The Linux geek thread
  • Fucking hell, there really is too much choice of Distros and things. I've settled on something Debian based using KDE Plasma and I've still got several well-known options to pick from. Debian? Ubuntu? Mint? It's just silly. Maybe I should just go for Ubuntu as it's got commercial backing.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    You can really go down the rabbit hole when you start looking into distros. Too often, instead of joining an extant project, people just go off and create their own.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yeah, that's not a path I'm ever going down. I'd probably end up with a web-based GUI that remotely builds everything from the ground up, or something equally as stupid.

Any idea how close a VM running a live CD would be to a real install? KDE was a bit glitchy on Ubuntu, which would make the decision easier, but I don't know if that's just a side effect of how I'm testing.
  • I last used VMs in 2009 when I had to edit some .doc files. I also had an XP VM to play Civ 3.
    I used Virtualbox if I'm not mistaken. I only had a Celeron processor with 2GB of ram, but I don't think I ran into any serious issues. With fullscreen mode it was hard to tell it was a VM.
    The new CPUs are supposed to be optimized for this kind of thing, so I guess you'll be fine.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • So, Debian setup lets you leave the root password blank, but not the user password. That seems a bit backwards.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'm reporting AJ to GCHQ.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I would have left them both blank, if I could have...

Anyway, I was looking up encryption last night, so they probably already know about me.
  • Time to put a Linux distro onto a partition on my SSD, thinking of Mint/Cinnamon for now.

How much space do most of yous end up using for a Linux install including various programs and stuff? I've got other drives for media, vids and music and such. Just want to figure out how much space to set aside for nippy loading of programs on this NVME SSD, without taking too much from Windows' C:.

Got a 500GB drive, thinking probably no more than 100GB, maybe 40GB would be plenty.
  • I put Linux on an old WinXP laptop that only has a 32gb drive. Suppose it depends how many programs you plan installing.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Aye, I won't be putting a huge amount on there probably, mainly productivity/creativity stuff, Blender and other things. Just want a little room to grow into, plus some space for active projects I'll be working on. Might go for 60GB..
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Here's a turn up for the books. Messing around online when I probably could have been doing something productive, I found PureOS and Purism. The former is a privacy-focused Linux-based OS, and the latter is a hardware company that makes laptops that come preinstalled with PureOS.

What's noteworthy about both is that the OS has FSF approval (i.e, it's fully free/libre open source software) and doesn't look like ass, and the laptops are user upgradeable and also don't look like ass. There are, of course, other OSs with FSF approval and other companies have made their own hardware and chosen to put a Linux-based OS on it by default, but they've always been a wee bit fugly. The websites in each case also tend to look like they've been handwritten in HTML by a raging neckbeard, and are impenetrable to anyone not fluent in nerd. Stuff like gNewSense also look like you need a doctorate in computer science to be able to use them - 'user friendly' is not in these people's vocabulary. I remember early screenshots of Ututo S, and it looked like Windows 95's uglier sibling.

So, major caveat time, Pure OS is in beta, so expect bugs. Distro Watch is littered with projects with high aims that are now just ghosts. And I haven't used the hardware, so maybe it looks pretty, and yeah you can upgrade the innards, but said innards are shite and the laptops have a worrying tendency to burst into flames, or summat. But it doesn't look like they do. And if the OS side of the equation ends up as abandonware, your shiny new laptop should be more than capable of running another OS. (Maybe even Windows if you're feeling kinky.) PureOS is Debian based, like Ubuntu et al., so it can't be total wank.
  • What a time to be alive!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've been tracking purism for about a year now. They look promising. The hardware has decent reviews too, if a little on the expensive side. I briefly played with pure OS as a Vm but couldn't configure it properly in the time I had and never got back around to sorting it out.
  • Re partition sizes on Linux, my / is 40% full and it's not even 20 GiB. I have another partition for documents, music, and the rest. So I think 60 GiB is more than enough for an OS partition.
  • Cheers, yeah I thought that should probably be enough for most things.

