Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Actually, I think the Vintage Warmer is about the only plug I use regularly. I used to have a whole pile of them but I realised I didn't know how to use half of them and was spending more time trying to figure them out than doing anything else. There was a one knob filter I used to like but I forget the name of it. Big Gold Knob, or Big Knob Filter or something. I forget.
  • Pissed around with Serum today. It's definitely a synthesizer.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    After some fucking about with it, I had to cough up for the Scuffham thing - couldn't go back to Guitar Rig. Fuck you Brooks for costing me money. Or maybe thank you, I mean.Tunes as and when.
  • I'd gloat but you've suffered enough.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Big Knob Filter

Google safe search recommended

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I remember now - it was The Big Knob (tbk)
    03ec9eed8e85347ea50fe030225de196_full.jpg
  • Not sure if this is the right thread BUT:

I'm getting married in 2017 and am thinking of putting together a playlist, but I want to do it properly and edit the songs, mix them or whatever. Is there a straightforward programme that I can load MP3s into , then choose the order and mix them?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Haha, well that's handy I was just looking fur this thread to ask a similar question. To my mind the front runners are VirtualDJ, Serato, Traktor and Ableton Live. Despite the name I think I'll have Ableton on but not too sure about mixing live with it, but more than happy to use our to build mixes before the fact. Just wondered anyone else's views, I'll be playing mostly punk, indie and electronica, would like to fuck it around proper
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yeah it wouldn't be a live mix, something I'd do at home and then just press play on
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • If you just want to fade between tracks you can use a freeware multi-channel audio editor - e.g. Audacity or Garageband.

If you want it beatmixed, you might want to look at an old copy of Acid or find a cheap copy of Ableton, as the trickiest/most laborious part is laying out the beat grids, especially for any live/non-electronic music with a fluctuating tempo.
  • Just managed to make a very basic little stereo to mid-side converter and level control in Reaktor.

JhFoHBd.jpg

I'm very pleasantly surprised that it's been so simple and easy to make, I used the formula from here-

Mid = (left + right) –3dB
    Side = (left – right) –3dB
    Left = (mid + side) –3dB
    Right = (mid – side) –3dB

This is the first step to remaking this little beauty -

Hopefully it's not too ambitious for a first Reaktor project. :)
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Just managed to make a very basic little stereo to mid-side converter and level control in Reaktor. JhFoHBd.jpg   I'm very pleasantly surprised that it's been so simple and easy to make, I used the formula from here- Mid = (left + right) –3dB Side = (left – right) –3dB Left = (mid + side) –3dB Right = (mid – side) –3dB This is the first step to remaking this little beauty - Hopefully it's not too ambitious for a first Reaktor project. :)
    Nice! Good to see you're giving Reaktor a go :D
    I've not really got into the building stuff from scratch bit yet (aside from a couple of basic tutorials) – mostly playing with all the modular Blocks stuff (which still requires plenty of building and patching). Absolutely loving it all so far.
  • Looking into Sound Radix's nifty stuff. The Drum Leveler seems like a smarter way to do compression/expansion in digital.

Quick aside: Any of you lot done any recording with binaural mics-as-ears setups? For the audience's ear view sorta scheme.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    lw59ENV.png
    Semi generative mess.

Which sounds like this (warning, it starts LOUD).

https://soundcloud.com/jme-osc/mod_2
  • I like that! :) Have you seen NI's "Eliane" Blocks patch they gave away in the latest update? It might interest you.

This is where I'm at with the MS spatial processor -
    ZT0QacI.jpg
    I've got the Depth (feeds the sides into the mids) and the Zoom (feeds the mids into the sides) controls working, though I've had to shift those channels along with a very short delay to avoid phase issues (in certain knob positions the stereo was getting slewed crazily on one side). Not sure if there's something fundamental I'm doing wrong there or if that's how Mathew Lane has done it, sounds pretty alright anyway and it has the desired effect. All I have to do now is add each channel's EQs and buttons and stuff, shouldn't be too difficult, though I'm not quite sure how to do the autogain circuit just yet.

