Nintendo Switch
  • I would imagine it will be more premium than a 2ds.
    The N3dsxl is £185
    Wii U white is about £150

So £335. Bin the Wii U controller cost, the internals of the N3dsxl except battery. The Wii U cables and disc drive. Factor in 3-4 years of tech depreciation in costs. Put back in some tech dev and a decent amount of storage.

£250 to £300 rrp is more than imaginable.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I reckon it'll be cheaper. Take off the fancy eye track 3D from the N3DS, and bear in mind the WiiU controller is the most expensive bit. I do reckon they're aiming for £199
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Wii was £179 right? That's their yardstick
  • Yeah but the NX is controlled a series of sub-dermal implants guys
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Like my oyster card
  • Back compatible, handheld Wii U for a dozen chalices bundled with a couple of games and a Back Compatible Handheld Wii U Special Amiibo. Damn son.
  • Yeah a powerful Wii 2 prolly won't happen, oh well.

But now you guys have spelled out what the NX could well be - a handheld Wii U, I'm really put off.

What does that add?

Sure the N3DSXL could have better specs - especially resolution and a higher res screen, but you don't need loads of power for a handheld.

But for a home console to have the same power as a Wii U in a year minimum, but possibly a fair bit later - what's the point? Unless they come up with something as compelling as a wiimote was with the Wii - we can just play the same games, but on the move?

And without 3D would be a step back. 3D is awesome.

Perhaps with 3D it's compelling if I can then play high fidelity 3D games on the move and watch 3D movies at decent res - and Nintendo sell them etc. in an integrated online store - but that's highly unlikely too.

VR would be compelling. Wiimote is compelling but already available with the Wii U - and underutilised.
    VR plus wiimote even more compelling but super unlikely.

I hope it's either a powerful Wii 2 (wish fulfilment) or a nice surprise. The current (more likely) suggestions make the NX sound terrible.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • VR is the one thing they could do that might have some traction. They could do for VR what they did for 3D platforming. No one seems to have cracked how to make VR controls into a traditional gaming experience. There should be a lot of mainstream buzz around it next year as Oculus and other stuff starts getting rolled out. Putting it in a cheap, accessible, family friendly package with Mario VR, Kart VR, Zelda VR, Sports VR. That could be a big hit. God knows whether they've got the tech chops for that. It's an unlikely idea, just spitballing.
  • The point of the handheld Wii U is to combine all their output and avoid long waits between releases.

Reggie already said they ain't doing VR iirc. Again that would be reactionary, reactionary ain't Nintendo.
  • It would also solve the BC problem for Wii U (imagine a wii u power 3ds. a shitty little disc drive and all wii u games are playable) . And it would mean one didn't need to buy two consoles for all of Nintendo's output. This would make things cheaper for me to an extent which I can get behind.

obvs all speculation.

VR is a red herring and completely the antithesis of any sort of family fun target they are going for (i mean, imagine kids using the helmet, they warned the fuck out of this stuff on the virtual boy)
  • Get third party out of your head, it ain't gonna happen.

Then it will not succeed.

A console without FIFA and CoD will seriously struggle I think.

Also are you all really thinking it should be b/c?

The Wii brand is tainted now, has been for about 5 years, they need to get as far away from it as possible.

Plus all the confusion it will bring with it. Wiimote for this game, Wiimote & nunchuk for this one, oh this one needs the gamepad, ooo this one works with the pro controller like a 'real' game. No not that pro controller the Wii classic controller cos this is a Wii game not a Wii U game. Well can't I just use the Gamepad it has all the same buttons? NO. Why? Because.

Now imagine all that plus whatever control input the NX has.

They need a fresh start imo.

b/c is a weird one. Its super cool and important for those upgrading, why do you think MS put it into XOne?

360 was very popular and even Sony have said 40% of PS4 owners didn't have a PS3.

MS adding b/c to XOne is a shrewd move, lots of people are still waiting to make the jump to next gen and MS have just added a massive incentive to 360 owners, those same 40% that have jumped into PlayStation land.

On the flipside no one wanted to play Wii U the first time around. Adding it to NX with the unnecessary expense of the Gamepad would be a mistake imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I don't think they'd do VR, but was just an example of something new that's actually compelling.

Sure I'd like to actually be able to play SNES, N64, Gamecube games, Wii games and Wii U games on the move on one unified console - that's what most long time Nintendo fans probably want - finally being able to play all these titles - again or if missed the first time.

