Raspberry Pi
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Has anyone actually done anything with this except moan that it doesn't work and/or flog it on Ebay?

OK, so some of you have build little Lego houses for them.  Awesome.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Built.

Sorry.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • That is acceptable.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Phew.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yeah, has anyone done anything with these things?
  • I've not. Probably not going to either until the internet stops mucking about and makes it really easy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Mine stopped working as soon as I plugged my keyboard in.  This proved a slight hindrance.

There's since been a new OS release (raspbian or something), which I may try with.  Though my GC is now hogging my sole HDMI input, so I'm not sure I can be arsed any time too soon!
  • How'd you hook up the GC via HDMI? [also, why?]
  • I'm still waiting for mine. Think I've got about another 7 or 8 weeks. 
    I will turn it into a media player or retro game machine. Probably the latter if I buy an Apple tv in the meantime. 

Also I'll plug it into my router and external HDD and use it as a file server. 

You'll see.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The gert-lush-machine (yep, I'm inventing my own name for it) is up for pre-order. May all your robot fantasies come true. Me I want one that pesters me when I have comms from my nearest & dearest, maybe an rgb led add a weighting to an total unread, oh yeah and know's when the front door gets opened which results in it investigating.

Also the Pi already has a load of libraries for LEGO NXT, or whatever the robotic LEGO stuff is. Do they have sensors as well as actuators in those LEGO kits?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    The most productive thing I've managed with mine is to introduce the new Raspian enabled, Lego encased self to a mate who is a high fallutin' electrical engineering professor. He appears to be such a rarified academic that he was entirely unaware of its existence (he fears sunlight...) but may well now get a batch for his Phd students to play with. 
    If this leads to a cure for stroke rehab then my Pi will have proved itself. As it is I was amazed I managed to get it even running after the first sd card was seemingly on the banned list. 

It still needs a lot of much cleverer nerds than I to compile some form of optimised Linux to make it a great deal more usable but hey it works in a laggy kind of way.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    We're trying to work out how we can introduce them to undergrads in september. They are tres bon. The engineering folks usually stay with commercial SCADA / building maintenance in research so expanding outside of a small device with low computational power would seeming cause some excite. Shame he doesn't listen to his PhD students, I can't believe they wouldn't have suggested them. Don't mean to sound funny then, as it may appear. It's a massive assumption but usually the correct one!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • So far I'm still hearing "er, nothing".
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I was as surprised as you Beano that he hadn't heard of Pi or similar really. You're getting less than 5% of the story I suspect as he's based down the coast and doesn't often get back to our nations fine capital. 

I'm still holding out for a great selection of optimised guff to appear on the Raspberry site as I have zero ability to fashion anything myself. It should be able to MAME or emulate something eventually but to date all ive got going is SCUMM if memory serves.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    How'd you hook up the GC via HDMI? [also, why?]

I meant Wii (which I'm using to play GC games).  I have a component->HDMI widget.  and they in fact (I think accidentally) sent a scart->HDMI widget with it too, so presumably could do so with actual GC too.

Why?  Cos my PC monitor doesn't have any aerial/component/... input... just VGA/HDMI/DVI.  Pain in the ass really.
  • I got my Raspberry Pi a couple days ago. I've got Raspian on it and so far I've started trying to learn Python and write a game. Only trouble is there seems to be a lot of different flavours of Python and some of the lines of code are compatible with the version I have.

I've also been trying to brush up on my Terminal line code and it's actually already helped me out at work which is kinda why I did it.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • What does Raspian have installed? Python 2.7 or 3?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    What does Raspian have installed? Python 2.7 or 3?

Aye, that'll be the problem.

Also, I had to search for Raspian to find out what it was. I'm so happy such a thing exists. I should probably get out more...
  • I didn't get python on my raspian for some reason. I went into the terminal and had to do that apget thing to download it. In fact I barely got any software with it

• isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Raspian is still very much a alpha test case o far and needs a lot of opti,is taunt o get the gpu involved for the basic os stuff apparently. It was leggy as hell (but fully functional) when I turned it on as it has to run everything through the CPU. 
    Hope the support holds to keep it all going.
  • One of the guys I work with used to code. Hes planning on getting one and im trying to convince him to help me make a game. I ordered a 2nd one which I want to turn into a web server. 1. Just to see if I can and 2. So we could share work in an awesome non email way.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Every problem has forced me to learn something new. I have a us keyboard so had to go into a file in the terminal to sort it. Had to download python from there too. Now I'm trying to use my old Pascal skills with python.

The pi isn't for people that want a consumer product. It's for people that enjoy punching commands into a black and green screen and working out solutions.

Love it

• isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Indeed. He fun bits ir me so far have been all the biuggering about with distros and sd cards and whatnot to get it running. The fact that I've got a os up and a web browser have left me a bit cold now that the next stage is to take the dark plunge into hard nerding...
  • I want to get a handful of sd cards. That way I can have all the os's available for messing with. The only annoying thing is it can barely run a browser while python is open so searching for help has to be done on my netbook.

• isanbard wrote:
    Indeed. He fun bits ir me so far have been all the biuggering about with distros and sd cards and whatnot to get it running. The fact that I've got a os up and a web browser have left me a bit cold now that the next stage is to take the dark plunge into hard nerding...

Syntax error
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Heheh. Tapping out posts on an iPad with the power of gin is always a lottery. Oddly I think I can still work out most of the guff above. Don't drink and post kids..
    As I think I mentioned above somewhere the os/browsing/multitasking (Raspian is the best chance yet?) should get a lot more functional once the nerd army has had a bit more of a chance to optimise. 

Was thinking of getting another card to see how well the RaspMC thing works too. Slippery slope...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Scotswahey wrote:
    1. Just to see if I can

This is the best reason to get a RPi.

Heck, it's the best reason to do a lot of things.
  • Do you recon it's worth getting one of those 3quid heat sinks for the processor? Just ordered a case off eBay so hopefully it's not a typical eBay scam. Im going to hold off getting a slice of pi or gert board until I've got a better handle on the software side of things. God this is exciting stuff... Nobody in the real world understands me ,!

• Hey does anyone know where you can get the script to a complete game which will work on Geanie? I've been looking all over the internet but cant seem to find any code that doesnt go beyond printing "hello world" on the screen.

I'd like to see how a complete game is written so I can work out which each bit of code does and figure out a way of changing it myself. So far the Rapsberry forum is useless and wiki has nothing.

Can anyone help?

• Running XBMC on it at my house.  Awesome little thing.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!