Dreams - by Media Molecule - Out now
‹ Previous123456711
  • The E3 trailer -

And this is from February 2013 -

dreams-ps4-screenshot-05.jpg

dreams-ps4-screenshot-01.jpg

dreams-ps4-screenshot-03.jpg

[Cross-posted from the E3 thread] -
    What we have here is something in which you can sculpt entire worlds using the Move controllers (and presumably Morpheus) and create pretty intricate animations and perhaps even entire games. I think we can at least expect to be able to create 'walk-em-ups' with it. Everything there is supposedly made within the game on a PS4, same as Littlebigplanet, though this should be far less restrictive.

Looking forward to this, want to go crazy making abstract artscapes....

Here is the game's website - http://dreams.mediamolecule.com/
    Dreams is a space where you go to play and experience the dreams of Media Molecule and our community. It’s also a space in which to create your own dreams, whether they’re games, art, films, music or anything in-between and beyond.
    :D

What is included in Early Access?
    Early Access is exactly that. Early entry into Dreams, designed for creators to get hands on with the tools. It won’t feature everything that the full release will have (our story mode being a big piece of that) but you’ll get our full tool set for creating, our interactive tutorials and arcade games, templates and additional content created by Media Molecule and access to what you, the CoMmunity, made during our Dreams Creator Beta. You’ll also be getting the first hands-on with new features and content as we add them.

When is Dreams Early Access launching?
    Dreams Early Access will be launching April 16th!

How much will Dreams Early Access cost?
    Dreams Early Access will cost £24.99/€29.99/$29.99/CAD$39.99.

What is the age rating for Dreams Creator Early Access?
    Dreams Creator Early Access is PEGI 12

Which territories will Dreams Early Access be available for?
    Initially, Dreams Early Access will be available in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and all European territories.

What languages will be supported by Dreams Early Access?
    At launch, Dreams Early Access will be in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian. We plan to implement more languages, such as Japanese, as Early Access progresses.

How do I participate in Dreams Early Access?
    That’s an easy one! You’ll be able to purchase Dreams Early Access from the PlayStation Store from 16th April 2019.

Can I pre-order Early Access?
    No, but you can sign up for updates here.

If I buy Dreams Early Access, does that mean I get access to the full version of the game when it’s released, without paying any extra/twice?
    Early Access is intended for Creators who will participate and contribute to Dreams Early Access, and in return, will have the full version of Dreams upon release.

….and when would that be? ;)
    Ooo, cheeky! We don’t have a release date for the full version of Dreams to share right now. But when we do, you’ll know about it! And then we’ll keep telling you. And then probably tell you another 5,672 times.

Will my Early Access / Beta creations carry over to the full game?
    Yes. Early Access is the launch of the creation tools of Dreams and this will then roll into the full version of the game.

Will Early Access include VR?
    Dreams VR is not included in the initial Early Access offering. It’s still planned for Dreams and we’re super excited for it. We’ll be sure to share more details about it as soon as we’re ready.

Is there any NDA for Early Access?
    No! You can stream, share and create to your hearts content.

How can I stay up to date on everything Dreams?
    We’ll update you on all things Dreams as and when new things happen! We’ll detail new features through blogs,
    streams and on our social channels, as well as on our feedback forums on indreams.me.

Is there a cap to Early Access? Is there a chance I won’t get in?
    Dreams Early Access is limited yes, but it’s a big limit. That being said, to avoid disappointment, we do recommend you purchase as soon as you can to enjoy all of the creator tools available.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/03/28/dreams-early-access-starts-on-16th-april/

• I thought it looked different, definitely interested.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Like the look of this type of game. I just can't be arsed to create anything myself.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Hopefully the full game allows you to recreate all of Mega City 01.
  • I think that exploring other player's creations in this is likely to be much more interesting than in the Littlebigplanets. In those games you had to do a bit of work to break away from the platformer template, in Dreams the baseline will be little abstracted sculptures, then more complex objects, dynamic objects, scenery, large intricate worlds, then entire games/films/etc.
    ce9c949d6c73dbfb889f6036bac022dd.gif

The scope is huge, but even the most basic and amateur little objects will probably have a sense of charm and take you into the creator's mind in some small way.
  • MM have this astounding ability to make beautiful looking games.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • The polar bears. If a game can get people to feel something interesting then I'm up for trying it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I've got something interesting you can feel.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I'm glad there doesn't appear to be a gimmicky mascot this time round. I didn't mind Sackboy really, but I think not having a single main character and story will help players to break free and make original creations.
  • I always found it odd that LBP didn't at least have some different template game styles you could select from. I settled for doing platform levels in the end because at the beginning it was too hard to work out anything else.

On the other hand, there's the possibility this could get too complex, to the point it takes ages to get anything done.

Interesting though.
  • JonB wrote:
    I always found it odd that LBP didn't at least have some different template game styles you could select from. I settled for doing platform levels in the end because at the beginning it was too hard to work out anything else. On the other hand, there's the possibility this could get too complex, to the point it takes ages to get anything done. Interesting though.

I suspect there was plenty of user-made templates out there, but you're right, some standard templates would have made sense.
  • An interview with Alex Evans about the game.

Seems there's going to be a beta sometime soon, don't have a PS4 myself though yet.

