Twice the magic that started it all

Tragic portrait of an artist tortured

Trapped in his own drawings

Tap into thoughts

Blacker and darker than anything imaginable

Here goes a wild stab in the dark

As we pick up the last Mathers left off

I'm hype man.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Facewon wrote:
    It is interesting that people are going for vocal tone almost instead of content in some cases. I absolutely agree tone and voice is a must, just like singing, but when you're talking ALL TIME, I think I just have to go for content as well. I find that once you include the content caveat, and maybe think about career length, relevance and maybe number of good albums/songs/verses, the field gets whittled VERY quickly, IMO. Which may be as much a problem with the nature of Hip Hop albums/releases as anything. There's a heck of a lot of verses that are just kind of out there in the ether with no context. There's plenty of albums that are out there with the same raft of producers and same Blueprint.
    Which is why the only answer is not just Chuck D, but Public Enemy and The Bomb Squad. You just can't break them down into separate parts. The beats, the rhymes, the message, the attitude, the look.
    They were and still are the full package. Simply untouchable. Nobody else ever came close. 

everybody else? Suckas.

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    New mothers boss album.

Fuck the mase h8.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    A for o, yo.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    <insert D's turn-phrase>
  • g.man wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    It is interesting that people are going for vocal tone almost instead of content in some cases. I absolutely agree tone and voice is a must, just like singing, but when you're talking ALL TIME, I think I just have to go for content as well. I find that once you include the content caveat, and maybe think about career length, relevance and maybe number of good albums/songs/verses, the field gets whittled VERY quickly, IMO. Which may be as much a problem with the nature of Hip Hop albums/releases as anything. There's a heck of a lot of verses that are just kind of out there in the ether with no context. There's plenty of albums that are out there with the same raft of producers and same Blueprint.
    Which is why the only answer is not just Chuck D, but Public Enemy and The Bomb Squad. You just can't break them down into separate parts. The beats, the rhymes, the message, the attitude, the look.
    They were and still are the full package. Simply untouchable. Nobody else ever came close. 

everybody else? Suckas.

g.man

YES. PE are up there with my all time favourites in any genre. Mista Chuck is pretty much unbeatable in my opinion - he's excluded from my list cos it goes without saying really. Night train is the reason I got into hip hop, after many years of being exclusively into metal. That you can hear him breathing in between lines and just going for it is one of the reasons he's my GOAT. Content, delivery and the best beats of any group.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Mista Chuck is pretty much unbeatable in my opinion...

Aye... G's right.

Very few people have done as much as Public Enemy (particularly Chuck), with any arform... Let alone one that had only been founded just a decade before they took to it.

I'm still not picking a top 5 though. But I will respect anyone putting Eminem into such a list, because he's not a total prick, and he's changed the face of the entire music industry.

So I respect him for that.

Anyway. For the lols, almost 13 years on, and with all the Youtube poop out there, what do you now make of this?:

JayZ wrote:
    I said thou shalt not fuck with raw me, or he
    Face a thousand deaths from Mr. Shawn Correy
    Carter, rap harder like I'm part of a cult
    Like Cuban cigar maker 'cept I'm hard to smoke

#Trollface
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Another vote for Dose One as possibly the most unique and innovative MC around, Dizzee Rascal for the awesome Boy in Da Corner, not to mention Showtime which was properly good as well (apart from Happy Talk), and the Streets for Original Pirate Material which is as close as I've ever come to hearing my life (at that time) being put to music.

I'm also amazed we're on the third page and no-one's mentioned Missy Elliott yet.

Not sure who I'd pick as a fifth. Cannibal Ox is made up of two MCs, but the Cold Vein is just incredible, possibly the finest hip hop album ever recorded. Their producer on that, El-P has produced some amazing moments himself (Stepfather Factory will be added to a B&B playlist when I find an excuse for it). For vocal tone; Del tha Funkee Homosapien and Blurum 13 are both artists I could listen to forever, but probably aren't quite well-rounded enough to make the list. Sole and Pedestrian both deserve honourable mentions as well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ooh, MIA is pretty damn good as well.
  • Holy shit someone else who has The Cold Vein. Phenomenal album.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Here's mine, with youtube clips to come later. Blackthought

Jay Z 

Mos Def [Also, Oh No, with P Munch and Nate Dogg.

