The robots are coming. Restructure the economy. Go.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't think anyone is saying it's not going to happen, but it's not going to happen any time soon, because there are a lot more complications that need to be overcome compared to other autonomous systems.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Let me answer that with a better question...

Why did you think I posted that link?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I think the only thing stopping automation of haulage is the unions, as that video shows in the US, largest employment sector and largest union is the haulage sector.

It's people who'll stop automation, not the current level of tech.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Let me answer that with a better question... Why did you think I posted that link?
    I've no idea. What was your point?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I don't think anyone is saying it's not going to happen, but it's not going to happen any time soon, because there are a lot more complications that need to be overcome compared to other autonomous systems.

I understand it's not going to happen tomorrow.

The current point of contention is more to do with which one is more difficult to automate...
    An automobile, or an aircraft.

Unlike Bruce Lee vs Tyson, it's a very interesting question, and it has no clear cut answer, because in both systems, you're going to have to make some life and death decisions.

As for the idea of a car "just stopping", how do you "just stop" at 70 mph, when a kid decides it's a good time to try and retrieve his ball from the middle of a busy dual carriage way?

This in itself is an interesting problem, quite apart from the plane / car automaton comparison.
    In fact, I do wonder what kind of provision Google have made for that...

But asking more questions like that, when people won't even let me post an interesting link without a citation, introduction and justification is a bit stupid.
  • But asking more questions like that, when people won't even let me post an interesting link without a citation, introduction and justification is a bit stupid.
    Feel free to ask questions like that, or even post a point, but just posting random links without any accompanying opinion seems like a rather pointless exercise.
  • We basically need automated flying cars
  • I doubt unions are an obstacle here for haulage, getting it all legal seems like the biggest problem on the roads. Even if you make it demonstrably safer than a human driver, people will still have doubts.

The aviation stuff will go military first, big benefits from removing the pilot - performance, endurance and no risk of losing a man and they can afford the cost. The downside seems pretty low as long as your plane isn't flying over population centres. 

I can imagine them getting it to work for airliners and only using it as an emergency system for years. People will want that pilot up front.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    We basically need automated forum humour punchline bots.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    But asking more questions like that, when people won't even let me post an interesting link without a citation, introduction and justification is a bit stupid.
    Feel free to ask questions like that, or even post a point, but just posting random links without any accompanying opinion seems like a rather pointless exercise.

http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh
  • g.man wrote:
    How the fuck am I going to do this then?:
    Well, I presume you read the article that you linked, so it would be customary to post an opinion on it when you linked it, that way you tend to encourage an actual debate.
    I don't really understand what your problem is here? Just tell us what your opinion is?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    How the fuck am I going to do this then?:
    Well, I presume you read the article that you linked, so it would be customary to post an opinion on it when you linked it, that way you tend to encourage an actual debate. I don't really understand what your problem is here? Just tell us what your opinion is?

Fuck G!

You killed teh lolz...
  • *shrugs*
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's clearly easier to automate a car for the simple reason I've stated many times. "If in doubt, stop."
  • We basically need to stop.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    I want to know when we're going to get automated bicycles.
    The janitor.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    We basically need automated forum humour punchline bots.

I'll be damned if I let some robot come in and take my job.
  • What? Professional Guardian poster? More "A" than "AI".
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If I don't do it, how is anyone going to be able to have any opinions at all? It's a public service.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's clearly easier to automate a car for the simple reason I've stated many times. "If in doubt, stop."

There's a nice, succinct high level summary and survey on the Economist:

http://www.economist.com/economist-asks/will-pilotless-aircraft-take-driverless-cars

I think some people believe automated commercial flights are more likely than automated cars, because while flying a plane is more complicated than driving a car on one level, the fact is, aircraft designers have been working on various aspects of the problem from almost the very beginning.

And indeed, technologies like ABS have actually come from aeronautical practice as far back as the 50's...

That said, there's a lively discussion in the comments section, and like I've already agreed, both problems are fucking complicated.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Me saying it is easier is false. Safer and therefore more financially viable is probably more accurate.
  • When everything is automated in the current system of capitalism which is controlled and massively influenced by the global financial elite, what the fuck are us plebs going to do for work?

Just because some things can be automated, it doesn't mean they should, especially if the only thing automation achieves is larger profit margins at the expense of workforce jobs. 

Fuck modern capitalism and the free market, we're basically fucking ourselves in the ass so that the minority can make more money at our expense. Seriously why the fuck are we so obsessed with making everything automated? Shit I don't even have to deal with people at the petrol station or the supermarket or even go to a fucking shop anymore to get anything. I want to punch myself in the fuck.

Automated cars, woo! Cars that you bet your ass will want to drive themselves to the main dealer for servicing instead of letting you send them to an independent garage. Cars that the popo will be able to pull over at will, woo! Cars that presumably will drive you to the cop shop if you get in one with an outstanding warrant or something. Woooooooooo for all the many systems completely open to abuse. Woo to all the cars telling GCHQ exactly where they are, how many people are in the car (it will count seatbelts being fastened for all occupants before it will set off). Now do this x1000 with an automated plane and put unpopular political figure x from country y that the west are really annoyed with because they wont sign unfavourable trade deals. 

God I fucking hate myself.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Automation could, theoretically, release us all from the drudgery of spending most of our lives at work. How great would that be?
  • My work is anything but drudgery tyvm.
  • What are we realistically going to do with all the time?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You won't care where the car goes for servicing because you don't own it
  • monkey wrote:
    What are we realistically going to do with all the time?

Party like its 1999?
  • I call bullshit on the theory because the theory is reliant on some kind of global moral conscience emerging in humanity and our leaders deciding that we no longer want to live in a monetarily controlled global society. A society that is controlled by the people with the most money in a society that only really values the aquisition of wealth, so to abandon this system would mean all the most powerful people giving up all their power.

I might be wrong, but giving up accumulated power is not something our idiot chimp brains seem to be very good at dealing with.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    My work is anything but drudgery tyvm.

Fair play. I doubt that most people feel that way about their work.
    monkey wrote:
    What are we realistically going to do with all the time?

Whatever you want. Learn an instrument, learn a language, study a subject that you want to learn more about, write a book, try to read every book in your local library, visit every country on the planet. The possibilities are literally endless.
    Roujin wrote:
    I might be wrong, but giving up accumulated power is not something our idiot chimp brains seem to be very good at dealing with.

This is true, hence 'theoretically'. Still, if it did happen, I can't think of anything more positive for humanity.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!