The drinking man’s thread
  • davyK wrote:
    Got some stilton in. Off mon and tue so the port will get an innings again after the Sunday lamb roast tomorrow.

Stock up on gout medication now!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Haha

I don't want to age anymore, a friend suffers with gout, sounds fucking terrible
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a cousin who has gout but he is a proper alco...  :(

Anyhoo.

Vat 19 is a Trinidad rum. It used to be really popular over here in NI and it's still a seller but I don't see it in pubs that much anymore now that rum is very much on trend and has been usurped by spiced Johnny come latelys. It's neither dark nor white - a red rum but quite light coloured. I used to drink A LOT of this in my 20s - went through a real Vat and Coke spell.  So I took a trip down memory lane on Monday (12th-13th being a holiday here) and I was pleasantly surprised. It goes great with Coke. I tend to drink rum straight or with firey ginger and lime nowadays.  But this and Coke are a great match. I had a few large ones before moving on the Hennessey again and it's a refreshing change. Really enjoyed it. I never saw this in GB but if you are looking for a rum for mixing with Coke I'd give this a try.

Vat19 is not to be confused with Vat69 which is a rotgut whisky my Dad used to drink.

Incidentally - Bacardi Oakheart is a splendid spiced rum - well worth a look and you fancy a change from Kraken or Captain Morgan et al. Great with Coke too.

I mentioned Brandy there. Opened a bottle that has been lurking at the back of my cabinet for years. I have no idea how I even got it. It's called Asbach Uralt and it's German. It's 38% abv so a bit light for Brandy. Very fruity nose and rather smooth. This isn't an expensive drink - it's a £25 bottle of Brandy but it's decent. I've read it's popular with soldiers who were stationed in West Germany. It has that quality of being cheap but decent and I could see myself in my younger days getting into it if there wasn't a reasonably priced alternative. But I suspect the hangover would be a killer - it just has that air to it. I've just tried a few shots straight and it's pleasing enough but Hennessey and Remy are far superior and more interesting.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My dad asks for Vat69 whisky every year. I'm usually up for giving people what they want for pressies but as it doesn't seem to be readily available the price is skewed for what it is. So for bdays/xmas/father's day my sister gets him that and I get him something snazzier, and he presumably prefers the rotgut.
  • Sounds interesting that Vat19 but discontinued by the looks of it, not even on the Amazon.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • OVD used to be the rum that you'd see here, used to get it everywhere. Will still be in most pubs, but more likely to sit on a shelf now than a 1.5L optic. I suspect Bacardi was the beginning of the end, that was an eye opener working in the trade, people who like that like it a lot.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm well confused by the Vat 19 chat because that's the name of an irritating YouTube channel that is geared towards selling tat to kids. Nate loves it, obviously
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Googled around and Belfast nostalgia forums say it was bottled locally which explains why I never saw it in GB. The bottler was bought up and it's discontinued. It seems it's now known as Butterfly Cane - might check that out while I still have my bottle for comparison - wonder how much I would have got locally if I hadn't opened it.....
  • lidl bordeaux, 5.99
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Made the mistake of picking up a cheap box of Bud from Aldi. Doesn't taste of anything, might as well have had 12 bottles of sparkling water, piss poor
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    One of the perks of our house move a few months ago has been a extra fridge that I’ve pretty much taken over and freshly stocked

TwtGAPg.jpg
  • I'd try everything once.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've tried that Salt before. Far too tasty for an 8% beer.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yeah, a fair few double IPA or imperial stouts with high percentages that are just too drinkable. Basically my stock for FNF when I make it.
  • Hell of a fridge, Cos! I spy some Salt in there, just down the road from me, great cruiser.

https://www.saltbeerfactory.co.uk/
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I always grab some Salt beers when I'm in Morrisons.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Aye, they’ve not disappointed yet.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I always grab some Salt beers when I'm in Morrisons.

Get yer ass to Bradders and I'll treat ye to the real thing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think this may be the first ever time I've been jealous of Cosby
  • Great fridge action - bonus point for not having any Brewdog.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Haven’t read much about what’s happening there recently but yeah, couldn’t support those shite practices.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I think this may be the first ever time I've been jealous of Cosby

This comforts me greatly.
  • Picked this up in our local supermarket.

0ys7ubg.jpg

And made this.

H7xGwWi.jpg

I’m a big fan of Flor de Caña rum, and this stuff did not disappoint. If you’ve ever wanted something like Kahlua but just better, this is it. And it’s only a shade over twenty quid in Tesco.
  • Ooooh, looks right up my street. Love a bit of the flor stuff.
  • Booze sale tomoz at our HQ. Big tings expected, doubt there'll be owt as lush as that FdC.
  • Full report on your choices tomorrow night please Webbins.
  • My body and wallet is ready.
  • poprock wrote:
    Picked this up in our local supermarket.

0ys7ubg.jpg

And made this.

H7xGwWi.jpg

I’m a big fan of Flor de Caña rum, and this stuff did not disappoint. If you’ve ever wanted something like Kahlua but just better, this is it. And it’s only a shade over twenty quid in Tesco.

I might get some of that for Christmas for white Russians.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good tip. Will try that out.
  • I've decided a negroni is my favourite drink ever. I discovered a love for cocktails quite late so it was probably only a year or so ago that I was saying the same thing about vodka & gin martinis, but negroni >martini for me now. I change the gin I use now and then, and assume Campari is essential, can someone recommend me a sweet/red vermouth (specifically for negronis)? I always use Martini Rosso, which comes out great, but it might be time to level up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!