Fantasy Legislator
‹ Previous12
  • Make or break some laws. Can be small, serious, trivial, unrealistic, anything. List as many or as few as you like, to a degree of detail that suits your fancy. Share ideas or just shoot down other people's. 

I would like to:

- introduce a basic income
    - reform or disregard patents/copyright law 
    - control rents and phase in a tax on land and 3rd homes 
    - make philosophy part of the curriculum
    - limit private education, healthcare and justice institutions 
    - nationalise banking
    - get rid of the army, or at least most of it
    - introduce a transfer/sacking window for managers during the football season. It would be at the end only
  • ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think I'd have a seven year limit on both patents and copyright to encourage innovation and competition. I'd also ban the Daily Mail and summarily execute anyone who protests this decision.
  • - finance and introduce some sort of ombudsman or regulatory body to oversee crisp and corn snack labeling practices, which are currently shady at best. Few disappointments have i had more frequently in life than the one where i find out my 'Flaming Hot!' crisps are anything but.
  • 7 year limit on patents might be useful in some tech but the 20 year limit likely keeps the price down for drugs etc. (I'm not sure if it would but Presuming the same level of investment is required to make the money back the cost would need to go up - counterbalanced by generic versions being allowed to come in earlier)
  • The drugs costs are even lower with no patents at all.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But then there's no incentive to invest the money in creating them in the first place.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    7 year limit on patents might be useful in some tech but the 20 year limit likely keeps the price down for drugs etc. (I'm not sure if it would but Presuming the same level of investment is required to make the money back the cost would need to go up - counterbalanced by generic versions being allowed to come in earlier)

I can't imagine that it would end up raising costs. Possibly in the short term, but after seven years prices would fall very rapidly.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    - Fuck the royals off
    - Fuck party fundraising / donations off
    - Fuck unelected peers off
    - Fuck paying for the internet off
    - Fuck not being able to get internet off
    - Fuck separating infants and juniors into classes based on age off
    - Fuck religious practice in schools off
    - Fuck baptisms of under 18s off
    - Fuck arranged marriages off
    - Fuck my life
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Of course there is. Firstly, it'll be the capitalist countries footing plenty of the investment cost, while we cheaply clone it. And secondly, because it's universities doing so much of the work anyway, and that's something i'd hope to invest more in. 

Global capitalism's proven very successful at holding states to ransom when they try to implement leftist policies. This is a chance to balance things out a bit.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    - Fuck undemocratically elected council leaders off
    - Fuck decorational lord mayors off
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    - Fuck dickhead parents who refuse to allow their children to eat meat off
    - Fuck parents who leave hair straighteners on the floor and in reach of their kids off
  • I'd ban Manchester City from winning.
  • Mean-ass taxing on sugar-n-fat villains.

Affirmative-action quotas all over the place.

Some kind of global capital flight bottle-necking (they can move, but not quickly), probably related to surveys of social impact.

No more public space advertising.

Non-military national services programmes.

I can't think of any fun ones right now.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Of course there is. Firstly, it'll be the capitalist countries footing plenty of the investment cost, while we cheaply clone it.

Fair play, you didn't mention moving to a non-capitalist system in your OP.
    And secondly, because it's universities doing so much of the work anyway

Is it? I know that this is true for most scientific research, but drug companies do invest huge amounts of time and money into developing new drugs, I'd be surprised if Universities do more. Apart from anything else, clinical trials are very expensive and take a very long time to complete.
  • Earth Rights. Like human rights but for the Earth/our environment.
  • Brooks wrote:
    .. No more public space advertising. ...
    Heard Sao Paolo are trying this? Any idea how it's going down with the punters?
  • A decent alternative to money might be nice.
  • How do the Federation manage it?
  • Post-scarcity technology. Typical.
  • The robots will sort us out.
  • I'd like the Dollar to be tied to the value of gold again please. Global currency market operating as a FIAT system sucks all the chode.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian wrote:
    But then there's no incentive to invest the money in creating them in the first place.
    There's no incentive to invest money in creating drugs? What a strange thing to say. You must wonder how medicine ever got anywhere without patents.
  • Can I become rich, because I'll invest it in making drugs.
  • AJ wrote:
    A decent alternative to money might be mice.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    .. No more public space advertising. ...
    Heard Sao Paolo are trying this? Any idea how it's going down with the punters?

It looks cool, blank billboards to start with but culture is creeping in.

And yes...

- Fuck not heavily taxing added sugar off

• Roujin wrote:
    I'd like the Dollar to be tied to the value of gold again please. Global currency market operating as a FIAT system sucks all the chode.

Lol.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Mate, leveraging was always involved, it was never tied.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!