At some point I want to try and do some stuff similar to Aleksi Perälä's Colundi Sequence project in Reaktor. An interview.

Brooks wrote:
    Quick aside: Any of you lot done any recording with binaural mics-as-ears setups? For the audience's ear view sorta scheme.

I will be doing that as soon as my uni gets a pair they've apparently ordered (Soundman OKMs I think), I've been bugging them about it for ages. Cannot wait, gonna do some field recording initially, they're going to get a dummy head too.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I like that! :) Have you seen NI's "Eliane" Blocks patch they gave away in the latest update? It might interest you.

At some point I want to try and do some stuff similar to Aleksi Perälä's Colundi Sequence project in Reaktor. An interview.
    Not got the update yet, will check it soon. Grabbed the Blocks Wired freebie though – nice West Coast style modules (Buchla inspired stuff). Good work on the spatial processor, wish all this stuff was out when I was at uni...

That Colundi stuff sounds great too.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Actually, let me rephrase that.

Colundi stuff sounds nuts!

Alternative tunings sound fascinating but the mystical stuff in that interview is hilarious. Sounds like Aphex/Rephlex trolling at its finest :)
  • The spatial processor is complete!

IIFxXS9.jpg

Nearly anyway, still need to work out how to make a little autogain circuit, have to level match manually for the time being.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Awesome.

Found a microtuning patch but would require considerable hacking to do Condalundi type stuff. Good starting point I reckon though!
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/393/
  • Fucking around with monitor mimicking for headphone playback. Handy as.

Did however made me realise I genuinely prefer listening to music on cans in basically any circumstance.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Not sure if this is the right thread BUT:

I'm getting married in 2017 and am thinking of putting together a playlist, but I want to do it properly and edit the songs, mix them or whatever. Is there a straightforward programme that I can load MP3s into , then choose the order and mix them?

Just saw this here, might be of use -

http://mixxx.org/

This might be worth a look too - https://rekordbox.com/en/

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Had a play with this yesterday

FB_IMG_1451301556301_zpsykxhdmrf.jpg

Homemade 15" sub kick, never heard of them before, simple concept, wire a speaker cone backwards mount in a shell and use as a bottom end mic. Certainly adds depth but you need a hefty system to hear/feel it. Like the concept though, would use live in 150+ cap rooms
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Most are nowhere near that big, because it takes so much to move it, but was a geeky present to an engineer friend of mine
  • To all the deejays -

I'm gonna try and get into making mixes and I've been checking out controllers and software. At the moment Serato DJ is half price at £43.74 (I think until tomorrow, or midnight :/ ).

I haven't got a controller yet but should I perhaps jump on that deal anyway? I'll see if I can try out the demo and just use my mouse and NanoKontrol to see how it is, just wondering if anyone uses it or recommends anything else?
  • Can't you just steal Traktor like a normal person?
  • I'm not a fan of nicked versions of software generally, my past attempts have usually been a right hassle, like when I tried to get Battery 4 working and it was just a big waste of time. But I think probably will end up getting a version of Traktor or summat off of someone at uni, seems like there's some possible issues with the controller I've been looking at getting for Serato DJ, so I shan't bother with it for now.
  • Were it not for nickable software I'm not sure how any of these music tech corps would be able to recruit sufficiently robust staff at entry level tbqfh.

Anyway, the expectation of gratis can be an issue. I'm trying to get into Nebula 3 driven stuff at the moment (because it seems genuinely remarkable at mimicking classic gear) but the straight up VSTs Acustica do themselves are yet to be cracked, gah.
  • More important than the software is the hardware controller IMHO - unless you've got decks already and are going DVS.
    I favour serato over traktor simply for te flexible beat grids, as I want to use live tunes rather than strict tempo.
    Most decent controllers will come with serato dj (or the cutdown intro version, which is reasonably cheap to upgrade to full dj frm) or traktor already. Bear in mind serato's price plan these days is for fx packs and plugins, so the main software is generally reasonably affordable and they do regular offers.
  • Apropos, I'm basically entirely indifferent to live mixing these days, and would quite gladly go clubbing where the jockbox was completely invisible.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!