EDGE: Christ on a bike, it’s a knuckle sando!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    hula hoop yer hips to cycle and KISS-style thrust to select.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    It's quicker to use the voice than to wait for the pad to switch on and re-connect.

Which is only an issue when the pad isn't connected. Still, waiting for it to actually understand you makes it a close run thing at times.

You're right, the Kinect did go on to sell well. It's still pretty shit though. I suspect that with that on board processor they removed it might have been something approaching good, and could have been brilliant if they didn't insist on YOU ARE THE CONTROLLER and instead combined it with Move.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kinect 720?
  • I really do hope that they dump the current Kinect, because it's just not good enough. If they just go with the current one for 720/Durango/Xbox 3 it will probably continue to be shit.

Unless anyone has managed to have better results connecting it to a PC?

They need it to be able to work in a more confined space too.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yeah needs a much wider lens. I'm not entirely versed on it's limitations. I've seen it lag though and it's a bit displeasing.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I find it hard to believe they've done 18m units on the back of marketing alone. Some people must see it in action and think yeah, that works great, I'm having some of that.

Or they buy it for their kids and don't give a shit how well it works in Steel Battalion.

MS must have numbers for use in game, and they still keep adding support in mainstream games and rolling out XBLA and retail dedicated titles.
  • It's all a bit lame tbh.

Edge will be bought when it shows me some nice pictures of Xbox 720 and PS4 along with some games, talks about the tech and chucks in some articles about interesting shit I can't read elsewhere.

I suppose, because the industry is cyclical, it's a case of having seen most of it before and, with age, being less susceptible to hyperbole.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's hard to sell a mag on the promise of "The Future of Interactive Entertainment" when the only machine you've got to talk about is the WiiU.
  • Hi all! Just registered here. Not been active on the edge forum in quite a while. I no longer buy the print copy of Edge, i got a special offer on Zinio (for my ICS tablet) and picked up a years subscription for less than the price of a single print issue. But the mag is going downhill. I rarely read it all now (had been buying it EVERY month for over 7 years). I miss the articles covering old classics, how they were made etc. Im not even sure ill renew my digital subscription now tbh.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    NINJA

Anyway, Edge (the magazine effort, not you guys) died for me when Biffo left, I think the last issue I got was 200 with all the covers. Was it 200 or 100 I dunno I had Sensible Soccer anyway. I occasionally browse it when in Smiths or whatever, but nah, not for me. I rarely buy mags these days, there's no fecking point when I can .pdf em. Did like the writing, despite my fuckwitted posting style I like good reads, but there's just nothing of interest these days.

Anyhoo, I get all my gaming shiz from you lot on here. Without you lot i wouldn't have bothered with my PS3, Far Cry 2, Borderlands, Trials (THANK YOU ALL, MAINLY MOTO) and loads other stuff, so yeah, big kiss.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hullo you, I remember your dulcet posts.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I find it hard to believe they've done 18m units on the back of marketing alone. Some people must see it in action and think yeah, that works great, I'm having some of that. Or they buy it for their kids and don't give a shit how well it works in Steel Battalion. MS must have numbers for use in game, and they still keep adding support in mainstream games and rolling out XBLA and retail dedicated titles.

Given the investment it can't afford to have Kinect 'fail'.

I'd question how much something like Wreckateer really costs Microsoft to make. Even modest sales would see it recoup investment and thus start earning money.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Skerret wrote:

thanks

THUM UP IF U LIKE DIS POST
  • Skerret wrote:
    thanks THUM UP IF U LIKE DIS POST
    1313250529949824.gif
  • +1
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    aaww shit ill neva hav frends now stop trollin me
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    aaww shit ill neva hav frends now stop trollin me
    thumbs-down.gif
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    nintendo bashing ftw :D
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • aaww shit ill neva hav frends now stop trollin me
    you just got djc humped...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    No wonder I feel so dirty.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I find it hard to believe they've done 18m units on the back of marketing alone. Some people must see it in action and think yeah, that works great, I'm having some of that. Or they buy it for their kids and don't give a shit how well it works in Steel Battalion. MS must have numbers for use in game, and they still keep adding support in mainstream games and rolling out XBLA and retail dedicated titles.
    Given the investment it can't afford to have Kinect 'fail'. I'd question how much something like Wreckateer really costs Microsoft to make. Even modest sales would see it recoup investment and thus start earning money.

Eveyone says it's shit but it's sold to 27% of the user base at a price that's 71% of the cost of a whole 4GB console.

And that's working on a simple comparison of user bases, never mind all the console+kinect packs that were sold.

We're a long long way past adding support and releasing games to prevent it being a failure.
  • Who's to say 27% of a loyal fanbase is a successful take-up? Not me.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I've just had a look at the old place again and got a little bit angry.

They had a community that for all it's occasional faults was vibrant, helpful, informative. We raised thousands of pounds for charity, provided content for the magazine, created and sold merchandise, self policed both users and spam bots, commented on website articles, assisted with re-design, were patient for almost a year.

And what did they give us in return? A small sliver of bandwidth and the royal shaft.

With the absolute utmost respect for what Petey has done for us here, how hard would it have been for them to do similar?

Fuck 'em, twats.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm with Mod, it's okay to say 'they got it wrong' because they absolutely did with Kinect. We might find it useless, or maybe if we're Elm, we can use it to say things into, but it does not have the same connotations / stigma attached to it that the 32X does.
    They didn't get it wrong, they went with a dramatic headline in the form of a question. The actual article was about both the pros and cons IIRC, and certainly didn't conclude that, yes, Kinect was clearly destined to be another 32X. It's rather tiresome and cheap journalism to put such an attention grabbing headline on the cover, but it's a common enough tactic (which seems to work judging by the discussion it can still create), and not to be confused with a prediction.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    Who's to say 27% of a loyal fanbase is a successful take-up? Not me.

It's a rather higher number, at a 185% higher retail price, than the 13.7% Move managed.
  • Using it now as a £100 voice control mic is a little damning too.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    Using it now as a £100 voice control mic is a little damning too.

I'll use it for whatever the hell I want, I'd never got any intention of jumping round the living room on a regular basis. It serves its purpose perfectly well in party situations.

Voice control is a nice dad-to-day bonus.
  • Don't worry, I'd be touchy too as it dawned on me.
  • djchump wrote:
    7r8vi.gif

He looks like a Muppet of himself.

I don't find myself able to sit down with EDGE for 3 hours like I used to, but it's still the only mag I'd spend £9.99 on every quarter by direct debit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!