Star Citizen
‹ Previous123456
  • A place to talk about Star Citizen! Anyone else here have it? Anyone waiting for full release?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Original pitch video

Starmap

Squadron 42 Cast:
    Gary Oldman | Mark Hamill | Mark Strong | John Rhys-Davies | Jack Huston | Ben Mendelsohn
    Andy Serkis | Harry Treadaway | Liam Cunningham | Rhona Mitra | Ian Duncan | Sophie Wu |
    Gemma Whelan | Craig Fairbrass | Gillian Anderson

Gary Oldman interview

Ship commercials:
    Aurora
    300i | Directors Cut
    315p | 325a | 350r
    Hornet
    Freelancer
    Constellation |
    Cutlass
    Mustang
    m50 - Galactic Gear

10 for the chairman:
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 |
    11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
    21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 2829 | 30 |
    31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | Special | 36 | 37 | 38 |
    39 | 40 | 41 | 42434445464748 |
    49505152535455565758 |
    59606162636465 | 6667 |

10 for the...
    Producers: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ? | 8 | 9
    Designers: 123 | 4 | 5
    Writers: 1 | 23 | 4 | 5
    Artists: 12 | 3 | 4

First look at multi crewed fighting in the constellation from gamescon 2014:

CitizenCon 2014 Persistent Universe Demo:

Gamerscom 2015 Multicrew demo:

Press version

Citizencon 2015 Alpha 2 Live demo:

Press version

Citizencon 2015 Squadron 42 intro gameplay:

Other stuff:
    Fps Teaser | New Hangers | Racing |
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Seen things Skerret wouldn't believe.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    [don't do this business]
  • Does this mean I done it wrong?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    [don't do this business]
    Good call.

Tres amaze le pie.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Does this mean I done it wrong?
    No you dun it rite, that was aimed at I.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Well fuck me. Those screens look gorgeous.

PC only I assume?

As I said in the other thread this game would also need nil sound effects in vacuum conditions, so no explosion booms. And maybe a mod for no aerodynamics in a vacuum too.

I've not played anything in this genre for decades and that was only briefly on a game I dont recall the name of.

Any chance of exploration on a solo basis? Visiting systems around exotic locations like black holes, neutron stars and the resultant communication attenuation in magnetic fields strong enough like Jupiter's?

Maybe even coming across ancient civilisations wiped out by von Neumann replicators, or Dyson spheres. And random supernova events too.

So much potential in this kind of game beyond trading and dogfighting.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm guessing my laptop isn't going to run this.
  • Cor fucking hell that's a bit pretty!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Should we make this thread the home for Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen?  Both so similar an all.

Here's a choice piece on Elite and Oculus Rift support.  Sounds amaze, but which to choose?!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    So this is made by the a guy who worked on Freelancer, right? Instant attention from me, then.

When's the full release and how do I play now?

This reminds me I recently bought Freespace 2 on Steam and haven't played it yet. TO THE FLIGHTDECK.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Never buy old games off Steam. Mandatory hour before play that's spent scouring the forums for compatibility fixes.
  • Vela wrote:
    Well fuck me. Those screens look gorgeous. PC only I assume? As I said in the other thread this game would also need nil sound effects in vacuum conditions, so no explosion booms. And maybe a mod for no aerodynamics in a vacuum too. I've not played anything in this genre for decades and that was only briefly on a game I dont recall the name of. Any chance of exploration on a solo basis? Visiting systems around exotic locations like black holes, neutron stars and the resultant communication attenuation in magnetic fields strong enough like Jupiter's? Maybe even coming across ancient civilisations wiped out by von Neumann replicators, or Dyson spheres. And random supernova events too. So much potential in this kind of game beyond trading and dogfighting.
    Yeah, PC only. If it does come to consoles it's probably at least a few years away. (PC proper release is probably at least 2 years away). I actually don't mind sounds in Space games, it makes things more interesting and if you really want you can just pretend it's your computer simulating the sounds around you to give you more information. Dunno what sort of locations will be available but i'm sure there will be stuff like that. The universe will have something like 100 star systems and players will be able to find jump points to entirely new ones as well. There will be more to it than trading and dogfighting, in the multiplayer you'll lose your ship if you die and if you have no other in your hanger you have to wait until either the insurance pays out to get you a new one or you have to start working for other people with multi-crew ships. You'll be able to get up and walk around your ship, jump into turrets to defend it (if your ship has them) and there'll even be ship-to-ship boarding to allow you to steal another players ship.
    I'm guessing my laptop isn't going to run this.
    I'd say not. They're aiming their specs for PC hardware that's not even out yet so i'll have to upgrade the PC i'm running it on by the time it's out.
    Bollockoff wrote:
    So this is made by the a guy who worked on Freelancer, right? Instant attention from me, then. When's the full release and how do I play now? This reminds me I recently bought Freespace 2 on Steam and haven't played it yet. TO THE FLIGHTDECK.
    Yeah, Chris Roberts, he made Wing Commander too and you can see the influence from his previous games pop up in this one. If you want to play it now, first you have to make a pledge for a ship - the aurora is the cheapest/most basic ship and it's about $40. Alpha access is no longer included in pledges so if you want to play the dogfighting module you also have to pay $5. There'll be other modules released down the line (like the on-planet foot combat) and you'd have to pay $5 to access those too. The DFM is currently just against A.I. but it will be opening up to PvP withing the next couple of weeks.

