Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Just to recap, on the one hand we have 97% of 12,000 peer reviewed articles on climate change, on the other, 5 academics who feel that their articles were misrepresented in that study, a geologist, a biogeologist who doesn't dispute the fact he has no climate credentials, an economist and the Deceiver of the Year 1995 who believes that dowsing can be scientifically proven, but who refuses to do so under controlled conditions despite being offered a million dollars to do so. Tit for tat my arse.

Erm:
    We analyze the evolution of the scientific consensus on anthropogenic global warming (AGW) in the peer-reviewed scientific literature, examining 11 944 climate abstracts from 1991–2011 matching the topics 'global climate change' or 'global warming'. We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming.

Yoss isn't it 32.63% of the 11,944 endorsed the consensus position?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    True, I overstated that one. It's still quite a consensus.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Even if it's all made up, even if all these scientific experts are covering their backs and fishing for grants with their doomsday hypothes, even if all that is possibly true, what is the worst that could happen? We waste a lot of time/money cutting back on mindless consumption and pollution for the sake of nothing? I'd certainly take that over total population collapse and the end of a habitable planet.
    THIS. THIS MULTIPLIED BY INFINITY MULTIPLIED BY THE KELVIN INVREASE IN GRIFFS HOT SPACE.

OK we're all on board!

No wait hardly anyone is on board. And in fact vast forces are arrayed against anyone else getting on board. Forces that propagate stories like "this has all happened before naturally, don't worry" and "actually it's all made up by scientists-as-shills tsp scientists eh?" and "ooh wouldn't it be awful if you had to give up on shiny-shiny here look it's shiny you want one right now" and so on.

So, making people aware of the threat might just be enough to offset against their desire to do nothing and ignore all. Exhorting them to be more green simply will not work, especially if they do not believe in the imminent threat.
  • Unless you use cellulose based plastics.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Don't eat a hamburger patty then, also where do these 18000 gallons of water go, because surely given that McDonalds alone have sold an estimated 300 billion burgers, we'd see some reduction in sea level. I'm talking about eating locally, seasonally, and within your budget.
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Just to recap, on the one hand we have 97% of 12,000 peer reviewed articles on climate change, on the other, 5 academics who feel that their articles were misrepresented in that study, a geologist, a biogeologist who doesn't dispute the fact he has no climate credentials, an economist and the Deceiver of the Year 1995 who believes that dowsing can be scientifically proven, but who refuses to do so under controlled conditions despite being offered a million dollars to do so. Tit for tat my arse.
    Erm: We analyze the evolution of the scientific consensus on anthropogenic global warming (AGW) in the peer-reviewed scientific literature, examining 11 944 climate abstracts from 1991–2011 matching the topics 'global climate change' or 'global warming'. We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming. Yoss isn't it 32.63% of the 11,944 endorsed the consensus position?

Clearly not - you can only rate those that take a position on AGW. Those that don't are surely irrelevant to the count, since they are not actively investigating the link?
  • But stating 97% of 12,000 is exceptionally misleading.
  • Ben Goldacre field day.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Don't eat a hamburger patty then, also where do these 18000 gallons of water go, because surely given that McDonalds alone have sold an estimated 300 billion burgers, we'd see some reduction in sea level. I'm talking about eating locally, seasonally, and within your budget.

Eh? Seriously? The water cycle?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wow, when the conservatives were voted with a similar percentage of publicly expressed support, lots of people complained and called it a fraud, however when AGW get's 30% approval rating it's fact

What I'm most disappointed by is that only 0.3% of these people are actually scientists, why the hell did 66% say "I'm not telling you" rather than "I don't know"
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Exactly the water cycle, so why say it 'costs' 18000 gallons of water to make a burger patty
  • Homeopathic burger water tastes funny.
  • It's why the wife has a Brita filter.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Even if it's all made up, even if all these scientific experts are covering their backs and fishing for grants with their doomsday hypothes, even if all that is possibly true, what is the worst that could happen? We waste a lot of time/money cutting back on mindless consumption and pollution for the sake of nothing? I'd certainly take that over total population collapse and the end of a habitable planet.
    THIS. THIS MULTIPLIED BY INFINITY MULTIPLIED BY THE KELVIN INVREASE IN GRIFFS HOT SPACE.

This is how I feel too. If climate scientists are right and we ignore them we're all dead and the planet is destroyed. If climate change deniers are right and we ignore them then we...just have different industries and business to before (ie renewable vs fossil fuel or whatever), but otherwise stuff mostly carries on as normal. Doesn't seem like such a hard choice.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Erm: We analyze the evolution of the scientific consensus on anthropogenic global warming (AGW) in the peer-reviewed scientific literature, examining 11 944 climate abstracts from 1991–2011 matching the topics 'global climate change' or 'global warming'. We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming. Yoss isn't it 32.63% of the 11,944 endorsed the consensus position?

http://skepticalscience.com/97-percent-consensus-cook-et-al-2013.html
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I suspected there was a better view of that same study. Thanks, Griff*.

*Blimey... When have I ever written that?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Wow, when the conservatives were voted with a similar percentage of publicly expressed support, lots of people complained and called it a fraud, however when AGW get's 30% approval rating it's fact

What I'm most disappointed by is that only 0.3% of these people are actually scientists, why the hell did 66% say "I'm not telling you" rather than "I don't know"

Because they weren't asked for their personal opinions, they were asked what their findings showed. Check Skezza's link.

cockbeard wrote:
    Exactly the water cycle, so why say it 'costs' 18000 gallons of water to make a burger patty

Because it tends to be treated water. The water molecules return to the atmosphere, but they're no longer treated.
  • Yes it's 97% of papers that express an opinion, their opinion is its happening and it's likely caused by humans. Those papers that don't have an opinion can't have their opinion analysed.