I liked these snippets -

"If you've just made a sculpture of a fingernail and uploaded it, it might be the best fingernail in the universe. Thousands of people are using the fingernail as a canopy for a gigantic building, or something. Who knows how it'll get used? That's the sort of 'everything is a remix' culture which I think gamers of today are completely fine with."
    "Dreams is much more exploration and MMO-like," he continued. "I want you to get lost in Dreams. Rather than constantly returning to a home screen; instead, it's more like Wikipedia. You search for cucumbers and you end up in Ohio farming and then you get to Batman.
    "The whole thing was done in about two weeks," Evans said. "We took some playable levels and some non-playable levels, basically a cross-section of the content that we had. For example, the polar bear sequence comes out of a snowboarding game crossed with a guy who was building this polar bear character for his daughter.
  • I'm really hoping the engine will lend itself to brutalist megastructures. Being able to scale objects up massively and use them in odd ways should be interesting.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Is this going to be Morpheus compatible?
    Get schwifty.
  • Very likely, yes. It would make a lot of sense being able to examine and sculpt stuff from various angles.

Might be a bit of a flagship Morpheus title in fact, would be a doddle to make some interesting Dear Esther a-likes.
  • Oh, I hadn't seen the intro bit to that E3 trailer, it shows the DS4 being used to create and control stuff -

This is a good article too.
    Evans elaborates on this: "You might be an FPS [first-person shooter] guy, so FPS is your entry. But as you're playing the FPS, you open the door and it's a fucking desert and you're in Journey. You walk out and then you're walking through the desert and then you see ... a spaceship and you climb into it. ... It sounds mad, but when you've framed it all as dream-like, actually you just get into it. The same way that when you're in an actual dream in real life, you don't question the fact that you walk out your house and you're in the middle of the beach. ... You know what I mean? That feeling."
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    This sounds shit. Like crazy but not in a good way.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Molyneux tier bollocks being spouted up there, fucking finger nails.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    That 'puppet' playing the piano in the E3 showing was genuinely one of the scariest things i've seen in a 'game'. Don't ask why, it just really disturbs me. lol!

As a concept, this seems almost limitless, which i suppose is the idea. An endless "dreamscape" filled with all sorts of weird shit that people have thought up, sculptured, animated, then remixed. As with anything like this, the user-created content will be 98% crap, and 2% genius. I'm happy to pay the entrance fee just to see what others can come up with and how far they can push/break the tools themselves. 

In short: i'm glad MM keep trying things like this, because no-one else is. Fair play to 'em.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Mostly it'll be used to create fields of cocks. Mostly.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Curtis wrote:
    In short: i'm glad MM keep trying things like this, because no-one else is. Fair play to 'em.

Yep, I agree with this overall - just don't think this particular one is the one for me.  I'd much rather their inventiveness than yet another FPS!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    For me my interest only begins with this if there is Morpheus support. Not for creating, unless the creation process is incredibly intuitive (judging by past experience with MM games I'm guessing it won't be) I'll leave the creation to those with the talent. But if I can soar through these created dreamscapes using Morpheus then I may just have to jump in on this VR fad.
    Get schwifty.
  • Molyneux tier bollocks being spouted up there, fucking finger nails.

Sure sounds like it, but this time I really want to believe! Watched that trailer a few times now. Looks utterly, totally bizarre but they've got a pretty decent pedigree behind them so it's not like they don't know how to make good games.

If it launches with Morpheus support (and surely its got to, right?) then this could well be the 'killer app' for VR. Well, for me at least.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • There's nothing odd about the fingernail comment, if they've made user friendly tools that work similarly to zbrush functionality then you can make absolutely anything you want

Would contest the making dear esther being easy, that game has amazing art that's time consuming however way you do it

The chances of this NOT being a Morpheus shoe-in are imo very small
  • Posted this in the techy thread a few weeks ago, a really interesting/baffling look at the techniques behind the creation of the engine -

Here's a look around their studio, some talk about the art style and a look an engine testbed which is pretty cool (18:50), showcases the tight/smooth thing and the physics mesh -

Another dev diary, this time showing lots of very cool early tech demo footage (starts 6 mins in), and answering some questions - http://www.twitch.tv/media_molecule/v/22031008

They'll be showing Dreams at Paris Games Week, apparently at 6:00PM Paris time on Tuesday. I'll definitely be tuning in. Can't wait to see what new details are shown, maybe summat official about VR support, presumably there will be some new info on the creation tools.

If they do a special edition of this with a making of DVD I'd definitely buy it, apparently they've totally rebuilt the engine since the E3 build and it was only just 'finished' 3 weeks ago.

LazyGunn wrote:
    Would contest the making dear esther being easy, that game has amazing art that's time consuming however way you do it.

TBF I said "Dear Esther a-likes", games where you would walk through interesting environs/experience a story/etc.

Making something with a similar level of detail and quality would obviously require some serious artistry, it does look like Dreams will at least make it relatively easy to create such a thing compared to learning and using a number of different pro softwares.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Shiiiitttt forgot this is coming out. Whoever is dealing to the mm office is obviously making bank.
  • Them big Cintiq tablets.....
  • This was actually pretty good -

Hype can be a wonderful thing.

• The full demo at PGW -

• But crucially, MM says, their work won't be stuck in their walled garden. Everything players make in Dreams can be exported -- to the game development platform Unity, for instance, or to 3D printers. If this works, Dreams (and the PS4) could instantly become one of the most creative tools in digital arts.
    !!!

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-10/28/dreams-media-molecule-ps4
  • New Twitch stream with a closer look at the game, and an extended creation session -

http://www.twitch.tv/media_molecule/v/23158010

(Go to 45:20 for the creation stuff, it's alpha but it still looks superb)
‹ Previous123456711

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!