Pharoahe Monch

Aesop Rock 

Talib Kweli (6th man award)

Chino XL 

Method Man

RA the Rugged Man

Royce Da 5'9

Joe Budden

Brother Ali

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • So I'll go with these:

Gift of Gab (Blackalicious)
    Kool Keith (Ultramagnetic MCs)
    Black Thought (The Roots)
    Guru (Gangstarr)
    Chali 2na (Jurassic 5)

But any of these would also do:
    Rakim, Master Ace, KRS ONE, Talib Kweli, Evidence (Dilated Peoples), Lord Finesse

And I must've forgotten a whole load of others.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'll just interject from the top fives and put this here as we're on about MCs.

• Eminem is making a late push for the top 5.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    no big daddy kane, biz markie, slick rick, 2 live crew etc?

i woulda had big daddy kane
    biz markie
    raekwon
    guru
    redman

il edit some vids in later.

@beano: im lovin marlow and shuffle t atm,
    dont flop has come a long way.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I got a lot of love for Big Daddy Kane and Kool G Rap, I'll grant you slick rick did some cool stuff, but I'm not sure he's aged particularly well. 

2 Live Crew have been and always will be fucking rubbish.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    2 live crew got a lot of love in my childhood....they were so fucking ridiculously ott.

i forgot to add public enemy....chuck d.

thought i woulda seen cypress hill by a few in here.
    masta ace is a great shout, funkdoobiest were also great at the time.
    no females on anyones list?
    mc lyte, little kim, eve or the awesome da brat!
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I'd give Lauryn Hill a shout for her stuff on the Score, her first solo and the couple of killer verses on Unplugged. 

I'd give Jean Grae props for being pretty awesome.

Lady of rage for one verse on Doggystyle.

Missy for excellent entertaining commercial stuff. 

Not sure after that.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yes. Jean Grae is sick. She shits on a load of rap artists, full stop.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • daviedigi wrote:
    no big daddy kane, biz markie, slick rick, 2 live crew etc?
    I was going to mention Slick Rick, then forgot when it came to it. Here's a thing:
  • Busta anyone?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Sometimes. He's got real skills and some great early work, but he's also done some proper shit.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Eminem is making a late push for the top 5.

Dude, you know he should be there.
  • I've just caught up on this (I avoided clicking because it seems I'm not cool enough to think of rappers as MCs, and assumed this would be a old-skool jungle thread).  

I tend to like rappers with speed, and I often find that smarts, specifically through wit, go a long way with me.  Some of the comments on tone are interesting - for example, Chali 2na has penned some decidedly average lyrics over the years, but his voice just slays me.  His verse on A Day at the Races is a good example of how his tone can eclipse equally competent lyricists.   

A list of my favourites would probably look something like this:

Lyrics Born
    Gift of the Gab
    Chali 2na
    Aesop Rock
    Abdominal
    Buck 65
    Black Thought
    Brother Ali
    Mr. Lif
    Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

I'm also an unashamedly huge fan of Bonethugs-n-Harmony, and I like Scroobius Pip, but find some of his lyrics a bit heavy handed.  

I've discussed this topic online before, and apparently that list, or the majority of it, makes me a 'backpacker'.  I'm sure I'm forgetting a major artist or two, and haven't mentioned plenty I like, but I'm pretty sure I've listed the cream of the crop for me.  Nicki Minaj is insanely talented but I'm close to giving up hope that she'll release a masterpiece of her own.  

Two examples of stuff that does it for me, both feat. Lyrics Born:

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    'Backpacker' is not a description to be ashamed of.

Incidentally, while we're here, how's about our worst MCs of all time? My list would look something like:

Bizarre from D-12 or whatever Eminem's crew was called.
    Robbie Williams (and he did it on more than one track)
    John Barnes (you're black, that means you can rap, right?)
  • Worst rapper you say?

painful

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Anyone using backpacker in an un-ironic way deserves a punch in the face.
  • JonB wrote:
    Sometimes. He's got real skills and some great early work, but he's also done some proper shit.

yeah, and I've always thought he actually struggles to come up with lyrics that fit what he's aiming to do. Some dudes who are aiming to rhyme fast manage to sneak in some awesome lyrics, he sounds too much like he has just whipped out the thesaurus.

Still, that first album is a cracker, and he's done some awesome cameos.
  • Worst rapper? Are we talking obviously worst or thinks they're great, are commercially successful but are actually shite?

Insane Clown Posse and Fred Durst spring to mind. How the fuck to magnets work anyway?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • What is this 'backpacker'?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!