Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

More links. I clicked through to the DM article from the first one which said there was a '20% chance' of an ice age. And, incidentally, I do fully believe there will be another ice age. However, none of this has anything to do with AGW.

• That, I agree with. The predicto-models are very very difficult, and it is easy to point out their flaws. Also, when they get reported by the papers, the easy shorthand is to publish the most sensational possibilities rather than the more boring "it could be anything between this and this, with these levels of certainty etc" In turn, the "other side" of the media can say "look at these crazy greenies: they was wrong about ice caps etc". 

Therefore there remains great uncertainty over the effects of rapid climate change. But hopefully I've made it clear that following the debate via mainstream press is hardly the best way to get real knowledge.

What we do have, is broad, sober, non-sensationalist concern amongst climate scientists and ecologists that the effects of rapid climate change will be devastating.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Guys I eat a lot of protein every day, where am I supposed to get this from without meat. Chicken and tuna are like a quarter or more of protein per gram.
    Fermented soybeans, dig in.  Also peanuts are about 28% protein.
    I was gonna holler at this and say hey but tofu only has like 10g of protein per 100 grams compared to chicken but it's also half the calories or something so I guess I can just eat more of it anyway. Okay I'll give this a go.

Won't fermented soybeans turn you into a girl?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Guys I eat a lot of protein every day, where am I supposed to get this from without meat. Chicken and tuna are like a quarter or more of protein per gram.
    I was gonna holler at this and say hey but tofu only has like 10g of protein per 100 grams compared to chicken but it's also half the calories or something so I guess I can just eat more of it anyway. Okay I'll give this a go.
    Tempeh is good, acquired taste though.  There are different types of tofu re: protein per 100g.  There's denser stuff which is good for 20gish.  Cod has 63g per 100, wat
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Nope.  Fermented is the recommended means of preparation too.

Edit; you may be thinking of phytoestrogens, not the same as estrogen.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Fish does seem like the best, am doing some calcs now. Better than soybeans. Trouble is, it's still meat and part of the problem?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You know, looking at more and more data, and it seems the only thing that's out of the ordinary is the amount of dust. According to this Vostok ice core, it has decreased massively. Which is not what you might expect when you think about the industrial revolution, all smog and soot. However dust in the atmosphere provides protection from the sun as well as keeping the earth warm by preventing heat from escaping. Maybe we should burn more shit and get some dust into the atmosphere

Vostok_Petit_data.svg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's farming that's the issue. Non-farmed fish from well-stocked species shouldn't be an issue. Neither should game, for that matter.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    You know, looking at more and more data, and it seems the only thing that's out of the ordinary is the amount of dust.

Lower volcanic activity equals less dust. There have been plans to put dust into the atmosphere to reflect the sun's rays (although without the associated CO2), but that's generally reckoned to be a bad idea due to not knowing what the side effects may be.
  • I just assume all meat production, the partaking of, is contributive. Again, I'm trying to make the headwork easy, I'm not always going to have access to rare S-rank nicefarm stock, so I have to operate on the basis that I never will.

Seriously if I can get this right I'd like to.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Fish does seem like the best, am doing some calcs now. Better than soybeans. Trouble is, it's still meat and part of the problem?
    If you can eyeball the source you can make good choices.  Otherwise it's on faith and this thread is proof that faith sucks.  There's pea protein powder, great stuff. 88g/100.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    You know, looking at more and more data, and it seems the only thing that's out of the ordinary is the amount of dust. According to this Vostok ice core, it has decreased massively. Which is not what you might expect when you think about the industrial revolution, all smog and soot. However dust in the atmosphere provides protection from the sun as well as keeping the earth warm by preventing heat from escaping. Maybe we should burn more shit and get some dust into the atmosphere Vostok_Petit_data.svg

So there's more to this than we currently understand?

I'm not just being thick?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Skerret wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Nope.  Fermented is the recommended means of preparation too. Edit; you may be thinking of phytoestrogens, not the same as estrogen.

Yep, also tofu is apparently terrible for you as well as edamame!!!! Who'd have thought. Fermented stuff is all good though (only a cursory look at 5 or 6 websites).
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Seriously if I can get this right I'd like to.
    Indeed.  Easier out this way by far.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Fish does seem like the best, am doing some calcs now. Better than soybeans. Trouble is, it's still meat and part of the problem?

No because when you take fish out of the sea, there's more room for water, so you help prevent rising sea levels

In all seriousness, fish are part of the solution. As free range as you like, cracking source of protein (as you said) and very efficient even on small scales
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I eat sardines from a tin 3/4 times a week. That's about it in terms of the dead stuff. Am I cool?

I drink milk like no one's business.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    You know, looking at more and more data, and it seems the only thing that's out of the ordinary is the amount of dust. According to this Vostok ice core, it has decreased massively. Which is not what you might expect when you think about the industrial revolution, all smog and soot. However dust in the atmosphere provides protection from the sun as well as keeping the earth warm by preventing heat from escaping. Maybe we should burn more shit and get some dust into the atmosphere Vostok_Petit_data.svg
    So there's more to this than we currently understand? I'm not just being thick?

I think that the chances of the amount of dust in the atmosphere having been overlooked by climatologists until this very moment are vanishingly slim.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I eat sardines from a tin 3/4 times a week. That's about it in terms of the dead stuff. Am I cool?

Do you recycle the tin?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don't think they've been ignored, I'm looking at three metrics, neither the temperature nor CO2 levels look to be outside of their historically normal bounds, however dust is
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I eat sardines from a tin 3/4 times a week. That's about it in terms of the dead stuff. Am I cool?
    Do you recycle the tin?
    Erm....

[eyes shift furtively from side to side]

.....yes.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    edamame!!!
    Does this explain Bean's predilection for nonsense.

There's a mass of misinfo out there on soy; read up on the Weston A Price foundation for climate-denial tier madness and vested interests.
  • I have, and always will, steer clear of tofu.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    So there's more to this than we currently understand? I'm not just being thick?
    I think that the chances of the amount of dust in the atmosphere having been overlooked by climatologists until this very moment are vanishingly slim.

Funnily enough, I was mostly concentrating on the temperature variation cycle.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I eat sardines from a tin 3/4 times a week. That's about it in terms of the dead stuff. Am I cool? I drink milk like no one's business.
    No and me too, getting through 18 litres.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    I have, and always will, steer clear of tofu.
    Mm, best to go with your gut.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    I eat sardines from a tin 3/4 times a week. That's about it in terms of the dead stuff. Am I cool? I drink milk like no one's business.
    No and me too, getting through 18 litres.

A week?

Seriously?

You should be built like Haggar...
  • So far my best, locally accessible bet seems to be cooked shrimp.

Working on trying to get least calories for most protein per weight, anyway. Haven't factored in price yet.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @dynamite: Week and a half.  I am, not.  Milkfat keeps me supple.
  • Listen it comes down to a very simple thing. There are people who's profession it is to study the globe's climate. They are all, down to a person or two, very worried about climate change, and they all, down to a person or two, agree that humans are playing a serious part in this.

Looking at graphs is great. But I'm usually going to believe the experts, just like I usually believe a doctor. Or more accurately, just like I would usually believe the vast majority of doctors telling me the same thing.

I do not understand what it is about climate science that makes armchair data experts of all of us. Interpreting data, analysing it, theorising changes - why trust you when I can trust the experts? Am I really being gullible?

Why is there so much scepticism about these poor scientists in this, more than any other area?
    Ask yourself this.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    So far my best, locally accessible bet seems to be cooked shrimp. Working on trying to get least calories for most protein per weight, anyway. Haven't factored in price yet.
    WAo8xFcl.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!