The Linux geek thread
  • Ooh, look at that, you can pass more a file directly. Didn't know that. Okay, Hodge, in that case, (v) would just be:

more index.html

or

less index.html

or others, presumably.

Does that pscp command not require a target location, Muzzy? Or is there some default or prompt if it's not provided?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've given one - the "." at the end
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Which I concede may have looked like me ending my sentence lol
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    TIL demoggification
  • Ah, no, I just didn't see the dot.

Where's that going to point to? The PuTTY working directory?
  • Ignore that, I just realised it's a client application, not something the terminal captures and interprets (which, thinking about it, would have been a dumb feature anyway).
  • Thanks guys, none of this came up in the exam! Fortunately most of the stuff I crammed on the bus did.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Was there a question about how to delete an absolute shit load of files matching a wildcard pattern? That's always a fun gotcha which I can never remember the answer to.
  • After some thought, I've realised how dumb it is that I've always thought cat was short for catalogue; it doesn't even make sense.
  • No,only related question was "What's a Virtual Machine? Discuss your experience with a virtual machine during the year."
    Most of everything else I answered was dealing with CSS,SEO & PHP. Done my best to avoid JavaScript after shit experience.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Heh. Well, it's good knowledge to have, anyway.

I'm still torn as to whether I hate PHP or JavaScript more. Especially with PHP 7 and ES6. Sucks that they're the only languages I get to use, these days. I miss ActionScript, that was fucking lovely to work with.

Amusing aside: interviewed a guy come in for a middle-weight PHP developer role the other day. Dude couldn't define the keywords final and abstract when asked.
  • Its funny coz the more they discussed PHP, the more I got my head around the JavaScript. I suggested they look at that in the end of year review.
    I've a module dedicated to Java to do so no doubt I'll be looking for more help.
    Hmm, I shall Google abstract and final to learn something new tomorrow. Thanks AJ!
  • Very important OOP terms if you're writing libraries or working on large code bases. The difference between static and self is another one I like to ask. ;)

I've looked into learning Java properly a few times, but shit like .equals() always puts me off.
  • My RHCSA study isnt going to plan. Missus pregnancy is playing a part. Got part2 of my RHCSA course in a few weeks (4 dayer + 1 day for exam). Will give it my best shot but im not overly optimistic. Just way behind on my study schedule.
  • Good luck Dino! I had a study schedule once but then the Xmas break came and it all went out the window. You'll be grand.
  • I'm grabbing Linux distros to try out in order to see which I want to use for my work (web development) desktop. I've got Fedora, Mint and CentOS so far; any recommendations of others I should try? My prime concerns are that I don't have to fuck about when installing and configuring it and I like the way it looks/works out of the box (or with absolutely minimal effort equivalent to picking a theme).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Terminal only ftw
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    I'm grabbing Linux distros to try out in order to see which I want to use for my work (web development) desktop. I've got Fedora, Mint and CentOS so far; any recommendations of others I should try? My prime concerns are that I don't have to fuck about when installing and configuring it and I like the way it looks/works out of the box (or with absolutely minimal effort equivalent to picking a theme).

Ubuntu or Debian for me.

I find it hard to get on with any package manager that isn't Aptitude. 
    I tried Arch for a bit on a Pi, but Pacman drove me mad. So little available in the way of packaged software when compared to Apt.

You could always get around that by installing stuff from source, but installing stuff for source is an invariably thankless task.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • That's covered by Mint, being a fork of Ubuntu, isn't it?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    That's covered by Mint, being a fork of Ubuntu, isn't it?

Oh man, let's not start that discussion. That way madness lies.

I've always wanted to try Elementary. Full disclosure, it's also based on Ubuntu. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Eh? I meant I assumed they're using the same package manager, I've no idea what discussion you're talking about.
  • My exam has been pushed back to November now. Because of the baby. There was no way i could have been ready for this friday when i was either at work or at hospital for the past 12 days.
  • Anyone know if there's a desktop environment that does the same thing as the big boys of combining the running apps and shortcut icons? I like that and the ones I've tried so far have fallen short.
  • XFCE does lots of things well and it pretty stable. I like it better than KDE and Gnome. I'm not sure it does exactly what you need, though.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • That's got there separate launcher icons, unfortunately. Playing around for a few minutes this morning, KDE does it, but doesn't seem to want to switch to a dark theme.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Eh? I meant I assumed they're using the same package manager, I've no idea what discussion you're talking about.

"Distro A is a fork of distro B, therefore distro A and B are the same" is the start of many a flame war. Not that you were saying that, my joke just missed it's mark.

Another vote for XFCE. It's been a long time since I used a Linux-based OS as my main OS, but when I did it ran XFCE and it was top. Simple without being ugly, powerful without being overwhelming.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I found XFCE confusing and clunky, when I tried it. I'll probably give it another go, just in case, but I'm feeling either Cinamon (Mint's fork of GNOME) or KDE, at the moment. Is there, perhaps some way to load in different panel frameworks to the environments or something?

This thread is literally the only thing I read where people talk about Linux so, yeah, that joke went way over my head.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'd rate them Xfce > Gnome > KDE, but last time I ran a Linux distro in anger it was at least a decade ago.
  • Just tried Elemetary. Didn't like it. Looks like an amateurish rip-off of OS X, feels like an amateurish rip-off of OS X.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!