Still having a really miserable time attempting to get a working dual boot system with Windows 10, every single time I've tried with a variety of distros it all just seems to end up bollocksed. Been trying over the last few weeks with my laptop too. Trying really hard to follow the tutorials and understand what is going on, but it all gets fucked up anyway, think it's bootloader trouble, possibly some BIOS settings though I have set them correctly AFAICT. I'm sure I'll get there eventually :/

Got a Clonezilla image of my Fresh Windows install with all programs I need, to save me a bunch of time anyway :)
  • Got a dual boot setup working finally, using Kubuntu currently.

Some annoying quirks to it, odd issues with screen tear and stuff that may or may not be solved now. Some of the text and fonts look super odd too, like on this page for example, deffo not the same font as running this site on Firefox on Windows. Probably have to install a font pack or configure some shit.

Really not wild about the alt-tab behaviour either, and there's some issue with using a dual monitor setup it seems. May end up switching to something else if I can't resolve these, probably will have the same issues -_-
  • You can now play your Windows-exclusive Steam games on Linux! It works automatically and hopefully you won't even notice you're running a Wine derivative (Proton). I tried it with 3 games and they were fine, achievements and all. Pretty simple 2D games, but still.
  • Very smart move from Valve.
    Will be interesting to see how this develops.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • https://spcr.netlify.com
    A cool database that tells you which games work and which don't
  • 1204 completely stable.

With this strategy Valve can encroach the mythical 100% back compatibility with windows. Might come in handy if and when Valve is forced to pull back to SteamOS due to Microsoft's windows/Xbox overarching uwp scheme.
  • So, while the Linux Mint folder icons are nice, all the other icons are fucking ugly. Anyone know of some nice/simple/flat icon packs I could try? Using a dark theme, if that's relevant.
  • I really like Breeze Dark. Also, give Lato (font) a try
  • The blue folders are a bit bright, but the app icons look alright. Thanks. I'll see if I can get it installed for a test run.
  • Linux gurus some help please!

1. Is there a limit to how many time servers you can have in the ntpd file?

2. will it auto failover to the next one if the primary (one with asterix) can't be contacted?

3. if the linux servers are getting their time from a windows pdc and that is temporarily unavailable will it go to the next windows domian controller listed as a time server?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not aware of a limit, but not do it think it's common to have more than a few. Can you use DNS at all to put the multiplexing elsewhere??

Yeah the normal pattern is falling back to the others. I think it starts some chatter with them before the first one ceases to be contactable, eg choosing the one with lowest RTT?? There's also the concept of stratum in terms of a clock's quality but I can't remember where that fits in. If there are upstream links it likely depends on how the next hop server responds to that - if it keeps serving up NTP responses then there's no way to know it's list sync, unless the NTP response somehow indicates this, which maybe it does actually? Bleurgh you may need to go read the standards (which aren't Linux specific)...
  • Cheers Muzzy. Had to move the pdc role earlier for patching and the Linux servers whose ntp was pointing to that pdc won't trust the pdc anymore (back on the same dc). I thought it would failover to the next time server (dc) on its list but it didn't. Restarted ntpd daemon and tried a resynch but to no avail.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm. There's ntpq or something that can give more info out? ntpdq maybe? What are you using to think it's not using it any more, more than just comparing times I take it? Slew etc can make life complicated.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    https://linux.die.net/man/5/ntp.conf

Any min/max poll or TTL set? Port 53 still open? Configured as servers or peers?
  • I'll have a look on monday, hopefully they will be syncing again, if not im in for a wonderful day. thanks for the advice
  • Just installed Xubuntu 20.04 on an ancient mbair 2008 for the brother in law. And.... everything works, even the wifi. Fuck me, this upgrade is slick. Better than being stuck in snow leopard limbo.

Will do as a refurbished laptop for administrative purposes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!