The B&B Musicians/Producers/DJs Thread
  • I have started to put together playlists of all my vinyl by genre on Deezer.
    Aim is to be able to listen to them more as vinyl is a bit limited to how and where you can listen.

This is the first one, I need to obtain and upload about another 30% of tracks that deeper doesn't have in it's library, also one or two are DnB but are on the same vinyl so I thought it best to leave them on.
    Live's Dubstep Vinylz
  • Have started to teach myself how to read sheet music, with a little help from the missus. Am picking up the basics pretty well but wanted to know if anyone here has any recommendations for free resources I may find handy?
  • Namm on at the minute. Not seen too much that excites me from the usual suspects this ear, but those little teenage engineering machines look fucking cool!
    PSN: Its_DanDan_Ey
  • nick_md wrote:
    Have started to teach myself how to read sheet music, with a little help from the missus. Am picking up the basics pretty well but wanted to know if anyone here has any recommendations for free resources I may find handy?

https://www.teoria.com/

That perhaps? Has interval ear training which I used to do, probably should keep doing as it's pretty useful.
  • Cheers Gurt, will a look.

Making pretty solid progress so far, seems to be easier than I expected to grasp the basics. Building up to a point where I'm not counting the lines and spaces, now that'll be another thing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    This tune has been harassing me for so long that I don't know what it is any more, only that I hate it.
    https://soundcloud.com/kowdown/history
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    A drum machine in a website - HTML5 Drum Machine.

iPad cross fader.

Enjoy.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Really digging this plugin at the moment -

Nova3_screen_alpha06.png

I've been trying to find some more experimental ways of representing rhythms recently and I came across this gem of a VST (Windows only, soz), it's amazing for coming up with strange arpeggios and odd cross rhythms. It can get REALLY chaotic too, you're basically hearing cellular automata.

You use it by sticking it in front of another VSTi and it generates MIDI notes when you hit play, you can then record the midi output (you can in Reaper anyway) and tweak it manually if you wish.

I recommend it.
  • Anybody used Reaktor? Looking at getting an edu license of version 6.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fraid not, I think I downloaded it once but it looked like took much work to figure out. But I'll bump the thread for you anyway.
  • Speaking of plugins, got around to looking at Scuffham S-Gear 2. The best guitar amp and cab emulation option going by heaps. Wish I could find a crack for it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Never heard of it but I shall definitely investigate.
  • May be worth keeping an eye out for sales, plugin sales always seem to pass me by. If anyone hears of any nice discounts do tell.

Reaktor 6 looks pretty tasty, the "Blocks" modular stuff looks great, nice compromise between straightforward knob twiddling and mind boggling routing. The sound samples on the site are really doing it for me too.

I can get the educational version for £89 which seems pretty good for the amount of stuff you can do with it. Only thing is I'm not sure if I can get patches or reinstall on a new PC at a later date with an Edu licence..
  • Some Melda Production plugins are on sale atm. I think there's sales all the time for their stuff, different set of plugins each week or something.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Having a peep at that Scuffham thing now, it certainly does sound good. Lack of effects means I'm having to dig up some decent virtual pedals to give it a more thorough work out as a main guitar vst. Will report back as and when.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So this Scuffham definitely does sound good, its models of amps are top notch, really gets that overdrive sound right with harder picking. It would be great if you wanted to play classic rock. But if you don't it's a bit limited and means getting other effects together - most DAWs have a stack of them but they're not all that suited to guitar usually. With only delay, reverb and flange/chorus you can make a lot of great sounds but it still seems a bit limited without a good fuzz, octaver, etc. For me anyway, Guitar Rig is still top, despite Scuffham having the better sound.
  • In that position I'd just run a VST suite of plugins like Bias FX in the chain before or after S-Gear. I think you can even run GR as a VST and just bypass the amp emulation therein.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You can but you'll need a fairy hefty processor and a bunch of ram. If you want to have more than just a couple of guitars running anyway. It's nice enough that I may adopt it anyway, I'll have to think about it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've just been having a bash on it with Guitar Rig, effects only, in front of it. It does work ok, but it seems that the Scuffham sound is kind of wasted with the effects on it. It may be that they're designed with Guitar Rig's sound in mind and just don't fully gel. They do work, though. Guitar Rig's far superior noise gate is welcome in there.
  • What I really want to get better acquainted with is running a physical amp head straight into a cabinet plugin, which I can do with Scuffham or Two Notes' Torpedo Wall of Sound III. Of course that means locating decent reactive load/lineout gear; currently that seems to mean having to purchase hundreds of bucksworth of attenuator with features I don't need.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Huh, you trying to run from head to computer sound card? Do you really need expensive attenuation, can you move a jumper on your sound card. I can switch from line to mic with avjumpervon related pin group on the card
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Depends. As I'm running a tube amp, there has to be a sufficient load in the circuit else I'll fuck the transformer up. Normally that's the speaker but if you're after silence while running into the puter, it needs to be a dummy and ideally a reactive dummy which actually behaves like a speaker load. A big fat 200w resistor would work electronically but doesn't sound too great.

Meanwhile you're taking the signal from a dedicated line-out in the amp, or the send in your FX loop. But of course it's entirely possible the send is in the circuit before the power tubes. I believe mine is, so it'd be missing a healthy portion of the unit's actual sound.

I'm gonna see if I can, somehow, scratch together a reactive load box with a line out, research required.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    May be worth keeping an eye out for sales, plugin sales always seem to pass me by. If anyone hears of any nice discounts do tell. Reaktor 6 looks pretty tasty, the "Blocks" modular stuff looks great, nice compromise between straightforward knob twiddling and mind boggling routing. The sound samples on the site are really doing it for me too. I can get the educational version for £89 which seems pretty good for the amount of stuff you can do with it. Only thing is I'm not sure if I can get patches or reinstall on a new PC at a later days te with an Edu licence..
    Reaktor 6 is great, the Blocks are a brilliant entry point into modular synthesis. Loads of new user-created Blocks available free on the reaktor library site too.
    There are free tutorial courses on kadenze.com too - an overview of Blocks that you can find on YouTube as well as a more fleshed out look at sound synthesis on Reaktor as a whole.
  • Cool, thanks. I've applied for educational status so I've just got to wait for a bit then I can get it half price. Looking forward to mangling some sounds.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Cool, thanks. I've applied for educational status so I've just got to wait for a bit then I can get it half price. Looking forward to mangling some sounds.
    A friend who has a modular synth pointed me at this handy guide created by the Muff Wiggler forum, which translates to Reaktor very nicely – The Book of Bad Ideas – http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI
  • That's superb, thank you. Will definitely try some of that out.
  • Scoping out new (to me) EQ, comp etc. pluggos as one does, just to keep abreast of the scene. I sort of stopped at the Isotope Ozone suite and PSP Vintage Warmer.

Anyone got a specific favourite to add to my pile of names?
  • I may have mentioned these a while ago but I really like some of the Variety of Sound plugins.

SlickEQ and SlickHDR are my faves, the EQ can be found here - http://www.tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs/. I used it heavily for a final major project, gonna buy the Gentleman's edition at some point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!