes the most insane Venezuelan hot chocolate
  • Do you like Crunchies, Brooks? This is a dealbreaker.

Nope, Cadbo can do one in general.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    We're done man, sorry.
  • I think I liked those dark Marsbars with the white nougat.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Despite the fact that they are war criminals, I always felt Nestle had the better handle on chocs
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    A waxy/chalky 80%+'er is still waxy/chalky. I also used to go for the Lindt stuff and then I stopped. Hotel's 100% job is kinda nice, unlike their fucking rank bonbons.

Point. I'm afraid of going lower lest my sugar consumption overdrive trigger fires. I'm maybe safer staying at the higher, more bitter end. Still - will be good to sample high end 70%-ers in small quantities first.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dark Kit Kat is still rather good to my palate.

Ordinary Kit Kat chunky is still a banana skin too....have a love of wafer and chocolate combo.
  • Tunnock's Caramel Wafer, thread fucking done.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Precisely the type of thing I have to avoid - could quite easily polish off a multipack in one sitting.
‹ Previous123456710

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!