Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • I_R wrote:
    I think Jeb is the 'moderate' candidate. They don't really seem to have a way to push him further though, endorsements and a big war chest haven't worked so far.

He was supposed to be. But his early performance was of a man who had forgotten how all this worked. He really pulled it together without the shadow of Trump at the last debate though, so he may well be the man that they rally around.

He's really focused on New Hampshire, so if he does really well there, (and some may drop out before to improve his chances) then he could very well kick on from there.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    The problem is, the only chance the republicans have is if they go with trump. If they ditch him and he runs as an independent then he will take 20 or 30% of their vote, meaning the have no chance of winning.
    The only chance the Republicans have is if they don't go for Trump. He's pretty much alienated 30% of the voting population (those troublesome non-white ones) and without picking up some of them, his chances are minimal.
    Blacks and Hispanics, in fact, even support Trump at a higher level than whites.
    This poll is on the high end with 40% of black voters and 45% of Hispanics. I've seen another that puts Trump support among black voters at 25% but that's still fucking good for a Republican. ]http://www.wnd.com/2015/12/minorities-line-up-behind-donald-trump/
    Like others have said that's Republican candidates only. He won't get near 40% of black voters.
    No he won't, but some polls are saying 25% of black voters would support him, that's more than triple the typival number of black republicans. I've talked to a lot of trump supporters and they're not all like I expected.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They're all a bit fucking thick though yeah?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The thing that really got me, from the docu, was the black gospel preacher Trump had for his warm up at rallys. Praising god, when it's obvs. Trump doesn't have an ounce of religious faith in him.

I really enjoyed him being referred to as The Donald though.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • The bulk of them are the idiots and racists you might expect but it's broader than that. I thought he was just a meme candidate at first that was running to say things that the"real" candidates couldn't bring up. But I learned early on that he wasn't just one of those X-Factor contestants that keeps being voted up for lulz. People genuinely thought he would be the best person to run the most powerful country in the world.

He's done something with The Apprentice, his seminars and his university that a lot of con-artists and prophets do. He's presented a life that people would like and then positioned himself as the gatekeeper.

He's talked up people's fears and positioned himself as the protector.

His money gives him a few advantages. It's seen as evidence of his competence as a businessman that could get a good deal in international negotiations, and it means he isn't in the pocket of big corporations like some of the other candidates are. Even Romney with his hundreds of millions of dollars and his binders full of women couldn't boast that.

He's also an outsider to a Washington political class that people just don't trust.

If things carry on exactly as they are then he will probably win the Rep nomination then definitely get beat by Hillary. But if there's another scandal in the Hillary camp and Bernie gets the Dem vote, or there's a big terrorist attack in the run up to the election, then I seriously think Trump could be the next president of the USA.
  • Gonna have to watch that doc.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    CEO (mayber) of Marvel (yes, comics) paid a cool million to co-fund the veterans thing Trump did instead of the Rep. debate- which is a bit jarring.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • I saw that via one of the writers/artists saying they were leaving.
  • If Trump gets the nomination, I'd wager a fair sum on there being some scandal involving him getting a load of coverage.
  • American TV stations don't have to be balanced in their coverage like they do in UK.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But their newspapers do, unlike the UK.
  • That's pretty good going but I don't think newspapers have as much sway as TV. I could be wrong on that. I haven't looked into it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It was more of an interesting fact than a commentary on anything relating to Trump.
  • And thanks for that. I might have lived out my whole life not knowing.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    American TV stations don't have to be balanced in their coverage like they do in UK.

You misunderstand. There will be some skeletons in his cupboard that will get a lot of coverage. Cosbyesque, hopefully.
  • He's Teflon. It would be spun in his favour somehow.
  • It will be interesting how the media cover Clinton.
    We know everything there is to know. She has already been dragged through every political and personal shit ditch.
  • They will probably go back to Benghazi.
  • They will probably use Lewinsky. They are that low.
    Also Lewinsky was in my phone's dictionary.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He's Teflon. It would be spun in his favour somehow.

Or he will just do this and everything will be fine again.

giphy.gif
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    "Hey, hey! What can I say? I'm a red blood kinda guy. It's not like she didn't enjoy it".
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    "Yeah, exactly. You know. Not these guys, these dishonest journalists. These scum of the earth. You guys know what I'm saying because I tell it how it is, and they don't like it".
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Hang about, there's not a Trump uni, is there, right?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
  • Trump the candidate just seems like a total commitment to American Arseholedom, all those stereotypes of Yanks being rude, heedless, willful, projected without compromise. That absence of filter is arresting. Not tough to grasp why that would be compelling in an era of broad socio-economic insecurity.

The analogue to me is Berlusconi.

As I simply don't trust humans en masse to be very switched on, I can fully see the guy winning the mandate. These people put Bush in office for two terms.
  • Iowa results

Rep

Cruz ----> 29
    Trump --> 25
    Rubio ---> 21

Dem

Clinton --> 51
    Sanders -> 49
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Very interesting. Shit just got real.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I mean, it was always going to be the case, as with these things. Cf farage here, it's fun and generates sales / clicks to write about what wacky trump says, and hes got the added cache in the uk of being known and a bit involved in Scotland.so, it seems like he's the guy out there doing it all. However, I'm not sure there were real considerations among republicans that he'd be an actual candidate. Cruz has been quietly canvassing iowa for the past few weeks while trump has been floating about in his moonship.

Of course, the fear is that Cruz loves them evangelicals and will now harness their power in the southern state primaries.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    However, I'm not sure there were real considerations among republicans that he'd be an actual candidate.

The polling suggests otherwise.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!