Edit: Pretty late with that one.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    But stating 97% of 12,000 is exceptionally misleading.

Agreed. I have never stated that.

I have stated that climate scientists agree with the view that humans have a significant effect on climate change. This is indisputable. See skez link, ipcc, etc.

Cocko you do get this really. 66% of the papers expressed no opinion on agw not because they were hedging bets but because that was not what their paper was about, within the large field of climate science. Those that were about agw agree almost universally that agw is a thing.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    This is how I feel too. If climate scientists are right and we ignore them we're all dead and the planet is destroyed. If climate change deniers are right and we ignore them then we...just have different industries and business to before (ie renewable vs fossil fuel or whatever), but otherwise stuff mostly carries on as normal. Doesn't seem like such a hard choice.

Pascal's wager?
  • dafuq on this 97% issue and pissing about over semantics and a handful of dissenting voices being some kind of evidence or reason for having a discussion or being able to refute that climate change is a thing that man is having an effect over when 40% of Americans believe that creationism is how man came to walk upon the earth
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Pascal was a thicko.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Pascal hedged his bets, less thicko, more pussy who should have had a little conviction

A large problem is that we only started taking measurements at almost the exact same time we started rapidly increasing the amount of CO2 we place in the atmosphere. Is this situation reversible? How long before we see any benefits? Do we really give a fuck about future generations?
  • And my question was, and still is, what is the correlate? Co2s? That's disputable, the chart makes that an easy challenge.

So to recap. You agree climate change is happening right now. You agree that it is happening very quickly. Correct?

So you've moved on to the third question, which was "are humans responsible for at least a significant amount of this recent change", and you have dodged it, and gone straight on to CO2. Whether CO2 has an effect on climate is utterly and totally indisputable. The greenhouse effect is a real thing, which keeps us alive, and frankly bugger off back to GSCE Science if you don't get that.

As for the chart somehow showing that CO2 is not a major, or the major factor in increased temperatures, I don't understand what you mean. It shows that the temperature has gone up and stayed up. There are questions over why it didn't continue to go up, and they have been addressed in various ways as has been pointed out to you. But in any case the chart provides absolutely no evidence whatsoever that CO2 is not a major factor in climate change. Next:
    The birth rate is a strong one, but we haven't examined that yet.

I'm at a loss about this one. Why would birth rate have an effect on global climate? And how can you show (i.e.: not just conjecture or theorising, but actual evidence-based research) that this effect is real and more important than, say, CO2?
    Agriculture is also a major one...

Um, agriculture is cited as a cause for climate change because DUM DUM DUUUUM it is responsible for vast amounts of greenhouse gas emissions. Are you actually arguing against your self now?
    And how do we set up 'controls' for lab work in an experiment performed on a living system? How do we know if this pattern of climate change has anything to do with us, and not an unknown cosmic phenomenon?  And how do we explain ice ages of the past? Do you think we may see another ice age in the future? There's still a great deal of dispute about the cause of the ice age, and that's in the benefit of hindsight...

What you are asking for is scientific research. Which is what has been done. And the best evidence, analysed by the best minds, has led to the conclusion that this time, humans are having a major effect. What I love about this is the dichotomy you seem unaware of: on the one hand, you demand a simple fact-based explanation for everything otherwise there will always be doubt. On the other: there can never be fact-based explanation because it's too complex man! brilliant, i mean brilliant rhetoric you should write for the daily telegraph.
    What's wrong with asking questions aout the subject?  I'm trying to say that it's impossible to be certain about this, and that the intelligent thing to do, is to learn more...

There's nothing wrong with questions. And there's nothing wrong with doing research. You should take your own advice and actually read the science (NOT the telegraph). It is impossible to be certain about things in science, yes. What it is not impossible to be is pretty damn sure. Do you want to argue against a lot of scientists saying they are pretty damn sure? On what basis? With what evidence?
  • Roujin wrote:
    dafuq on this 97% issue and pissing about over semantics and a handful of dissenting voices being some kind of evidence or reason for having a discussion or being able to refute that climate change is a thing that man is having an effect over when 40% of Americans believe that creationism is how man came to walk upon the earth

I have an American friend I always thought was pretty intelligent and reasoned. One day in conversation we ended up talking about languages, I forget exactly how we got onto the subject, but he legit, genuinely, 100% believed the tower of Babel was the answer. He said he genuinely couldn't think of another way it would be possible for different languages to evolve. I was dumbfounded. I don't even know how to reason with that kind of logic.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Pascal hedged his bets, less thicko, more pussy who should have had a little conviction A large problem is that we only started taking measurements at almost the exact same time we started rapidly increasing the amount of CO2 we place in the atmosphere. Is this situation reversible? How long before we see any benefits? Do we really give a fuck about future generations?

You've said this a few times, Vela has already corrected you - we have vast amounts of historical and pre-historical data on CO2 concentrations from ice cores, tree rings, geological records and so on. Not as accurate as sticking a filter paper in the air and saying ooh x ppm, but still valid.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    dafuq on this 97% issue and pissing about over semantics and a handful of dissenting voices being some kind of evidence or reason for having a discussion or being able to refute that climate change is a thing that man is having an effect over when 40% of Americans believe that creationism is how man came to walk upon the earth

Yes... We're seeing a similar level of fanaticism here.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • DR man he's having a go at YOU not us. There is no fanaticism. There is adherence to the findings of the science. Your lack of adherence to this is strange because your alternatives are...what? Faith?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!