PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Cardinality stuff is cool.

Like the proof there are the same number of fractions as integers.

And the proof there aren't the same number of real numbers.

It's amazing that the continuum hypothesis is still a thing, and may be insoluble...
  • There must be somewhere that explains this step by step without assuming i have any idea what any of these letters mean.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'll try my best tomorrow when not watching footy and tapping on my phone.
  • What is meant by imaginary numbers, for example?
  • Sure. guess it shows how boring this game is that i'm in the maths thread while watching. I normally hate maths
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Cardinality stuff is cool. Like the proof there are the same number of fractions as integers. And the proof there aren't the same number of real numbers. It's amazing that the continuum hypothesis is still a thing, and may be insoluble...

See I'd never heard of the continuum hypothesis before.

I'm struggling to think of things here because the names are lost on me, but even relatively simple stuff like products of primes (and more generally, prime numbers) is full of fascinating phenomena.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Imaginary numbers are square roots of negative numbers. Since -1 x -1 = +1, the square root of +1 can be plus or minus 1.

But the square root of -1 can't be +1 or -1, and it is denoted commonly as either i or j.

A complex number is something that has a real (ie normal numbers between plus and minus infinity) and an imaginary component.

For example
     1.896725 is a real number.
    i is an imaginary number.
    1.864586396 + 4i is a complex number.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    On phone so no links. Not sure if there are links tbh. There are no particles and there are no waves, there is only equations and constants

That doesn't mean it's not useful to talk about particles and waves though

Absolutely. If you're going to teach QM well you're going to need particles as a philosophical foothold to start with. You don't need waves at all actually, and they're fairly redundant once you're aware of the madness.

The same as negative numbers with a square root thrown in. Philosophically, the root is merely decoration. The negative is the important bit, so you can see it's not as complex as it first seems

• I don't like maths. It is an ultimately soulless pursuit that teaches us nothing about humanity.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That is illogical
  • Spock wrote:
    I don't like maths. It is an ultimately soulless pursuit that teaches us nothing about humanity.

And yet without it we'd be living in caves still.
  • Highly so. (I'm half human)
  • Spock wrote:
    I don't like maths. It is an ultimately soulless pursuit that teaches us nothing about humanity.

The only real depressing thing about humanity is it's self importance.

• Maths is a tool to facilitate the mundane e.g.  If space gazelle has x amount of horse shit, when will vela's train arrive at Manchester at y?
  • @ Spock - you wouldnt have a train, or a Manchester were it not for the advances in maths that underpins everything we do. But beyond that, it is also incredibly effective at describing the universe itself.

I'd say mathematics has taught us one important thing in particular. Back when theologically inclined mathematicians insisted Pi was exactly 3, the proof to the contrary was an important reminder that reality does not bend to our whims or desires.
  • Indeed mathematics is an important part of the human story; I just consider it a small and twatty part.
  • Spock wrote:
    Maths is a tool to facilitate the mundane e.g.  If space gazelle has x amount of horse shit, when will vela's train arrive at Manchester at y?

You equate maths to quantity and not relationship. It's a common trait tbf.

• I like "The Money Pit", is what I have to say to that.
  • Maths is a tool to facilitate the mundane e.g.  If space gazelle has x amount of horse shit, when will vela's train arrive at Manchester at y?
    You equate maths to quantity and not relationship. It's a common trait tbf.
    Sorry, I didn't really understand you response I.e. Quantity of "x". Relationship between "z" and "y"? And this common trait you speak of? I know nothing about this.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Cardinality stuff is cool. Like the proof there are the same number of fractions as integers. And the proof there aren't the same number of real numbers. It's amazing that the continuum hypothesis is still a thing, and may be insoluble...

It is cool. Integers are countably infinite. That means you can go 1, 2, 3, 4....and so on up to infinity.

Reals are uncountably infinite. What comes after 1? 1.1? 1.01? 1.0000000.........01? No. there's an infinite number of numbers between 1 and 1.1 for example. They are uncountable because you can't get past 1 when trying to count.

It means integers are a subset of reals - an infinitely a much smaller set of numbers compared to reals - and are a level of infinity below the reals.

Integers are designated aleph0 , reals are aleph1. 

Now think about functions represented by code in computer RAM. RAM is a sequence of binary bits that  ultimately represents an integer. So every computer program in existence, and will ever exist in current architecture, will equate to an integer. 

Therefore the number of functions that a computer can deal with is an infinitely small a minute subset of the number of computable functions that map onto reals. It's a miracle computers can do anything.

I like to think the functions not representable by integers are the great imponderables - the real human problems. Since we haven't really come up against the limits of computers (at least in theory - we have a theoretically infinitely powerful computer called a Turning machine with infinite RAM which can still only process functions mapping to integers - even if they are infinitely long and can deal with an infinite number of problems), then we aren't asking the right questions about life.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • You're being a prick. What else do you need to know

@prick
  • I thought we'd finally got a Rachel Riley thread! :)
    I guess I'll have to read it instead when I'm less tired.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Spock wrote:
    I like "The Money Pit", is what I have to say to that.

Without math there is no Hanks.
  • She m..m...m....m....makes my @prick happy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!