EDGE: Christ on a bike, it’s a knuckle sando!
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    When games such as Half Life,  Goldeneye and GTA 3 don’t get tens that tells you alot about how high the bar used to be. Now they hand them out to games that simply don’t deserve them, Bayonetta, Rock Band, and Little Big Planet. Can anyone honestly say that GTA4 was better than Vice City or San Andreas? How on earth is Dark Souls not a ten?

Absolutely not the route we want this thread to go down, but I think you're miles off the mark there.  GTA4 was demonstrably better than San Andreas in every measurable metric.  Bayonetta, while I don't get on with it at all, was hailed as the absolute pinnacle of the DmC-alike, with some of the greatest dynamics and deepest fighting ever seen, and a perfect "pure" videogame.  Rock Band 3 was the realisation of everything the rhythm action game had been moving towards, the peak of what it achieved before collapsing under its own weight, and such a surprise compared to everything else.  LBP, again a game I didn't like, was still a reinvention, with a unique approach to user-created content that meant it was something incredibly special.

Similarly, Gran Turismo now is total shit.  The lack of a damage model means you can win races by driving at full speed and ignoring corners.  But in terms of what it did to the racing game, the degree of adjustability, the involvement it pulled out of the player because you had bought "your" car and tuned it in exactly "your" way means it was absolutely astonishing at the time.  

Half Life, Goldeneye and GTA3 had their own faults which means I think 8s and 9s were entirely the right choice for them; faults you can't really aim at any of the games in your list of 10s above.  
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    What happen to the retrospective feature which was a great monthly trip down memory lane?

They've explained this; they kept "Making Of," but Time Extend died to be replaced with the more detailed look at certain elements of games/interviews etc that follow the lead reviews in each issue.
  • Something about Japan is sadly missed by me.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Ditto.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Skade wrote:
    Something about Japan is sadly missed by me.

Through video games I developed a bit of an obsession with Japan in my youth. In recent years though I've started to realise that I'm not really that bothered about Japan without video games. Simultaneously though, I'm not that bothered about video games without Japan.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Yes let's not turn this into a EDGE scores vs other magazine scores thread please.

On the EDGE website at the moment they have a feature up where you can look at every magazine cover from issue 0 onwards.

Looking through the first 100 I remember many of them, but what's interesting is how many of them are of things you wouldn't find on a recent EDGE cover.

for example -

An unknown character/scene from a tech demo for some new engine/lighting tool.
    A person from a studio or publisher.
    Company logos.
    Some random artwork drawn just to make a point for a story/opinion.
    The insides of some hardware.

What stands out the most is how many covers were hardware related, a LOT of hardware was being brought about then, loads of innovation, fast moving.

As others have said we need that next gen to come along to get us all going again.  I'm totally ready for it, it's been too long already.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/every-edge-magazine-cover-ever
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I still get it, but I've barely flicked through the previous editions. It might be me, it might be the summer drought, but I seriously doubt I'll be renewing.

Unless they do an awesome free gift.

Off topic, but does anyone want a cheap ugly messenger bag?
  • Also, let's face it. Without online/offline, what's the point?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    EDGEcov159.jpg

Dooop dee doo.

Stick to the reviewing not the predicting, EDGE.
  • Don't forget the NINTENDO AM DOOMED cover. Or covers, probably.
  • Is their current lack of forum doing them any damage? It cant look great for new readers but is that how a magazine is judged? Do no readers normally check out the mag's forums?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    A little early perhaps, but if Sony move to an x86 architecture in the PS4 then that one isn't that far off.
  • It's easy to look back at articles analysing the videogame landscape and laugh.  That doesn't make the articles less interesting or justifiable at the time.  Out of interest, did any of those articles conclude that the answer to the questions posed was a resounding 'yes'?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Gran Turismo now is total shit.

Let's go outside.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Out of interest, did any of those articles conclude that the answer to the questions posed was a resounding 'yes'?
    No.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It's a sad one deffo. I don't get that excitement looking forward to heading into town to grab a copy.

We are desperately in need of the next gen consoles and so are Edge. Likewise an editorial shakeup, it is stale as said. I'm not saying Craig David Ben Alex a tron, aren't right I mean the Future fuckers that clearly directed the current incarnate abomination version of the Edge brand still have the best print mag for all industry stakeholders despite missing Japan, Biffo but having Randy Smith. When he turned up and Poole left was when the cheese started rolling down the hill.

I still pick it up and read a few pages but I get nowt new out if it and frankly some of the formating for their large essays can make them almost illegible. It's almost tiring to read. I've got three copies of the new format all with an article or two in them that I've not been able to finish because I find it so lacking in aesthetic typography that I lose interest, even though it's something I want to read about. So there's usually a third I can get through, hype, reviews, letters, continues, soundbites, site of the month, Poole. The rest is mostly the fuck.

But hey, maybe it's just me.

Oh yeah just remembered what else they're missing...

"Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I don't like the new format, the entire last 1/4 of the mag particularly.
    that last part of the mag does nothing for me either. since ditching hard copies for tablet downloads i don't even worry about skimming, it's really not for me. 'not really for me' sums up an awful lot of Edge's content at the moment - reviews have all been read by the time the issue has been released, and the up coming big games are rarely up my alley. as i get older all i can pre-emptively get excited about are rpg's with highly customisable player characters. halo 4 or far cry might be great, and i might even buy them close to release date if there's not much else happening at the time, but no way am i reading pages of expostion about them months before release. i reckon things will get more interesting when the new range of consoles come out - nothing terribly exciting happening right now, or at least exciting to me. wouldn't mind a new crop of opinion writers, leigh alexander and brian howe aren't my cup of tea (although i remember reading some of howe's non edge stuff and quite liking it), while randy smith and clint hocking dont write about things i care about. still a reader though, thanks to ipad version; would give it the flick if i were still paying $17.00AUS for it per month.
    Why aren't you participating in the Secret Australian Business thread?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Rock Band 3 is absolutely, definitively a [10], certainly more so than GTA 3, Goldeneye and Half Life. In all honesty, I can say that the games you mention getting 10's are better than the games you mention not getting them. So there.

Also Something About Japan was an utterly pointless section in the mag. Despised it with every fiber of my being.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    It's easy to look back at articles analysing the videogame landscape and laugh.

For reference I laughed at the one I posted when it was published as well.

There's a huge difference between and interesting or justifiable article and a shock headline designed to make you notice the mag and buy it.

See also Kinect 32X
  • No, that was fair comment.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You'd love it to be, but it wasn't.
  • Not in terms of sales, no, but in terms of usefulness.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    That's not what the 32X is a byword for though is it.

If the experts at EDGE thought it was going to sell shit loads but not be very useful then they should have compared it to a Furby.

By the by, I happen to find Kinect extremely useful when I'm lying on the sofa using it to control Netflix.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yeah but that gesture technology is coming into all smart tvs.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I don't use  the wavy arm stuff, the voice control bit.
  • I still prefer to use the pad, as I like things to happen within the century.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's quicker to use the voice than to wait for the pad to switch on and re-connect.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm with Mod, it's okay to say 'they got it wrong' because they absolutely did with Kinect. We might find it useless, or maybe if we're Elm, we can use it to say things into, but it does not have the same connotations / stigma attached to it that the 32X does.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Crotch thrusting needs to be an essential menu movement really.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!