@Skerret I don't have Elite Dangerous yet so i'll leave it out for now, but feel free to talk about it here if you want and I might include it later.
  • I want proper gravity so you can slingshot planets and whatnot, and controllable warp speed as opposed to bloody instajump or jumpgates like in X3/Eve/etc.
  • Slingshotting a planet is pointless with a spaceship that has enough power to travel the stars. You can do it in Kerbal Space Program and it's great but I don't think it fits in this type of game. You won't be able to seamlessly land on planets so i'm guessing they won't have gravity either.

Controllable warp speed would be very cool but I doubt we'll see that either. I want it so I can do the Picard maneuver!

edit: added ship commercials to OP.
  • Chris Roberts talking to gamespot at E3

Good info if you'd don't know much about it, shows off where they're at and where they're going with it.
  • I know it's pointless but err, that's not the point. It just kills some of the immersion having no planet gravity or anything. I don't mind physics being tweaked or unrealistic scaling or anything, but its just nicer to have a more physical environment.

It would just be quite fun to fling yourself round solar systems. And it could make for interesting pursuits if say, your warp drive was damaged in a battle and you had to flee on impulse or whatever and you could try to boost what speed you did have by doing a daredevil low orbit hoon. And perhaps seeing some of your pursuers misjudging it and burning up or something.

(I haven't really looked at anything about this game yet, so I don't know if the mechanics will allow any of that.)

Also I think we should have a Space-sim wishful thinking thread, seeing as there's a few new games coming out.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good post Gurty, I fancy some physics in my space sim too now. That Kerbal thing had some, you could establish an orbit and everything.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But for the slingshot to actually be effective you would have to be traveling so slow that the game would be boring. Slingshoting round the earth to the moon still takes days, if you were traveling faster you wouldn't get the slingshot effect you want.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Or the effect of gravity would have to magnified so much it would be odd.
  • But for the slingshot to actually be effective you would have to be traveling so slow that the game would be boring. Slingshoting round the earth to the moon still takes days, if you were traveling faster you wouldn't get the slingshot effect you want.

That's were scaling and physics alterations come in.
  • Good post Gurty, I fancy some physics in my space sim too now. That Kerbal thing had some, you could establish an orbit and everything.
    I've played KSP for about 400 hours and used gravity assists in dozens of different situations, it really isn't suited for this game.

Basically because of this:
    But for the slingshot to actually be effective you would have to be traveling so slow that the game would be boring. Slingshoting round the earth to the moon still takes days, if you were traveling faster you wouldn't get the slingshot effect you want.

KSP lets you fast forward time by up to 10000x and the way they create the world everything you do is relative to your sphere of influence. Even if the amount of time it takes didn't matter you would run into huge problem in the multiplayer world with everyone having different sphere of influences, the KSP multiplayer mod has a workaround for this by letting players be un-synced from each other until they reach the person who is furthest in the future. This simply wouldn't work with Star Citizen.
  • So I have updated the OP as Citizencon was yesterday and it showed a lot more of the game, including a rather nice looking cast. If anyone wants to try out the game you can play for free for the next two weeks using the code "CITCONFLIGHT2K15" at this link.

The download is over 20GB but worth trying if you have a PC that will run it (or want to melt your old PC).

If you use my referral code "STAR-72TM-4GV2" when you signup, you will get 5000 space monies later on if you decide to buy the game and I would also get some minor reward, details here.

If you do decide to get the game you can get it for £30 at either of the following links depending on which ship you want (more details in OP):
    Mustang Alpha Starter
    Aurora-MR-Starter
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'll certainly check it out for free.
  • Kow wrote:
    I'll certainly check it out for free.
    Just a note, you'll probably be flying the ugly, slow (but reliable!) Aurora, if you want to try other ships go into the freeflight mode online and land on a platform, you can get out of your ship and into other players. The controls may take some getting used to.
  • Cheers pie, I'll give this ago tomorrow.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Installed the launcher but it doesn't seem to do anything. Flashes up on the screen for a moment then disappears.
  • Kow wrote:
    Installed the launcher but it doesn't seem to do anything. Flashes up on the screen for a moment then disappears.
    Just checked mine and it was doing the same, could be something to do with their severs. Try running it as admin, I got it working after a few times.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Same thing as administrator. I'll try again in a while. It shows as running in the task manager but it's not actually doing anything. I thought it might be downloading in the background but the router is silent.
‹ Previous123456

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!