But that makes little sense for Nintendo. They make a lot of money out of selling both 3DS and home console titles. They're hardly going to cannibalise such a well selling system like the 3DS.

Sure they'd need to develop less titles, but they'd also sell less probably. And less hardware which they also profit from. Special edition hardware. Selling smash bros for 3DS and Wii U. Giving away CD soundtracks and a special character for doing so.

They're a toy company. How many DS/3DS incarnations exist, including special editions? It's ridiculous. It works well both for selling to kids and to men children like us that like to collect.

Amiibo is that taken to the next level.

I doubt very much they're going to streamline or go to a subscription model. Both are the antithesis of what they do.
  • @retro spot on.

Fresh start.

Nintendo 1.

I would personally like to see the wiimote used again along with a traditional controller. There are a lot of wiimotes lying around and it hasn't realised it's full potential, but yeah.

Perhaps if handled well a wiimote could work. If it's well powered and comes with an upgraded pro controller and wiimote, it's simple and works, and is clearly capable and marketed well - so it's clear it's not just another underpowered waggle console, it could work I think.

As was mentioned Ubisoft invested loads in the Wii U and it didn't pay off for them. Imagine if the next console takes the same approach. 3rd party support would be even lower, whilst development costs and time increase further. You'd be seeing an even sparser catalogue and release schedule.
  • Enjoyed reading this thread but I'm finding it hard to predict what would work vs what I'd want.  Focusing on what I'd want (for no real reason other than a touch of boredom this evening), an ideal world where the Wii U is sustainable would probably get my vote.  The graphics are plenty good enough for Nintendo's output and 3-4 rather special games per year is perfect with another box in the house.  Will be a shame to see the back of the Wii U, it's working for me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There has to be more too it than usp = wiiu + 3ds. Like why would I buy one, if I have both (like all true nintards do)? To play wiiu on the move? Meh. The specs have to be good enough to offer games that neither currently do. Plus with the New 3ds so recent (and clearly after they'd decided the direction of nx) I'd be a bit disgruntled!
  • 'Reactionary' means reluctance to change. Just thought I'd throw that out, 'cause unless I'm mistaken, it's being used to mean something differen itt.

Yes, I'm that cunt. Unless I'm mistaken, in which case, you're all cunts.
  • Will Nintendo's tech be underpowered though?
    I reckon by now they can easily counter ps4 and xbone processing power as that hw is now almost 2 years old. If they make the right deals with Intel/amd/nvidia anything's possible at an affordable price.
    It could be the NX will feature the successor of the 3ds as it's controller. Or at the least it will be an optional controller. NX will be the base console similar to the WiiU and the 3dsX controller takes over where the WiiU pad left off.

OS wise they will probably opt for Android but Linux could still be in the picture.

As for new control gimmicks I don't have a clue. VR with next gen nunchucks?
    VR + amiboo? VR boardgames for the whole family?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • android seems v plausible cos of the link up with dena and move into mobile

having said that I have a vague feeling that vita runs on android, so it doesn't have to feel like android
  • The Vita is in no way, shape, or form a portable Ps3. It's a long, long, way aways from that, especially on the CPU side.

There's no way that a portable WiiU is going to happen so soon imo: quite apart from the difficulty of shrinking all the parts to fit, how would they keep them cool enough at the same time? 

I really can't see Nintendo releasing that kind of difficult, bleeding-edge portable tech in a years time when they've said on many occassions that kind of thing is no longer their focus.
  • 3rd parties will come if the machine sells well enough.
    Success of 3rd parties will also depend on how well Nintendo implements its online service.
    Another option is that online mp is handled by the 3rd party (uPlay etc.)
    Unlikely as Nintendo seems intent on unifying it's ecosystem atm.
  • indigo wrote:
    The Vita is in no way, shape, or form a portable Ps3. It's a long, long, way aways from that, especially on the CPU side. There's no way that a portable WiiU is going to happen so soon imo: quite apart from the difficulty of shrinking all the parts to fit, how would they keep them cool enough at the same time?  I really can't see Nintendo releasing that kind of difficult, bleeding-edge portable tech in a years time when they've said on many occassions that kind of thing is no longer their focus.

