No Man's Sky
  • I hadn't realised that. That certainly makes it more appealing.
  • Tbf it's a lovely community, most of the time. You can mix it up too, so if you get into bounty hunting you can play in open, and closed whilst cargoing or mining. Once you're exploring you'll want it open because it's a big galaxy out there and if you do come across someone in the middle of the galaxy it's rather amazing and incredibly rare. Many never make it out of the bubble.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Ive been playing a little bit lately. New game on ps5 and the new tv. They REALLY have upgraded the terrain generation and how this looks now. There are decent-sized mountains now!! And it looks fantastic. The HDR issue seems to be finally fixed. So amazing to look at in places. On the first system I jumped to I found a paradise moon. Its covered in a bright yellow/golden sort of grass that illuminates at night. Must upload some screenshots to twitter.
    E0qCwBgWQAEABpm?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

E0qCz9FX0AYkQkg?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

E0qDQo5WYAE5wff?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Prisms update launched today with many gfx improvements. And by fuck they fixed the night sky. Space looks vastly improved.
  • Prisms update launched today with many gfx improvements. And by fuck they fixed the night sky. Space looks vastly improved.

Yeh went to play it last night and an update popped up.
    About to restart again.
  • digi wrote:
    Prisms update launched today with many gfx improvements. And by fuck they fixed the night sky. Space looks vastly improved.
    Yeh went to play it last night and an update popped up. About to restart again.
    Restart again? I had to restart cos of the ps5. Just got my firs tfreigther last night after completing 5 warps. Game is looking really good now.
  • digi wrote:
    Prisms update launched today with many gfx improvements. And by fuck they fixed the night sky. Space looks vastly improved.
    Restart again? I had to restart cos of the ps5. Just got my firs tfreigther last night after completing 5 warps. Game is looking really good now.

Yeh iv just always restarted with the major updates like when it went full vr and when I got ps5.
    It was only like a week ago though so maybe I shouldn't this time.
  • digi wrote:
    Yeh iv just always restarted with the major updates like when it went full vr and when I got ps5. It was only like a week ago though so maybe I shouldn't this time.
    Yeah cos this isnt a feature update, from what I understand its just graphical. Fair balls to Hello Games, the shitty night sky was one of my bug bears from day one and they have really seriously improved it. The initial loading (flying through space) and warping seems way faster too.
  • digi wrote:
    Yeh iv just always restarted with the major updates like when it went full vr and when I got ps5. It was only like a week ago though so maybe I shouldn't this time.
    Yeah cos this isnt a feature update, from what I understand its just graphical. Fair balls to Hello Games, the shitty night sky was one of my bug bears from day one and they have really seriously improved it. The initial loading (flying through space) and warping seems way faster too.

Yeh everything is faster, more pretty, and there's just more everything.
    Audio work is amazing too, I shit myself when I heard a group of ships fly above me earlier.
  • Whats it like in VR these days? I keep forgetting to charge my wands
  • Whats it like in VR these days? I keep forgetting to charge my wands

I really enjoyed it last time I tried I used controller though as I found it easier to remember stuff.
    Haven't tried any vr since getting ps5 yet though.
  • I'm just hoping that it's more stable on Series S than it was previously. I could barely fly from one spot to another without the game crashing back to the home screen. It was unplayable.
  • digi wrote:
    Whats it like in VR these days? I keep forgetting to charge my wands

I really enjoyed it last time I tried I used controller though as I found it easier to remember stuff.
    Haven't tried any vr since getting ps5 yet though.

It keeps on making me sick in VR, though haven't tried since the last graphical updated
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • So, with the new update I've got my own Mos Eisley in the middle of the mushroom kingdom.
    I've also built a small castle for myself with the new building structures.

With all the towns and home decoration, this has become a bit like Animal Crossing in space.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I gave the new update a brief whirl and I bounced hard off it. I did an initial couple of tasks but then I chose a market to be built. A fucking 2 hour cooldown on it. Fuck that. On a normal playthrough I wont even be in the same star system in two hours. Yes, there is a portal in the mayor's office but still. Nah I think Ill relegate NMS to looking at amazing screenshots on t'internet
  • It's one confused game that's for sure.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The more they’ve added, the less fun I’ve found it.  It’s just too much like work now.  Started a new play through a couple of months ago and yeah, I bounced too.
    Get schwifty.
  • I do like that they've stuck with this thing, but I don't find myself terribly compelled by any of the new features as presented, no. Still feels like a context in search of an intrinsically engaging play loop. Still mostly want the kind of level design and variety of structures and entities that will still be well beyond the project. 

I like that you can judge your townfolk for their crimes though, that's novel.
  • The new settlement update just needs to generate some complete settlements on planets. That's it.
    That would be awesome. The more stuff they plonk down on planets the better. Give it some life.
    The recent graphics updates are fantastic also. But the game itself...
  • Despite the many claims of this being "good now" that I see on Reddit or YouTube, I'm still in the camp that it's pretty  but shit.

They add stuff to do but very little of it is enjoyable or has much purpose.   Millions of planets but they all have the same structures and activities.  Once you've played it for a few days, you've done everything that you're going to.

I uninstalled a while back and don't imagine reconsidering that.
  • Its a strange game. There is SOMETHING there, something that makes me feel the game is good, or should be good. But it isn't. 
    There are a few things I can put my finger on. Firstly the scale and the lack of proper solar motion. The lack of scale destroys the sense of travelling between planets to me. The freighters etc don't feel big. Elite does this right. Its quite scary sometimes the feeling of being so tiny.

Big thing for me though is the planetary generation. Its a bit shit. Ive I dunno at least 15 hours in my new ps5 save and probably over 20 on my ps4 save. Ive never once seen a river or a gorge. Ive not seen a desert planet (do they even exist?) all I see is a handful of way too similar general layouts of planets. There is no point exploring. None at all. When you warp to a system it should just light up your waypoints like a bloody AC game. Point me at downed freighters, settlements whatever. Its not fun to fly aimlessly around another barely unique planet.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Imagine keep coming back to the same game for five years when you don't think it's good? Amazing
  • Imagine keep coming back to the same game for five years when you don't think it's good? Amazing
    To be fair, Hello Games keeps adding hefty expansions to it. And like I said, there is a nugget of a good game in there. Somewhere.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's fair.

Here, have another bite of the shit sandwich, I put some other stuff in it
  • 'ninja's comments are pretty spot on to be fair. But I always say this about NMS: the game relies heavily on your ability to suspend your sense of disbelief. Last time I booted it up, I built a big space truck and pretended I was in that Moon film, excavating space rock. If you're prepared to erm...'roleplay' a bit, it can deliver.

I really hope the next expansion they bring out is a cataclysmic contraction of the Universe where space is rapidly shrinking, forcing players to eventually fight over that last bit of precious space rock on the last planet...
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I realise my comments may come across as...well miserable. But I'm coming from a place of wanting the game to succeed. Just some tweaks I think would help

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!