Agreed.
    The controller will most likely be a 3ds like device, perhaps a successor. Processing power will be typical handheld and functionality wise it will be a lot like the WiiU pad but more portable.
  • It's hard to guess what they'll do next. Weirdly I'm thinking about some kind of holographic generating platform + Amiibo concoction... but that may be too soon & weird, even for Nintendo.
  • That's MS territory with the hololens.
    Even they don't dare to integrate that with xbone so that's a very unlikely move from Nintendo.
  • Yeah, definitely unlikely. Just a left-field approach I could picture them taking - like no glasses 3D.
  • Dan wrote:
    I don't think they'd do VR, but was just an example of something new that's actually compelling. Sure I'd like to actually be able to play SNES, N64, Gamecube games, Wii games and Wii U games on the move on one unified console - that's what most long time Nintendo fans probably want - finally being able to play all these titles - again or if missed the first time. But that makes little sense for Nintendo. They make a lot of money out of selling both 3DS and home console titles. They're hardly going to cannibalise such a well selling system like the 3DS. Sure they'd need to develop less titles, but they'd also sell less probably. And less hardware which they also profit from. Special edition hardware. Selling smash bros for 3DS and Wii U. Giving away CD soundtracks and a special character for doing so. They're a toy company. How many DS/3DS incarnations exist, including special editions? It's ridiculous. It works well both for selling to kids and to men children like us that like to collect. Amiibo is that taken to the next level. I doubt very much they're going to streamline or go to a subscription model. Both are the antithesis of what they do.

Integrating VC and BC into the ecosystem is more than about just playing old retro games.
    Its about binding your userbase to your company. It's about allowing users to build a library in their account. It's about users not abandoning you once next gen comes around. How many users jumped ship in the transition from Wii -->WiiU?
    That's one of the main reasons why consoles are shifting to OS frameworks come next gen. Nippon cited Android as a logical candidate for the NX and they may be right.

• NINTENDO HOLOGRAMS TECH
  • hunk wrote:
    Dan wrote:
    I don't think they'd do VR, but was just an example of something new that's actually compelling. Sure I'd like to actually be able to play SNES, N64, Gamecube games, Wii games and Wii U games on the move on one unified console - that's what most long time Nintendo fans probably want - finally being able to play all these titles - again or if missed the first time. But that makes little sense for Nintendo. They make a lot of money out of selling both 3DS and home console titles. They're hardly going to cannibalise such a well selling system like the 3DS. Sure they'd need to develop less titles, but they'd also sell less probably. And less hardware which they also profit from. Special edition hardware. Selling smash bros for 3DS and Wii U. Giving away CD soundtracks and a special character for doing so. They're a toy company. How many DS/3DS incarnations exist, including special editions? It's ridiculous. It works well both for selling to kids and to men children like us that like to collect. Amiibo is that taken to the next level. I doubt very much they're going to streamline or go to a subscription model. Both are the antithesis of what they do.
    Integrating VC and BC into the ecosystem is more than just playing old retro games. Its about binding your userbase to your company. It's about allowing users to build a library in their account. It's about users not abandoning you once next gen comes around. How many user jumped ship in the transition from Wii -->WiiU? That's one of the main reasons why consoles are shifting to OS frameworks come next gen. Nippon cited Android as a logical candidatefor the NX and they may be right.

it was not done in the best way but all vc wii titles could be transferred to the wii u I think.
  • nick_md wrote:
    'Reactionary' means reluctance to change. Just thought I'd throw that out, 'cause unless I'm mistaken, it's being used to mean something differen itt.

Yes, I'm that cunt. Unless I'm mistaken, in which case, you're all cunts.

ooh. Fair play.
    That is my bad. I meant it in that they react to what is going on in markets. Would "Reactive" work better?
  • Imagine playing super mario world on the big screen.
    Save, quit out of the game and continue where you left off on the bus on your 3dsX handheld thanks to the power of the cloud (cloudsaves). Get home in the evening and continue your game on the NX on the telly in full HD.

Same with any zelda, metroid or any game for that matter from previous console generations. That's what nintendo's aiming for I guess. Beats the emulators on your smartphone no?
  • i think they'll skip the hardware and software, and take us all back to a simpler time when families got together and played board games!
    Super mario board game
    super mario kart board game
    zelda board game
    amiibo board game

and you'll be able to buy amiibos for the board games too, and if you use certain ones you get an extra roll of the dice or something.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!